Upgrading IOS on 1841

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Larry, Jan 27, 2007.

  1. Larry

    Larry Guest

    I'm trying to upgrade the IOS on a 1841 router. Since I'm not
    a Cisco whiz I thought I would check here to make sure I'm not
    screwing things up beyond repair.

    Current version is 12.3(8)YG
    Upgrading to 12.4(11)T
    Device has 128M RAM (116736/14336)
    Flash has 32M

    There is not enough room on the flash card for both images
    currently. Not sure what all of the other files are but will
    leave them alone.

    I have a couple of options:
    Try replacing the image on the flash card with the newer
    one... or
    Boot via TFTP and make sure everything works before replacing
    the image.

    I'm not sure of the safest method. I think I know how to do
    either but don't have a clue how to recover if I screw things
    up.

    Here's the plan for replacing the image...
    Backup current IOS image and config (already done)
    Delete current image from flash to make room for the new
    image. (delete flash:/<image_name>)
    Copy new image to flash. (copy tftp: flash:)
    Change the boot config. (boot system flash <image_name>)
    Copy running-config to startup-config. (copy run st)
    Issue reload command.

    or

    Change the boot config. (boot system tftp <image_name>)
    Copy running-config to startup-config. (copy run st)
    If things work correctly, replace the image using the above
    procedure.

    Am I completely clueless or will this work? How do I recover
    if things go bad?

    Searching the Cisco website is like the proverbial needle in a
    haystack. If anyone can point me to a place with the info I
    need that would great. I've searched but everything seems to
    point back to Cisco.

    Thanks,
    Larry
    Larry, Jan 27, 2007

  2. Larry,

    You can use either way. Booting from TFTP will give you a "warm and fuzzy
    feeling" that new IOS is working fine. At the same time you can format your
    flash, copy a new image, and set a local IOS file as a first in the
    sequence, and use TFTP Boot option with an old IOS as a fallback.

    By the way, why don't you try a "Cisco Network Assistant" to upgrade your
    software? It works good for me...

    Good luck,

    Mike
    ------
    Cisco IP Phone Headset Adapters
    www.ciscoheadsetadapter.com

    headsetadapter.com, Jan 27, 2007

  3. Hi Larry,

    Restrictions for Upgrading the System Image:

    Cisco 1800 series routers support only external compact flash memory
    cards.

    Internal flash memory is not supported.

    For more details, see:

    Troubleshooting and Maintenance: Using CompactFlash Memory Cards

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/
    prod_troubleshooting_guide09186a00802c35d3.html

    as well as Cisco 1800 series routers - Troubleshooting and
    Maintenance: Upgrading the System Image:

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/
    prod_troubleshooting_guide09186a00802c35d5.html

    Larry, hope this helps.

    Brad Reese
    Cisco Resumes
    http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-resumes.htm
    www.BradReese.Com, Jan 27, 2007
  4. Larry

    Guest

    On 27 Jan, 22:47, "www.BradReese.Com" <> wrote:
    > Hi Larry,
    >
    > Restrictions for Upgrading the System Image:
    >
    > Cisco 1800 series routers support only external compact flash memory
    > cards.
    >
    > Internal flash memory is not supported.
    >
    > For more details, see:
    >
    > Troubleshooting and Maintenance: Using CompactFlash Memory Cards
    >
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/
    > prod_troubleshooting_guide09186a00802c35d3.html
    >
    > as well as Cisco 1800 series routers - Troubleshooting and
    > Maintenance: Upgrading the System Image:
    >
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/
    > prod_troubleshooting_guide09186a00802c35d5.html
    >
    > Larry, hope this helps.
    >
    > Brad Reese
    > Cisco Resumeshttp://www.bradreese.com/cisco-resumes.htm

    There are a number of issues here.

    Firstly, do you need to change the software? If it's working
    then leaving it as it is, may be worth considering.

    2.
    The T train is likely to be less stable than the mainline
    12.4 e.g. 12.4(12) or 12.4(10)b. I would never use the T
    train unless I needed its features.

    Unless yo have console access to the router then
    there is always going to be a risk associate with this process.
    If you have console access then you can always recover.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/
    prod_configuration_guide09186a00802c35e9.html
    Seems to describe recovery.

    If you are going to do it remotely check the md5 of the image
    before you send it to the router and before rebooting it
    check the image with a
    verify some.file
    command.

    Also worth checking the file length on sh flash.

    You need a backout plan. If you can't visit site then you
    need to consider vary carefully the driving force behind the
    proposed change.

