    hints on upgrading browser appreciated......like, does IE6 interact OK with
    98SE?

    Kaz
    Mekaz Inoz, Jul 6, 2003

  2. Mekaz Inoz

    Shep© Guest

    On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 23:57:44 +1000, In this world we created "Mekaz
    Inoz" <mekaz50@hot(OUCH)mail.com> wrote :

    >Have been told we need to have IE5.5 or better in order for online forms to
    >work (renewing anti-virus subscription) The PC is a 4 year old Compaq
    >(student use) running Win98SE and presently IE5. Have IE6 (SP1) on a mag
    >cover CD. Do I just install this over present installation. Are all
    >favourites and settings in OE6 (which I assume is included) kept intact. Any
    >hints on upgrading browser appreciated......like, does IE6 interact OK with
    >98SE?
    >
    >Kaz

    You should be OK and also IE 6 will add itself to the Add Remove
    Programs list and if you go to remove it offers a repair option so it
    can be repaired as sometimes the 1st,"Upgrade" to it can have a few
    faults.Check the Mags Cds folders you may find a copy of IE 5.5 which
    I prefer.
    Also if you got any free ISP Cds though the post(NOT AOL) you can open
    these up and find copies of IE 5.5 and IE 6 on them to use and can
    then un-brand then using this,
    http://www.dougknox.com/utility/scripts_desc/unbrand.htm
    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Free songs download,
    Shep©, Jul 6, 2003

  3. Mekaz Inoz

    Mekaz Inoz Guest

    "Shep©" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 23:57:44 +1000, In this world we created "Mekaz
    > Inoz" <mekaz50@hot(OUCH)mail.com> wrote :
    >
    > >Have been told we need to have IE5.5 or better in order for online forms

    > >work (renewing anti-virus subscription) The PC is a 4 year old Compaq
    > >(student use) running Win98SE and presently IE5. Have IE6 (SP1) on a mag
    > >cover CD. Do I just install this over present installation. Are all
    > >favourites and settings in OE6 (which I assume is included) kept intact.

    Any
    > >hints on upgrading browser appreciated......like, does IE6 interact OK

    with
    > >98SE?
    > >
    > >Kaz

    > You should be OK and also IE 6 will add itself to the Add Remove
    > Programs list and if you go to remove it offers a repair option so it
    > can be repaired as sometimes the 1st,"Upgrade" to it can have a few
    > faults.Check the Mags Cds folders you may find a copy of IE 5.5 which
    > I prefer.
    > Also if you got any free ISP Cds though the post(NOT AOL) you can open
    > these up and find copies of IE 5.5 and IE 6 on them to use and can
    > then un-brand then using this,
    > http://www.dougknox.com/utility/scripts_desc/unbrand.htm
    > HTH :)
    >

    > --
    > Free Windows/PC help,
    > Free songs download,
    > http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/17/sheppard.html

    Thanks for that...I have often wondered why IE5 was not in Add/Remove in
    98SE......we are running IE6 with XPHome on our main computer so having the
    same version IE on both computers will be less confusing. The mag CD I
    intend using is from PC User (latest Aust. issue)
    Mekaz Inoz, Jul 6, 2003
  4. Mekaz Inoz

    Mekaz Inoz Guest

    Thank you both for the info...feeling less aprehensive now.

    "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@xyz.com> wrote in message
    > You should be able to just put the CD in and follow directions. If it
    > doesn't start automatically, you may have to type setup in the Start,Run
    > box. (or browse the CD in Explorer and see what it contains and if the

    ..exe

    Mekaz Inoz, Jul 6, 2003
  5. Mekaz Inoz

    Richard Guest

    "Mekaz Inoz" <mekaz50@hot(OUCH)mail.com> wrote in message
    > Have been told we need to have IE5.5 or better in order for online forms

    > work (renewing anti-virus subscription) The PC is a 4 year old Compaq
    > (student use) running Win98SE and presently IE5. Have IE6 (SP1) on a mag
    > cover CD. Do I just install this over present installation. Are all
    > favourites and settings in OE6 (which I assume is included) kept intact.

    Any
    > hints on upgrading browser appreciated......like, does IE6 interact OK

    with
    > 98SE?
    >
    > Kaz

    Go to the windows update site for a non hijacked version.
    Any current items such as favorites should remain intact.
    Before you do though, you may want to move your OE stuff to another folder,
    then use the file/import messages wizard to recover with. Including your
    news settings.
    Richard, Jul 6, 2003