Upgrading processor on Asus A7V8X - opinions

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Fred Flintstone, Jun 18, 2005.

  1. I contemplating upgrading my Asus A7V8X from AMD Athlon XP 2200 (1.8) to
    something more modern.
    M/B accept upto 2.4 Ghz with FSB 333.

    So I'm after some opinions.....

    Is it worth buying the fastest upgrade AMD Athlon XP 3200 that the M/B can
    accept with FSB 400
    rather than my M/B 333 or would it better to get Athlon XP 3000 which only
    has FSB 333?

    Pricespy's costs vary $200 to $300. Are all these for the same product and
    the variation is
    just due to competition or are there slight hardware variations in chip
    itself (casche or similar).
    ie should I just get the cheapest. ?barton core vrs throughbred

    D.
    --
    "It's a foreboding I have - maybe ill placed - of my children's generation
    or my grandchildren's generation ... when clutching our horoscopes, our

    Carl Sagan.
    Fred Flintstone, Jun 18, 2005

  2. Fred Flintstone

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Fred Flintstone wrote:
    > I contemplating upgrading my Asus A7V8X from AMD Athlon XP 2200 (1.8)
    > to something more modern.
    > M/B accept upto 2.4 Ghz with FSB 333.
    >
    > So I'm after some opinions.....
    >
    > Is it worth buying the fastest upgrade AMD Athlon XP 3200 that the
    > M/B can accept with FSB 400

    If the mobo's FSB only goes up to 166 then there's no point getting the 3200
    as it will run as a 2500. (Same multiplier, 11 X, different FSB, the 2500
    runs on 166, the 3200 on 200)

    Get anything Barton-cored you can afford, up to/including XP3000+

    > rather than my M/B 333 or would it better to get Athlon XP 3000 which
    > only has FSB 333?
    >
    > Pricespy's costs vary $200 to $300. Are all these for the same
    > product and the variation is
    > just due to competition or are there slight hardware variations in
    > chip itself (casche or similar).
    > ie should I just get the cheapest. ?barton core vrs throughbred

    I don't see any point getting a T'bred (Thornton now, they haven't made
    T'breds for a while. In fact they don't make Thornton Athlons anymore
    either) as it won't be a hell of a lot faster than your 2200 really. Going
    to a 166 FSB will improve performance, as will going to a Barton (512k L2).
    I wouldn't upgrade for just one of those reasons personally but both *may*
    make it worth while.

    Actually I'd probably stick with the 2200 unless you're really hitting a
    wall with something as no CPU you can put in that board is going to make a
    huge difference.

    CPU Mark 99 scores from my own notes, all on nForce2ultra400 mobo. The
    relationship should remain constant on other boards:

    CPU Family Score FSB

    XP2000+ T'bred/B 150 133FSB
    XP2200+ T'bred/B 159 133FSB
    XP2500+ Barton 175 166FSB
    XP2600+ Barton 181 166FSB
    XP2600+ Barton 190 180FSB
    XP3200+ Barton 211 200FSB

    Let's assume an XP3000+ scores around 200, (fair guess I think), then you
    are only going to be getting 20% more power from your CPU. Chances are you
    won't even notice it, 20% is about the threshold where CPU power is
    noticable to the user. Then you have the issue of whether your current RAM
    will suffice of will you have to replace it?

    I think either stick with the 2200 for a bit longer or, if you need more
    power, go to an AMD64. Spending a couple hundred bucks (more if you have to
    replace RAM) for a barely noticable difference is a waste of money in my
    book.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jun 18, 2005

  3. Fred Flintstone

    Mercury Guest

    Agree 100%.

    Mercury, Jun 19, 2005
  4. Fred Flintstone

    Richard Guest

    Mercury wrote:
    > Agree 100%.
    >
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    >>Actually I'd probably stick with the 2200 unless you're really hitting a
    >>wall with something as no CPU you can put in that board is going to make a
    >>huge difference.

    I would try the motherboard at 400FSB before writing it off as not doing it, my
    shitty asus nforce2 delux (think its the same one) was quite happy at 400MHz FSB
    set using some overclocking option, its no less stable then it was at 333. Hell
    it even for a 333 processor up to 400 fine, with just the usual once or twice a
    week bluescreen (stable for that board)
    Richard, Jun 19, 2005
  5. Fred Flintstone

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Mercury wrote:
    >> Agree 100%.
    >>
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    >>> Actually I'd probably stick with the 2200 unless you're really
    >>> hitting a wall with something as no CPU you can put in that board
    >>> is going to make a huge difference.

