    Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance,
    , Mar 1, 2008

  2. Shel-hed Guest

    On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 19:18:40 -0800 (PST), wrote:

    >Hello all,
    >Forgive my noob status, but I am preparing to upgrade the Pentium III
    >Socket 370 Processor in my Dell Optiplex GX110 tower.
    >
    >I wanted to know any information or resources online or books that you
    >would recommend reading in order to have a sufficient body of
    >knowledge to upgrade the processor to a 1Ghz processor from a 733 MHz
    >processor.

    Dell model numbers are useless. Look and see what chipset it is, then see what
    other motherboards support. If they support a PIII 1 Ghz/133, then just plug
    the processor in and go.
    Shel-hed, Mar 1, 2008

  3. PeeCee Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    > Forgive my noob status, but I am preparing to upgrade the Pentium III
    > Socket 370 Processor in my Dell Optiplex GX110 tower.
    >
    > I wanted to know any information or resources online or books that you
    > would recommend reading in order to have a sufficient body of
    > knowledge to upgrade the processor to a 1Ghz processor from a 733 MHz
    > processor.
    >
    > Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,

    Chris

    I think you may be disappointed at how little performance gain you'll get
    from such an upgrade.
    From experience the only worthwhile upgrade to a PC of your specification is
    to add more RAM unless it is already 512MB or more.
    Then there is the bang for buck factor, so often the money spent 'upgrading'
    an older PC like is better saved for a faster 'new' box.

    If you 'do' want to give it a go 'and' you have a source for a faster CPU:
    (second hand??, the're not availble new AFAIK)

    1 Find out from your manual if your motherboard will indeed support a faster
    CPU
    2 Preprepare your new CPU by cleaning off old heat sink compound (assuming
    used CPU) likewise with the heat sink (this maybe after step 4 if you are
    reusing the old Heat sink)
    3 Disconnect mains power to Tower and open case, ground yourself to the
    chassis with a grounding strap.
    4 Disconnect the CPU fan power lead from the motherboard, then release the
    heatsink clips and remove same.
    5 Lift the lever running down one side of the CPU socket and lift out the
    CPU noting the orientation of it, i.e. which corner goes where. Place CPU in
    antistatic container.
    6 Making sure you have the orientation correct (ie which corner goes where)
    drop in the new CPU (do not! force it) and close the lever.
    7Apply a 'thin' layer of CPU Heat Compound and spread it evenly over the
    heat sink spreader, likewise the heat sink contact surface.
    8 Install and lock down the Heat sink & attach CPU Fan power lead.
    9 Check, check, check then test power up.

    If these instructions are insufficient for you then I respectfully suggest
    you get someone else to do it.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Mar 1, 2008
  4. why? Guest

    On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 19:18:40 -0800 (PST), wrote:

    >Hello all,
    >Forgive my noob status, but I am preparing to upgrade the Pentium III

    Like stop now and get a better PC.

    >Socket 370 Processor in my Dell Optiplex GX110 tower.

    Don't bother, the rest of the system isn't up to it. We have been
    replacing all of those at work over the last 2 years. Some of the few
    left now run Linux status monitors and a copule given to me to use at
    home, oddly enough are Linux as well.

    These aren't like generic PCs where you can fine tune FSB, voltages an
    so on.

    >I wanted to know any information or resources online or books that you
    >would recommend reading in order to have a sufficient body of
    >knowledge to upgrade the processor to a 1Ghz processor from a 733 MHz
    >processor.

    Not much of a difference worth noticing.

    Well lets see, the on line Dell manuals, support, user forum.

    BTW with Dells it's better to include the service tag and the model.

    >Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks in advance,

    Me
    why?, Mar 1, 2008