    computer, is there a KB article out there?

    Many thanks for any advice.

    Steve
    SteveH, Oct 27, 2008

  2. "SteveH" <> wrote in message
    news:D...
    > Hello
    >
    > In the 'Upgrade from a previous version of Windows' section of Microsoft's
    > Preparation Guide, there is an item on installing a second instance of an
    > operating system on a computer.
    >
    > I'm unclear about how this relates to an upgrade, but is this question
    > basically related to installing two operating systems on a computer, or am
    > barking up the wrong tree?
    >
    > If the question does relate to installing two operating systems on the
    > same
    > computer, is there a KB article out there?
    >
    > Many thanks for any advice.

    This is about dual-boot scenarios.

    A scenario pretty much made obsolete with the advent of free virtual PC
    softwares.

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Oct 27, 2008

  3. SteveH

    SteveH Guest

    Hello Lawrence

    Thanks for getting back to me.

    Yes, but if the item is on the syllabus, it's still likely to be asked.

    So the question refers to troubleshooting computers with two operatings
    systems (let's say Win XP Home and Win XP Pro, or Win XP Pro and 98) either
    on the same hard disk or separate ones but within the same computer?

    Best regards

    Steve

    SteveH, Oct 28, 2008
  4. "SteveH" <> wrote in message
    > Hello Lawrence
    >
    > Thanks for getting back to me.
    >
    > Yes, but if the item is on the syllabus, it's still likely to be asked.

    True.. and thus one should at least be familiar with the concept, if not the
    actual procedures.

    > So the question refers to troubleshooting computers with two operatings
    > systems (let's say Win XP Home and Win XP Pro, or Win XP Pro and 98)
    > either
    > on the same hard disk or separate ones but within the same computer?

    In the context of the Windows XP exam, it would be one of these
    combinations:

    [a] Windows 9x and Windows XP (any edition), or
    Windows NT4 Professional and Windows XP (any edition), or
    [c] Windows 2000 (Professional or Server) and Windows XP (any edition), or
    [d] Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP (any edition), or even conceivably
    [e] any combination of two or more of the above (9x, NT4, 2000, 2003, XP)

    For the purposes of the testing, they're interested in scenarios involving
    downlevel operating systems -- the scenario being rather than directly
    upgrade a Win9x/Win2000 installation to Windows XP, you install Windows XP
    as a second OS, so you can retain functionality to the original
    Win9x/Win2000 system.

    I did that quite often on machines primarily used for education and gaming,
    when getting them to run on Windows XP was a real pain -- and before the
    advent of (free) Virtual PC. Now I just install Virtual PC and put Win98SE
    in a VM and run that software in the VM.

    While it's theoretically possible that you could install Windows XP Home and
    Windows XP Professional on the same computer in a dual-boot scenario,
    there's no real practical application of that scenario, and I've never seen
    it discussed in the context.

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Oct 28, 2008
  5. SteveH

    SteveH Guest

    Many thanks again, Lawrence for shedding light on what I could expect. I'd
    better open those books!

    You also write:

    While it's theoretically possible that you could install Windows XP Home and
    Windows XP Professional on the same computer in a dual-boot scenario,
    there's no real practical application of that scenario........

    Actually, this is what I have. Home for everyday things, and Pro in
    preparation for this exam!!

    Cheers again.

    Steve

    SteveH, Oct 30, 2008
  6. SteveH

    catwalker63 Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmVI?= <> prattled
    ceaselessly in news:D:

    > You also write:
    >
    >> While it's theoretically possible that you could install Windows XP
    >> Home and Windows XP Professional on the same computer in a dual-boot
    >> scenario, there's no real practical application of that
    >> scenario........

    > Actually, this is what I have. Home for everyday things, and Pro in
    > preparation for this exam!!

    I'm sorry. That is so not a compelling or practical reason to have Home.

    --
    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43
    catwalker63, Oct 30, 2008
  7. "catwalker63" <> wrote in message

    >>> While it's theoretically possible that you could install Windows XP
    >>> Home and Windows XP Professional on the same computer in a dual-boot
    >>> scenario, there's no real practical application of that
    >>> scenario........

    >> Actually, this is what I have. Home for everyday things, and Pro in
    >> preparation for this exam!!

    > I'm sorry. That is so not a compelling or practical reason to have Home.

    Actually, it's a very likely scenario where somebody has purchased a
    consumer grade machine with HOME preinstalled, and then needs PRO for
    training purposes. (Although I could also argue that without a Domain and
    Active Directory, there's nothing of interest in a standalone PRO
    installation that one doesn't already have in the HOME installation.)

    However, If I was short of machines (and wasn't aware of VPC), I wouldn't
    want to muck up my primary machine installation for a training environment.
    Also, if the HOME machine lacks sufficient memory to support a VPC
    environment, then dual boot is really the only option.

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Oct 31, 2008
  8. SteveH

    SteveH Guest

    You took the words right out of my mouth, Lawrence!

    SteveH, Oct 31, 2008
  9. SteveH

    joel Guest

    i would like that you answering my questions about MCDST this day beacause
    today i am a exam
    joel, Feb 12, 2009