    > I would try the motherboard at 400FSB before writing it off as not
    > doing it, my shitty asus nforce2 delux (think its the same one) was
    > quite happy at 400MHz FSB set using some overclocking option, its no
    > less stable then it was at 333. Hell it even for a 333 processor up
    > to 400 fine, with just the usual once or twice a week bluescreen
    > (stable for that board)

    My fiance's Soltek nForce2ultra400 based board has been running an XP2500+
    CPU at 200MHz FSB (Cheap XP3200+) for over 18 months (with a relatively
    minor vcore increase, it's still using the OEM HSF). In that 18 months she
    hasn't had *one* BSOD using XP Pro. I shit you not.

    The OP's board has a KT400 chipset (Barf... s'cuse me) a bit different to
    the superlative nForce2 chipset.

    Check this article:

    http://www.ocworkbench.com/2002/asus/a7v8x/a7v8xp1.htm

    However, as the board was produced in early '02 (AFAICT) it's debatable
    whether it can run reliably at 200MHz. I have heard bad things about that
    chipset and 200MHz. (The above-quoted site tested with an XP1500+ CPU).

    Quoted from that article:
    "In our tests, the performance of this board is pretty good if you were to
    run in the official DDR333 mode. DDR400 mode is a big disappointment though.
    I have made a check with different manufacturers and they told me similar
    stories about the problem of running DDR400 mode. Furthermore when you run
    at DDR400 mode, you can only use 1 pc of DDR400 module as documented in the
    manual.

    Overclocking wise, we managed to overclock up to 185Mhz FSB. Looking at the
    chart of the selectable FSB and corresponding PCI, it seems that at 200Mhz,
    PCI is running at 44Mhz. I am pondering where is the 1/6 multiplier ?"
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jun 19, 2005
  6. Fred Flintstone

    Damos Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 13:18:40 +1200, ~misfit~ <>
    wrote:

    > Check this article:
    >
    > http://www.ocworkbench.com/2002/asus/a7v8x/a7v8xp1.htm
    >
    > However, as the board was produced in early '02 (AFAICT) it's debatable
    > whether it can run reliably at 200MHz. I have heard bad things about that
    > chipset and 200MHz. (The above-quoted site tested with an XP1500+ CPU).
    >
    > Quoted from that article:
    > "In our tests, the performance of this board is pretty good if you were
    > run in the official DDR333 mode. DDR400 mode is a big disappointment
    > though.
    > I have made a check with different manufacturers and they told me similar
    > stories about the problem of running DDR400 mode. Furthermore when you
    > run
    > at DDR400 mode, you can only use 1 pc of DDR400 module as documented in
    > the
    > manual.
    >
    > Overclocking wise, we managed to overclock up to 185Mhz FSB. Looking at
    > the
    > chart of the selectable FSB and corresponding PCI, it seems that at
    > 200Mhz,
    > PCI is running at 44Mhz. I am pondering where is the 1/6 multiplier ?"
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Thanks for the opinions Misfit.

    Bottom line: you dont think $200 to drop in a new processor is worth it??

    But what would be the cost a going down the AMD64 line. OK would get more
    power
    but ...would end up having to get new M/B, CPU, and RAM.

    vrs $200 for another 12 months or so....

    D.

    Damos, Jun 19, 2005
  7. Fred Flintstone

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Damos wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 13:18:40 +1200, ~misfit~ <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Check this article:
    >>
    >> http://www.ocworkbench.com/2002/asus/a7v8x/a7v8xp1.htm
    >>
    >> However, as the board was produced in early '02 (AFAICT) it's
    >> debatable whether it can run reliably at 200MHz. I have heard bad
    >> things about that chipset and 200MHz. (The above-quoted site tested
    >> with an XP1500+ CPU).
    >>
    >> Quoted from that article:
    >> "In our tests, the performance of this board is pretty good if you
    >> were to
    >> run in the official DDR333 mode. DDR400 mode is a big disappointment
    >> though.
    >> I have made a check with different manufacturers and they told me
    >> similar stories about the problem of running DDR400 mode.
    >> Furthermore when you run
    >> at DDR400 mode, you can only use 1 pc of DDR400 module as documented
    >> in the
    >> manual.
    >>
    >> Overclocking wise, we managed to overclock up to 185Mhz FSB. Looking
    >> at the
    >> chart of the selectable FSB and corresponding PCI, it seems that at
    >> 200Mhz,
    >> PCI is running at 44Mhz. I am pondering where is the 1/6 multiplier
    >> ?" --
    >> ~misfit~

