    Bullybear's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?u=5303
    View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=100073

    http://forums.techarena.i

    Bullybear, Jul 14, 2008

  2. Bullybear

    thecreator Guest

    Hi Bullybear,

    Yes you are asking for problems. Reformat and install the operating
    system from scratch, without the 32-bit drivers installed.

    --
    thecreator

    thecreator, Jul 14, 2008

  3. "Bullybear" <> wrote in message

    > Questions from a laypersons perspective.
    >
    > I'm purchasing a computer that is only available with 32-bit Vista Home
    > Premium. If I get the upgrade for 64-bit directly from Microsoft and
    > install it over/in place of the 32-bit version am I asking for
    > problems.
    >
    > I guess that's it for now. If not convinced to keep the 32-bit, or
    > purchase the new computer with the 64-bit version already installed,
    > I'll be checking back for advice when I screw up the upgrade. : )
    >

    > --
    > Bullybear
    > Bullybear's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?u=53034
    > View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=1000732
    >
    > http://forums.techarena.in

    I think you are referring to the Anytime Upgrade. You may be able to do
    that but some users have reported problems getting the x64 version of the
    upgrade instead of the default x86. I suggest that you just buy a retail
    upgrade edition of VHP (or Ultimate).

    An Anytime Upgrade is tied to a specific copy of Windows and yours is OEM.
    Because the original VHP is not tranferrable to another computer neither
    will the AU license be either. However, a retail upgrade edition is
    transferrable in such a situation.

    When you buy a retail upgrade VHP you get an x86 dvd and intructions for
    obtaining the x64 dvd for $10 shipping and handling.

    You will need to download the x64 drivers and utilities from your mfg's
    website to have ready when you migrate. You will perform the migration to
    x64 by booting the computer with the x64 dvd and doing a Custom install.
    Resist the temptation to reconfigure your partitions by deleting the
    recovery partition. You will need it in the future even if you think you
    won't today.

    You will have to reinstall your software and restore your files and
    settings. Windows Easy Transfer works across x86 and x64 so save the
    transfer file to intermediate storage.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 14, 2008
  4. If you have 32-bit Windows and you want to 'upgrade' to
    Vista x64, you don't have a choice. Vista x64 will not
    allow you to 'upgrade' a 32-bit installation - you must do a
    clean install of x64.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 14, 2008
  5. Bullybear

    Bullybear Guest