    3x 76Gb Raptors Raid 5
    2x 750Gb Seagate Barracuda Mirrored
    etc...

    =?Utf-8?B?SnVuZ2xlX0pvbg==?=, Feb 3, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SnVuZ2xlX0pvbg==?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    No upgrade to 64-bit Vista (from any OS), you have to clean install.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Feb 3, 2007

  3. Thanks Aaron,

    Found the page that describes upgrad paths, in my opinion it is stupid that
    they do not have an upgrade path, to add insult to injury, their software
    package "Windows Easy Transfer" that copies all of you files to a CD for
    your new OS, doesn't work with XP64 either... Life sucks, this gonna get
    painful...

    =?Utf-8?B?SnVuZ2xlX0pvbg==?=, Feb 3, 2007
  4. The regular easy transfer works just fine in XP x64. No, it doesn't
    re-install your applications. But it does a pretty decent job of saving your
    settings, and transfering your data files.

    The no upgrade path is for solid technical reasons - the requirements for
    drivers are so much different that it was felt the risks of a failed upgrade
    that wouldn't boot were too high.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 3, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?SnVuZ2xlX0pvbg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    IMHO the installed base of XP X64 users was too small to make the effort.
    At least in my experience, very limited, the Vista 64 driver availability is
    better than X64

    John Barnes, Feb 3, 2007
  6. I agree, and I think that was the compelling reason. It's certainly a major
    factor in why MS felt this was where they could draw the line in the sand on
    driver signing.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 3, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?SnVuZ2xlX0pvbg==?=

    Theo Guest

    It's only sounds stupid if you're ignorant about the
    structural differences between 32-bit and 64-bit. With the
    introduction of win x64 there were some changes to the
    folders files were put in and because of the structural
    changes there is a problem doing an 'upgrade' from 32-bit to
    64-bit. People have tried it with Win x64 and regretted the
    decision afterwards.

    Theo, Feb 3, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?SnVuZ2xlX0pvbg==?=

    BSchnur Guest

    > The no upgrade path is for solid technical reasons - the requirements for
    > drivers are so much different that it was felt the risks of a failed upgrade
    > that wouldn't boot were too high.

    In place upgrades nearly always cause me angst -- I was pleased that
    the in place I did on one system from XP Pro to Vista Business 32
    worked fairly cleanly (only one blue screen on the way).

    --
    Barry Schnur

    BSchnur, Feb 3, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?SnVuZ2xlX0pvbg==?=

    BSchnur Guest

    > IMHO the installed base of XP X64 users was too small to make the effort.
    > At least in my experience, very limited, the Vista 64 driver availability is
    > better than X64

    Indeed -- I tried XP 64 but found that driver dearth was a major
    impediment. For the relatively mainstream systems I tried Vista 64 RC1
    on, the hardware driver support was better even last year.

    --
    Barry Schnur

    BSchnur, Feb 3, 2007
  10. Drivers weren't that big a deal in XP x64, _if you did your homework_ and
    bought expecting to be on the edge. (hence the printer choices I make.) But
    if you don't plan ahead, you can certainly have a surprise.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 5, 2007
  11. I have avoided the IPU again. For one thing, the Windows Easy Transfer (WET)
    wizard is pretty good. For another, most of my systems are 64 bit anyway, so
    it's not an option there.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 5, 2007
  12. =?Utf-8?B?SnVuZ2xlX0pvbg==?=

    BSchnur Guest

    > Drivers weren't that big a deal in XP x64, _if you did your homework_ and
    > bought expecting to be on the edge. (hence the printer choices I make.) But
    > if you don't plan ahead, you can certainly have a surprise.

    Right, when I tried it, I did so knowing I might encounter a problem or
    two, when I ran into issues with the particular motherboard drivers and
    couldn't get support from the manufacturer, it wasn't a big deal for me
    to bail.

    That said, the two systems I put Vista 64 RC1 on were quite solid from
    the start regarding drivers -- mostly supported direct from the
    Microsoft install. As to printers, we are running LJ 4000's here --
    along with a Dell color laser printer we just got in December. I
    should check out the driver support there -- should be there, in any
    event, the printer supports Postscript as well.

    --
    Barry Schnur

    BSchnur, Feb 5, 2007
  13. =?Utf-8?B?SnVuZ2xlX0pvbg==?=

    BSchnur Guest

    > I have avoided the IPU again. For one thing, the Windows Easy Transfer (WET)
    > wizard is pretty good. For another, most of my systems are 64 bit anyway, so
    > it's not an option there.

    Right, when it comes time to 'regroove' the two RC1 Vista 64 systems, I
    will be happy I don't have data on them.

    --
    Barry Schnur

    BSchnur, Feb 5, 2007
  14. =?Utf-8?B?SnVuZ2xlX0pvbg==?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 22:42:49 -0800, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:

    > But if you don't plan ahead, you can certainly have a surprise.

    I don't thin any of the "get Vista now!!!!!" advertisements, mentions that.
    Plus I wonder if the guys in the computer-shops selling Vista, actually
    have any idea about driver issues. I think I am going to do a round among
    the shops in town to find out ;-)

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Feb 5, 2007
  15. =?Utf-8?B?SnVuZ2xlX0pvbg==?=

    BSchnur Guest

    Shops that sell hardware and use it themselves do know to one degree or
    another.

    --
    Barry Schnur

    BSchnur, Feb 5, 2007