    with it, however in order to improve signal strength I am looking at a

    Netgear RANGEMAX™ Wireless Modem Router - DGN483PN

    is this a wise move or would I be better off getting a N type router?
    John R, Dec 17, 2010

  2. John R

    John R Guest

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 13:36:32 +0000, John R <>
    wrote:

    >I have recently got a smartphone with wireless access. The router is
    >in my sons bedroom becuase he has ps3 and xbox linked to it. If I'm
    >in the living room the signal strength drops from 4 bars to 1 bar. I
    >am probably about 20/30 foot away. I have now added voip to the phone
    >and don't want to risk drop out if the signal strength is weak. I work
    >from home so voip is an added bonus and avoids calls coming in on a
    >mobile number.
    >
    >The current router is a Netgear 834G and I have been more than happy
    >with it, however in order to improve signal strength I am looking at a
    >
    > Netgear RANGEMAX™ Wireless Modem Router - DGN483PN
    >
    >is this a wise move or would I be better off getting a N type router?

    Sorry, I had meant to post this in uk.telecom.broadband
    John R, Dec 17, 2010

  3. John R <> wrote:
    > I have recently got a smartphone with wireless access. The router is
    > in my sons bedroom becuase he has ps3 and xbox linked to it. If I'm
    > in the living room the signal strength drops from 4 bars to 1 bar. I
    > am probably about 20/30 foot away. I have now added voip to the phone
    > and don't want to risk drop out if the signal strength is weak. I work
    > from home so voip is an added bonus and avoids calls coming in on a
    > mobile number.

    Out of interest, what smartphone platform, what voip client and what
    provider? Do you get decent audio quality (clear, no echo)? I've not found
    a voip client with passable audio yet.

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Dec 19, 2010
  4. John R

    John R Guest

    On 19 Dec 2010 02:08:10 +0000 (GMT), Theo Markettos
    <> wrote:

    >John R <> wrote:
    >> I have recently got a smartphone with wireless access. The router is
    >> in my sons bedroom becuase he has ps3 and xbox linked to it. If I'm
    >> in the living room the signal strength drops from 4 bars to 1 bar. I
    >> am probably about 20/30 foot away. I have now added voip to the phone
    >> and don't want to risk drop out if the signal strength is weak. I work
    >> from home so voip is an added bonus and avoids calls coming in on a
    >> mobile number.

    >Out of interest, what smartphone platform, what voip client and what
    >provider? Do you get decent audio quality (clear, no echo)? I've not found
    >a voip client with passable audio yet.

    I have a HTC Wildfire, running sipdroid and my voip provider is
    sipgate. I received a call on it yesterday and audio quality was good
    but not loud.
    John R, Dec 19, 2010
  5. John R <> wrote:
    > I have a HTC Wildfire, running sipdroid and my voip provider is
    > sipgate. I received a call on it yesterday and audio quality was good
    > but not loud.

    Thanks. Sipdroid is one of the better clients audio-wise, but on Betamax
    the people I call get a strong echo.

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Dec 19, 2010