    If the router is remote, one solution might be to send a
    flash card to site and get a local to swap the card.
    If it doesn't come up then simply swap back.
    , Jan 28, 2007
  5. Larry

    Larry Guest

    Larry <> wrote in

    > I'm trying to upgrade the IOS on a 1841 router. Since I'm
    > not a Cisco whiz I thought I would check here to make sure
    > I'm not screwing things up beyond repair.
    >
    > Current version is 12.3(8)YG
    > Upgrading to 12.4(11)T
    > Device has 128M RAM (116736/14336)
    > Flash has 32M
    >
    > There is not enough room on the flash card for both images
    > currently. Not sure what all of the other files are but
    > will leave them alone.
    >
    > I have a couple of options:
    > Try replacing the image on the flash card with the newer
    > one... or
    > Boot via TFTP and make sure everything works before
    > replacing the image.
    >
    > I'm not sure of the safest method. I think I know how to do
    > either but don't have a clue how to recover if I screw
    > things up.
    >
    > Here's the plan for replacing the image...
    > Backup current IOS image and config (already done)
    > Delete current image from flash to make room for the new
    > image. (delete flash:/<image_name>)
    > Copy new image to flash. (copy tftp: flash:)
    > Change the boot config. (boot system flash <image_name>)
    > Copy running-config to startup-config. (copy run st)
    > Issue reload command.
    >
    > or
    >
    > Change the boot config. (boot system tftp <image_name>)
    > Copy running-config to startup-config. (copy run st)
    > If things work correctly, replace the image using the above
    > procedure.
    >
    > Am I completely clueless or will this work? How do I
    > recover if things go bad?
    >
    > Searching the Cisco website is like the proverbial needle
    > in a haystack. If anyone can point me to a place with the
    > info I need that would great. I've searched but everything
    > seems to point back to Cisco.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Larry

    All good responses... exactly what I was looking for but was
    unable to find. Seems at though my fail-safe is to boot from
    the image on the flash with the option of booting from TFTP if
    it fails. Worst case, ROM Monitor will allow me to restore the
    old image if necessary.

    Thanks again. Next round is on me...

    Larry
    Larry, Jan 28, 2007
  6. Larry

    Darren Green Guest

    "Larry" <> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to upgrade the IOS on a 1841 router. Since I'm not
    > a Cisco whiz I thought I would check here to make sure I'm not
    > screwing things up beyond repair.
    >
    > Current version is 12.3(8)YG
    > Upgrading to 12.4(11)T
    > Device has 128M RAM (116736/14336)
    > Flash has 32M
    >
    > There is not enough room on the flash card for both images
    > currently. Not sure what all of the other files are but will
    > leave them alone.
    >
    > I have a couple of options:
    > Try replacing the image on the flash card with the newer
    > one... or
    > Boot via TFTP and make sure everything works before replacing
    > the image.
    >
    > I'm not sure of the safest method. I think I know how to do
    > either but don't have a clue how to recover if I screw things
    > up.
    >
    > Here's the plan for replacing the image...
    > Backup current IOS image and config (already done)
    > Delete current image from flash to make room for the new
    > image. (delete flash:/<image_name>)
    > Copy new image to flash. (copy tftp: flash:)
    > Change the boot config. (boot system flash <image_name>)
    > Copy running-config to startup-config. (copy run st)
    > Issue reload command.
    >
    > or
    >
    > Change the boot config. (boot system tftp <image_name>)
    > Copy running-config to startup-config. (copy run st)
    > If things work correctly, replace the image using the above
    > procedure.
    >
    > Am I completely clueless or will this work? How do I recover
    > if things go bad?
    >
    > Searching the Cisco website is like the proverbial needle in a
    > haystack. If anyone can point me to a place with the info I
    > need that would great. I've searched but everything seems to
    > point back to Cisco.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Larry

    Larry,

    I have never had a problem deleting the existing version of flash and other
    files SDM to enable me to replace with a new IOS. Of course after deleting
    the existing IOS don't reboot ;- )

    Should anything happen you can always do a tftpdnld to upload a new IOS from
    rommon

    Regards

    Darren
    Darren Green, Jan 28, 2007
  7. Larry

    Roel Guest

    Darren Green wrote:

    > Should anything happen you can always do a tftpdnld to upload a new IOS
    > from rommon

    Another possibility is to use a PCMCIA CF adapter to copy the IOS on the CF
    with your PC.
    Roel, Jan 29, 2007