    Wombat
    --
    Eats, roots and leaves.

    Wally Wombat, Jan 26, 2009

  2. Wally Wombat

    David B. Guest

    There is no upgrade path from 32 bit to 64 bit, you will need to do a clean
    install of 64 bit and a reinstallation of all applications and restoration
    of your backed up data.

    David B., Jan 26, 2009

  3. It's the same ever since Windows x64 was introduced a few
    years ago. The is no "upgrade" from 32-bit to 64-bit.
    64-bit has to be a clean install of the entire system and
    applications.

    You can backup to a separate media things like documents,
    photos, etc. and then restore after the install.

    Bobby Johnson, Jan 26, 2009
  4. And you can use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to simplify the
    process. But make sure you have the updated one as described in my blog from
    several years ago...

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 26, 2009
  5. Wally Wombat

    Carlos Guest

    I keep My Documents, Favorite, and Outlook.pst file in a separate physical hd.
    This way installing a new Os is just that, format and install. No need to
    care about losing valuable data.
    I have also a text file including all the things I need to do, tweak, modify
    so that the new install will have all my customizations.
    I know this is not equivalent to the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard but
    I feel a lot more comfortable doing so.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 27, 2009
  6. Yup, I have everything on a data drive. On a separate partition from the OS,
    so I can rebuild as required. One reason I don't like OEM builds, since they
    tend to do total wipes. But now I have everything backed up to Windows Home
    Server so don't care if it gets wiped. I can restore the data drive in a few
    minutes.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 27, 2009