Upgrading Grandstream ATA486 query

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by David Floyd, May 11, 2005.

  1. David Floyd

    David Floyd Guest

    I have received instructions from Grandstream on how to upgrade the
    ATA486 which I bought from Sipgate and I wonder if some-one can help me
    understand how to do the upgrade.

    I don't want to appear too much of a nurd or Luddite to Grandstream so
    I'm hoping some-one can help me here.

    Grandstream have sent me the update files for version 1.0.5.23 which
    they instruct me to put in the root directory of the TFTP server. OK so
    far.

    Then they say put computer and the grandstream product in the same LAN
    segment. - What does same LAN segment mean (in simple terms)?

    They then say point tftp server to the IP of the computer. How do I
    find out what the IP of the computer is. I assume it is 127.0.0.1 but
    where do I check this out on my system (WinXPProSP2)

    Thanks for any help.

    David

    David Floyd, May 11, 2005

  2. David Floyd

    Ian Guest

    "David Floyd" <> wrote in message
    > I have received instructions from Grandstream on how to upgrade the
    > ATA486 which I bought from Sipgate and I wonder if some-one can help me
    > understand how to do the upgrade.
    >
    > I don't want to appear too much of a nurd or Luddite to Grandstream so
    > I'm hoping some-one can help me here.
    >
    > Grandstream have sent me the update files for version 1.0.5.23 which
    > they instruct me to put in the root directory of the TFTP server. OK so
    > far.

    What TFTP server are you using ?

    > Then they say put computer and the grandstream product in the same LAN
    > segment. - What does same LAN segment mean (in simple terms)?

    Make sure they are on the same physical and logical lan. ie same Hub/Swich
    and same subnet

    > They then say point tftp server to the IP of the computer. How do I
    > find out what the IP of the computer is. I assume it is 127.0.0.1 but
    > where do I check this out on my system (WinXPProSP2)

    They seem to have this bit a bit wrong, You need to set the TFTP server
    address field in the GS to that of your PC ( to find out what it s open a
    cmd window and type ipconfig) Then reboot the GS. you may get a couple of
    file errors but that is normal

    If you want to talk it through, email me an I will talk you through it.
    WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT INTERUPT IT IF FILE TRANSFERS ARE TAKING PLACE.

    Ian

    Ian, May 11, 2005

  3. David Floyd

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Wed, 11 May 2005, Ian writes

    >"David Floyd" <> wrote in message

    >> Grandstream have sent me the update files for version 1.0.5.23 which
    >> they instruct me to put in the root directory of the TFTP server. OK so
    >> far.

    >What TFTP server are you using ?

    Solarwinds as advised by Grandstream.

    >> Then they say put computer and the grandstream product in the same LAN
    >> segment. - What does same LAN segment mean (in simple terms)?
    >>

    >Make sure they are on the same physical and logical lan. ie same Hub/Swich
    >and same subnet

    OK I have ADSL modem with a Router plugged in.

    the Router has the Grandstream, Main computer, Upstairs computer plugged
    into it.

    Is that then correct to say they are on the same LAN segment?

    >> They then say point tftp server to the IP of the computer. How do I
    >> find out what the IP of the computer is. I assume it is 127.0.0.1 but
    >> where do I check this out on my system (WinXPProSP2)
    >>

    >They seem to have this bit a bit wrong, You need to set the TFTP server
    >address field in the GS to that of your PC ( to find out what it s open a
    >cmd window and type ipconfig) Then reboot the GS. you may get a couple of
    >file errors but that is normal

    That worked perfectly. Thanks very much for your advice and help.

    Trouble is the GS now doesn't register for 1899VoIP but I expect I can
    figure that out as I did some weeks ago when I first started on this
    lark.

    David

    David Floyd, May 11, 2005