Upgrading Home Premium 32-bit to Ultimate 64-bit **QUESTIONS**

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Seidell23231, Mar 4, 2008.

  1. Seidell23231

    Seidell23231 Guest

    Hi ALL,

    I have just purchased the "RETAIL" version of HP Pavillion Elite m9150f PC,
    which came loaded with Home Premium 32-BIT. I have Ultimate Upgrade Edition,
    which came in 32-BIT and 64-BIT. After a visit to HP Shopping web site, I
    found they sell the m9150f in the "PRE-BUILT" format, with the 64-BIT OS. I
    have compared the 2 side by side, Retail vs. Pre-Built, and it appears the
    ONLY difference between the two is the OS. Retail=32-BIT, Pre-Built=64-BIT...

    Since I have purchased the Retail version, I would suspect the upgrade to
    64-BIT OS, should be an upgrade option that will work with what I have
    purchased.

    Two Questions:

    Q1: Is the 64-BIT version a better OS for the long haul, meaning now would
    be the perfect time to make the switch, since I just purchased this system
    and everything is factory default?

    Q2: What is the Guru recommendation; Switch to 64 or Stay with 32, and why?

    Looking forward to the responses and thank you!

    Gunny

    Seidell23231, Mar 4, 2008

  2. Seidell23231

    Theo Guest

    There is absolutely no "upgrade" to the currently installed
    OS from 32-bit to 64-bit. If you want to install Ultimate
    x64, you will have to do a completely clean install; i.e.
    delete current installation and install a NEW fresh
    installation.

    Which is better at the moment really depends on your
    peripherals and software. You will need 64-bit drivers for
    all hardware that require installation drivers. Most of
    your 32-bit software should work on x64, but there are some
    that won't Vista x64 requires "signed" drivers in ALL cases.

    Theo, Mar 4, 2008

  3. You can certainly migrate from x86 to x64. Whether you want to now depends
    on what you use your computer for. Without knowing that no one can suggest
    which version you might want to use today. It sounds like drivers and
    utilities won't be an issue since those must all be available on the HP
    website so it comes down to what you do with your computer.

    Personally, I use Vista Ultimate x64 and enjoy it. An important factor in
    that is the amount of memory I have. If your computer has 2GB I would think
    you will be happier with Vista Home Premium. I cannot recommend VU x64 with
    less than 3GB. The difference in performance between 3GB and 4GB is not
    great, but the difference between 2GB and 3GB certainly is. If you have 2GB
    add memory if you decided you want to use VU x64.

    You will not be able to perform an upgrade installation of VU x64. You
    should have no problem performing a custom installation, however. You will
    need to reinstall all your apps and utilities and restore any files you have
    to this point. You can use the Windows Easy Transfer wizard to save your
    files and settings to intermediate storage and to restore after the custom
    installation.

    You should talk to HP support about the support implications of replacing
    the pre-installed OS with one of your own. Even though Vista Ultimate x64
    is supported on your model, the question is does it have to be pre-installed
    by HP to be eligible for that support.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 4, 2008
  4. Seidell23231

    Seidell23231 Guest