Upgrading IOS on 2500

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by OrangeCap, Apr 24, 2006.

  1. OrangeCap

    OrangeCap Guest

    Hi,
    I am new to Cisco environment. I am trying to upgrade the current IOS
    to ver 12.2 on a 2500 series router. I am taking following steps:

    1) configure terminal

    2) config-reg 0x2101
    ^Z

    3) router# reload

    4) Router(boot)#copy tftp flash
    Partition Size Used Free Bank-Size State Copy
    Mode
    1 8192K 5181K 3010K 8192K Read/Write
    Direct
    2 8192K 5771K 2420K 8192K Read/Write
    Direct

    [Type ?<no> for partition directory; ? for full directory; q to abort]
    Which partition? [default = 1]

    System flash directory, partition 1:
    File Length Name/status
    1 5305376 c2500-d-l.112-8
    [5305440 bytes used, 3083168 available, 8388608 total]
    Address or name of remote host [255.255.255.255]? 192.168.1.100
    Source file name? c2500-js-l.122-7.bin
    Destination file name [c2500-js-l.122-7.bin]? c2500-js-l.122-7.bin
    Accessing file 'c2500-js-l.122-7.bin' on 192.168.1.100...
    [OK]

    Erase flash device before writing? [confirm]y
    Flash contains files. Are you sure you want to erase? [confirm]y
    %Error: Image size exceeds flash size

    Kindly let me know if I am making any mistakes here. upon running copy
    tftp flash I get this option to select flash partition "[Type ?<no> for
    partition directory; ? for full directory; q to abort]". I am hit
    "enter" key on the key board for the full directory selection but I am
    getting above error message.

    My IOS image is functional I downloaded it to a tftp from a functional
    2500 router.

    You can see that I have 2 flash cards of 8mb, looks like I have to take
    some steps so that both flash cards appear as a single memory location
    of 16 mb where I can xfer the image. I am unable to find any links on
    web at this topic and need yr help.

    OrangeCap, Apr 24, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    OrangeCap <> wrote:

    >Kindly let me know if I am making any mistakes here. upon running copy
    >tftp flash I get this option to select flash partition "[Type ?<no> for
    >partition directory; ? for full directory; q to abort]". I am hit
    >"enter" key on the key board for the full directory selection but I am
    >getting above error message.

    To get the "full directory selection" you would have to type the question mark.
    Hitting return at that point is equivilent to chosing partition 1
    ("[default = 1]")

    >You can see that I have 2 flash cards of 8mb, looks like I have to take
    >some steps so that both flash cards appear as a single memory location
    >of 16 mb where I can xfer the image. I am unable to find any links on
    >web at this topic and need yr help.

    I don't believe that it is possible to combine two flash cards to effectively
    make one larger flash card. You will need a flash card that is large enough
    to hold the image on its own.

    >My IOS image is functional I downloaded it to a tftp from a functional
    >2500 router.

    You are going from c2500-d-l.112-8 to c2500-js-l.122-7.bin

    c2500-d-l.112-8 is so old that the Cisco Feature Navigator disavows it --
    it claims the 2500 only supports 11.2(15) and upwards.

    The d-l series is the IP/IPX/AT/DEC feature set.
    The js-l series is the ENTERPRISE PLUS feature set.

    >My IOS image is functional I downloaded it to a tftp from a functional
    >2500 router.

    That sounds to me like you are not entitled to run the new feature set
    (ENTERPRISE PLUS) on the existing router (IP/IPX/AT/DEC).

    ENTERPRISE PLUS is one of the very largest feature sets -- the only
    larger images in 11.2 were the the ENTERPRISE PLUS 56 and ENTERPRISE/APPN series.
    In 12.2(7), there -are- no larger images.

    IP/IPX/AT/DEC for 12.2(7) is 8/16 for the 2500 -- that is, requires 8 Mb of RAM and
    16 Mb of flash. ENTERPRISE PLUS in the same release takes 16 Mb of RAM and 16 Mb of
    flash. Your current image requires 4 or less Mb of RAM. Do you even -have- 16 Mb
    of RAM in the device?

    Walter Roberson, Apr 25, 2006

  3. OrangeCap

    Guest

    If you have two 8 MB partitions, there may be a command in your 'sh
    run' that looks like this: partition flash 2 8 8
    You'll need to type no partition flash 2 8 8 in the global config.
    You may need to format one partition before you are able to do this.

    , Apr 25, 2006
  4. OrangeCap

    Guest

    Since the 2500 is run-from-flash, you won't be able to do anything
    until you boot from the ROM image first. config-register 0x2101 then
    reboot.
    Once in the ROM mini-IOS image, you can investigate re-partitioning the
    flash to 16MB and reloading a new image.

    Steve Griffin
    www.blueconsole.com (Bluetooth Wireless Console Cable)

    , Apr 25, 2006