    > Thanks for the opinions Misfit.

    You're welcome. Socket A is my strong-suit. :)

    > Bottom line: you dont think $200 to drop in a new processor is worth
    > it??

    See below.

    > But what would be the cost a going down the AMD64 line. OK would get
    > more power
    > but ...would end up having to get new M/B, CPU, and RAM.

    And probably power supply as well. 24 connector plug vs. 20 connector for
    your current model. (You can get adapters but I wouldn't unless you have a
    powerful, new-ish PSU).

    > vrs $200 for another 12 months or so....

    If your current system really isn't satisfactory for your main usage and
    you're not rich (join the club) then it *may* be worth your while to get a
    new Barton CPU. Bear in mind that it won't turn your PC into a rocket-ship
    though and, if your current RAM is only PC2100 you'll have to replace it for
    a 166MHz FSB. However the up-side is when you come to replace it the old
    mobo-CPU-RAM combo will be worth a lot more or more useful for a second
    machine.

    I recently had occaision to drop a new CPU in a mate's mobo. I got him an
    XP2600 Barton from E-One in Manukau, (www.eoneonline.co.nz) boxed product
    including fan and 'sink for $116 inc. GST. He has it on a 180MHz FSB
    (2.07GHz) with standard vcore and it's rock-stable (prime95 ran for 24 hours
    with no errors).

    (IMO the difference between the 2600 and 28/3000 isn't worth double the
    price).

    Only you can decide if it's worth it. Even running the 2600 at 166 if you
    already have PC2700 RAM will be a good 'bit' faster than your current CPU
    and is a cheap option (if you don't have to replace the RAM). In a year
    Athlon64s will be a lot cheaper.

    You may have to update your BIOS if you haven't already if you go to the
    Barton.

    Good luck.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jun 19, 2005
  8. Fred Flintstone

    Rob J Guest

    In article <op.ssjjzsii4704lc@orac-andrew> in nz.comp on Sat, 18 Jun 2005
    13:05:42 +1200, Fred Flintstone <> says...

    > I contemplating upgrading my Asus A7V8X from AMD Athlon XP 2200 (1.8) to
    > something more modern.
    > M/B accept upto 2.4 Ghz with FSB 333.

    Why bother. There is nothing wrong with an Athlon XP2200 CPU.

    More memory will be a better bet if you want to speed up your system.
    Rob J, Jun 19, 2005
  9. Fred Flintstone

    C_Lyon Guest

    Fred Flintstone wrote:

    > I contemplating upgrading my Asus A7V8X from AMD Athlon XP 2200 (1.8)
    > to something more modern.
    > M/B accept upto 2.4 Ghz with FSB 333.
    >
    > So I'm after some opinions.....
    >
    > Is it worth buying the fastest upgrade AMD Athlon XP 3200 that the M/B
    > can accept with FSB 400
    > rather than my M/B 333 or would it better to get Athlon XP 3000 which
    > only has FSB 333?
    >
    > Pricespy's costs vary $200 to $300. Are all these for the same product
    > and the variation is
    > just due to competition or are there slight hardware variations in chip
    > itself (casche or similar).
    > ie should I just get the cheapest. ?barton core vrs throughbred
    >
    > D.

    Hi.
    Been running the Asus A7V8X with an AMD XP 2400+ for little over 2 years
    now. Overclocked it the day I put it together. The volcano9 sitting on
    it has looked after it all this time. O/C to 2.1 with 1GB PC2700
    DDR-Ram. Also with a Ti4200 128MB vid card. All up when I put it
    together cost me $AUS1400. No majors with it, very happy overall :)
    C_Lyon, Jun 20, 2005