Upgrading the Cisco IOS on Cisco router 3640.

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by benchmark, Jul 28, 2007.

  1. benchmark

    benchmark Guest

    I will need to upgrade the Cisco IOS on the above-mentioned Cisco
    router 3640 so that I can use it as a VPN gateway for a project. I
    already obtained the instructions involved from Cisco's website site.
    However, when I change the configuration register from 0x2102 to
    0x2101 and reboot the router, the router does not go into RxBoot Mode.
    ie.router(boot)>.
    I have a Cisco router 2503 at home which uses the same Cisco IOS
    upgrade instructions as the Cisco router 3620 and when it is put into
    RxBoot mode, it displays this prompt i.e.router(boot)> were 'router'
    is the name of the router after changing the configuration register to
    0x2101 and rebooting the router. The Cisco instructions also states
    that you cannot upgrade the Cisco IOS on the router in priviledged
    mode i.e.router#.
    Any answers will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Benchmark.

    benchmark, Jul 28, 2007

  2. benchmark

    Merv Guest

    1. post the output of the command "dir all"

    2. post the output of "show version"

    Merv, Jul 28, 2007

  3. benchmark

    benchmark Guest

    On Jul 28, 8:40 am, Merv <> wrote:
    > 1. post the output of the command "dir all"
    >
    > 2. post the output of "show version"

    Hi Merv,
    Here is "dir all"

    Router1#dir all
    Directory of nvram:/

    28 -rw- 725 <no date> startup-config
    29 ---- 5 <no date> private-config

    30712 bytes total (29930 bytes free)
    Directory of system:/

    12 drwx 0 <no date> its
    2 dr-x 0 <no date> memory
    1 -rw- 725 <no date> running-config
    11 dr-x 0 <no date> vfiles

    No space information available
    Directory of flash:/

    1 -rw- 15075216 <no date> c3620-is-mz.
    122-15.T5.bin

    16252928 bytes total (1177648 bytes free)

    Also here is sh ver

    Router1#sh ver
    Cisco Internetwork Operating System
    Software
    IOS (tm) 3600 Software (C3620-IS-M), Version 12.2(15)T5, RELEASE
    SOFTWARE
    (fc1)

    TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/tac
    Compiled Thu 12-Jun-03 03:15 by eaarmas
    Image text-base: 0x60008950, data-base: 0x61834000

    ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(17)AA, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE
    SOFTWARE (fc
    2)

    Router1 uptime is 2 minutes
    System returned to ROM by power-on
    System image file is "flash:c3620-is-mz.122-15.T5.bin"

    cisco 3620 (R4700) processor (revision 0x81) with 61440K/4096K bytes
    of memory.
    Processor board ID 07655183
    R4700 CPU at 80Mhz, Implementation 33, Rev 1.0
    Bridging software.
    X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
    1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    DRAM configuration is 32 bits wide with parity disabled.
    16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

    Configuration register is 0x2102

    Thanks in advance,
    Benchmark.

    benchmark, Jul 28, 2007
  4. benchmark

    Merv Guest

    I can see from the dir all that you do not have any PCMCIA flash cards
    in slot0 or slot1.

    I would HIGHLY recommend you get one; even better two.

    Otherwise you will need to delete the image that is in flash: in order
    to install new image as the flash memory is 16MB and your current
    image is just under that.

    I am not a big fan of having to delete the production image from a
    router.

    One of the things you should do is to make sure there is a backup copy
    of the curretn image ona TFTP server !!!

    BTW what is the target image name that you are trying to load ?

    Merv, Jul 28, 2007
  5. benchmark

    benchmark Guest

    On Jul 28, 5:10 pm, Merv <> wrote:
    > I can see from the dir all that you do not have any PCMCIA flash cards
    > in slot0 or slot1.
    >
    > I would HIGHLY recommend you get one; even better two.
    >
    > Otherwise you will need to delete the image that is in flash: in order
    > to install new image as the flash memory is 16MB and your current
    > image is just under that.
    >
    > I am not a big fan of having to delete the production image from a
    > router.
    >
    > One of the things you should do is to make sure there is a backup copy
    > of the curretn image ona TFTP server !!!
    >
    > BTW what is the target image name that you are trying to load ?

    Hi Merv,
    Thanks for your prompt reply and suggestion. However, I do
    not need any PCMCIA cards. If you look at the sh ver output, the
    System Flash is System flash(Read/Write). Any router that has System
    Flash(Read/Write) is a run from RAM and should be able to be updated
    without changing the config register bits. I have already done this on
    my Cisco router 3620 at home in my CCNP and it worked fine. However, I
    found out this information in this forum after posting my message.
    Thanks anyway.

    Benchmark.

    benchmark, Jul 28, 2007
  6. benchmark

    benchmark Guest

    On Jul 28, 5:34 pm, benchmark <> wrote:
    > On Jul 28, 5:10 pm, Merv <> wrote:
    >

    > > I can see from the dir all that you do not have any PCMCIA flash cards
    > > in slot0 or slot1.

    > > I would HIGHLY recommend you get one; even better two.

    > > Otherwise you will need to delete the image that is in flash: in order
    > > to install new image as the flash memory is 16MB and your current
    > > image is just under that.

    > > I am not a big fan of having to delete the production image from a
    > > router.

    > > One of the things you should do is to make sure there is a backup copy
    > > of the curretn image ona TFTP server !!!

    > > BTW what is the target image name that you are trying to load ?

    > Hi Merv,
    > Thanks for your prompt reply and suggestion. However, I do
    > not need any PCMCIA cards. If you look at the sh ver output, the
    > System Flash is System flash(Read/Write). Any router that has System
    > Flash(Read/Write) is a run from RAM and should be able to be updated
    > without changing the config register bits. I have already done this on
    > my Cisco router 3620 at home in my CCNP and it worked fine. However, I
    > found out this information in this forum after posting my message.
    > Thanks anyway.
    >
    > Benchmark.- Hide quoted text -

    Hi Merv,
    In the above message, CCNP should have been CCNP lab. Sorry
    for the typo.
    Benchmark.

    benchmark, Jul 28, 2007
  7. benchmark

    Merv Guest

    Yes I am aware that system flash is read/write; I have upgraded flash-
    based images numerous times.

    My personal preference is to make use of the PCMCIA capability as one
    can quickly fall back to a previous prodcution image if something goes
    wrong.

    Be aware that installing any new image brings with it a chance of
    encountering bugs ( in some case quite a high chance).

    With a PCMCIA card, all one has to do is change a boot command in the
    config and reload - something you might want to keep in mind...

    Merv, Jul 28, 2007
  8. benchmark

    benchmark Guest

    On Jul 28, 5:54 pm, Merv <> wrote:
    > Yes I am aware that system flash is read/write; I have upgraded flash-
    > based images numerous times.
    >
    > My personal preference is to make use of the PCMCIA capability as one
    > can quickly fall back to a previous prodcution image if something goes
    > wrong.
    >
    > Be aware that installing any new image brings with it a chance of
    > encountering bugs ( in some case quite a high chance).
    >
    > With a PCMCIA card, all one has to do is change a boot command in the
    > config and reload - something you might want to keep in mind...

    Hi Merv,
    Thanks again for your explanation. How do I go about using
    the PCMCIA cards in a Cisco 3640 router? Any information appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Benchmark.

    benchmark, Jul 28, 2007
  9. benchmark

    Merv Guest

    install a PCMCIA card in say slot0.

    copy a target IOS image to the flash image to slot0: (i.e copy tftp://<ip
    address>/image-name slot0:image-name

    config t
    boot system flash slot0:image-name
    end