Upgrading RAM and Graphics Card...

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. Hi there, been a while - hope everyone's doing well :)

    As part of my old job we were given PCs through the company and I'd like
    to upgrade mine. I got a HP Photosmart Media centre m1070.uk computer
    (now discontinued).

    I've been wanting to upgrade it's ram from 512 to 1024mb and I'm a bit
    stuck. SysoftSandra won't identify it but according to this site:

    http://www.hardware-corner.net/hp/hp_media_center_m1000_series_photosmart_pc/index.html

    It;s PC3200 DDR

    Now... I've looked on the dabs.com website and I am *not* paying over
    £250 for 1gb of RAM. My question is: will NORMAL Kingston/Corsair PC3200
    DDR ram work? ie, can I rip out the 512mb and shove in a 1gb stick? I'm
    a little afraid of buying it and then finding out HP have some sort of
    "special shape" ram to prevent you upgrading it.

    Next, the graphics card.

    I have a PCIe X300 from ATI, and I want to upgrade this to something a
    lot nicer. Will any PCIe card work? Or with PCIe is there things like
    5.5v, 3v etc like with AGP cards?

    Please help - buying it over the weekend hopefully :D

    thanks

    - Weyoun

    --
    Your archaic cultures are authority driven. To facilitate our
    introduction into your societies, it has been decided that a Human voice
    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jan 20, 2006

  2. Weyoun the Dancing Borg wrote:
    > Hi there, been a while - hope everyone's doing well :)
    >
    > As part of my old job we were given PCs through the company and I'd like
    > to upgrade mine. I got a HP Photosmart Media centre m1070.uk computer
    > (now discontinued).
    >
    > I've been wanting to upgrade it's ram from 512 to 1024mb and I'm a bit
    > stuck. SysoftSandra won't identify it but according to this site:
    >
    > http://www.hardware-corner.net/hp/hp_media_center_m1000_series_photosmart_pc/index.html
    >

    > It;s PC3200 DDR
    >
    > Now... I've looked on the dabs.com website and I am *not* paying over
    > £250 for 1gb of RAM. My question is: will NORMAL Kingston/Corsair PC3200
    > DDR ram work? ie, can I rip out the 512mb and shove in a 1gb stick? I'm
    > a little afraid of buying it and then finding out HP have some sort of
    > "special shape" ram to prevent you upgrading it.
    >

    > Next, the graphics card.
    >
    > I have a PCIe X300 from ATI, and I want to upgrade this to something a
    > lot nicer. Will any PCIe card work? Or with PCIe is there things like
    > 5.5v, 3v etc like with AGP cards?
    >

    > Please help - buying it over the weekend hopefully :D
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > - Weyoun

    hmm after speaking to "Richard" in presales at HP apparently they use
    Kingston RAM anyway so that's easy enough.

    graphics card though.... any ideas? Can I shove in any old PCIe?

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jan 20, 2006

  3. Weyoun the Dancing Borg

    Guest

    Yes, you are able to put in any brand of PCIe card. A card i'd
    recommend is the ATI X1600XT. You are able to find it for under $190
    here in the states, not sure over in England. This is probably one of
    the best price/performance ratios out there. Either that, or I'd
    recommend the NVIDIA 6800GS which is available for the same price.
    Each card has its own advantages, but one is not significantly better
    than the other.

    JSV
    , Jan 20, 2006
  4. Weyoun the Dancing Borg

    bmoag Guest

    You can use generic ram of the same speed and type. However unless you play
    hardcore 3d games or work with very large files in Photoshop (over 100mbs)
    you will not see much real world difference in performance over 512mbs.

    Before you plunk down your hard earned pounds/euros for a top of the line 3d
    gaming card you should understand that except for 3d games hi-end cards like
    the NVidia 7800 perfrom no better for ordinary uses, including Photoshop,
    than the lowliest card in the manufacturer's line-up. Unless you play Doom4
    for hours on end and want to see every scab on every monster I would scale
    back on whatever video card you plan to buy.

    The other thing you need to understand is the reality of HP manufacturing.
    If your new whiz-bang video card requires additional power you may be out of
    luck. HP computers have lo-ball power supplies which could not handle that
    card. In fact, the power supplies in HP/Compaq computers can barely handle
    the components that ship with the computer. Also the power supply in the
    computer may not even have an availabe power cable for the video card. You
    can always get a splitter but, again, the power supply in the computer will
    not be able to handle a monster card like the 7800 at full tilt.

    You also may not simply be able to swap out power supplies as HP may use
    proprietary connectors for the power supply and motherboard and/or
    non-standard pin-outs. The latter was standard practice the last time I had
    to take care of Compaq computers and is the way Dell does things also.

    The computer is indeed upgradeable, but you should be clear about what it
    can handle before you buy.
    bmoag, Jan 21, 2006
  5. wrote:
    > Yes, you are able to put in any brand of PCIe card. A card i'd
    > recommend is the ATI X1600XT. You are able to find it for under $190
    > here in the states, not sure over in England. This is probably one of
    > the best price/performance ratios out there. Either that, or I'd
    > recommend the NVIDIA 6800GS which is available for the same price.
    > Each card has its own advantages, but one is not significantly better
    > than the other.
    >
    > JSV

    you;'d laugh at this: I got the X1800XT and it's TOO BIG :D

    by 3mm.

    It hits the motherboard power wires (that white thing with about 16
    coloured wires coming out of it!)

    Doh!

    Got to replace it with a smaller card. I'm really annoyed. I'd "bend" it
    around (it hits the *edge*) but since it's £300 of hardware I'm going to
    send it back.

    Do you know of any 1800XTs that are shorter than the Gecube version?

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jan 25, 2006
  6. bmoag wrote:
    > You can use generic ram of the same speed and type. However unless you play
    > hardcore 3d games or work with very large files in Photoshop (over 100mbs)
    > you will not see much real world difference in performance over 512mbs.
    >
    > Before you plunk down your hard earned pounds/euros for a top of the line 3d
    > gaming card you should understand that except for 3d games hi-end cards like
    > the NVidia 7800 perfrom no better for ordinary uses, including Photoshop,
    > than the lowliest card in the manufacturer's line-up. Unless you play Doom4
    > for hours on end and want to see every scab on every monster I would scale
    > back on whatever video card you plan to buy.
    >
    > The other thing you need to understand is the reality of HP manufacturing.
    > If your new whiz-bang video card requires additional power you may be out of
    > luck. HP computers have lo-ball power supplies which could not handle that
    > card. In fact, the power supplies in HP/Compaq computers can barely handle
    > the components that ship with the computer. Also the power supply in the
    > computer may not even have an availabe power cable for the video card. You
    > can always get a splitter but, again, the power supply in the computer will
    > not be able to handle a monster card like the 7800 at full tilt.
    >
    > You also may not simply be able to swap out power supplies as HP may use
    > proprietary connectors for the power supply and motherboard and/or
    > non-standard pin-outs. The latter was standard practice the last time I had
    > to take care of Compaq computers and is the way Dell does things also.
    >
    > The computer is indeed upgradeable, but you should be clear about what it
    > can handle before you buy.

    Thanks :)

    I do use phtoshop a lot as well as Lightwave and I play a lot of 3D games :)

    I got the 1800Xt but it's a bit too big by a few mm... do you know of a
    512mb card that's say... 13cm long? :)

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jan 25, 2006