    Are they removed from the system/harddisk when Windows 7 are installed, untouched or moved to windows.old or what happens to them?

    Thanks in advance,
    Hüseyin A.

    Hüseyin Aliz, Dec 6, 2009

  2. First, there is NO upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit. It will always be a clean
    install. You _can_ use an upgrade version, but it will still require a clean
    install. This means that both option 1 and option 2 are out. So you will
    always be doing option 3, plan accordingly.

    You should run Windows Easy Transfer (WET) on the old computer before the
    installation to preserve your files and settings. You can find a version for
    XP here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...31-973A-45C7-A4EC-4928FA173266&displaylang=en.

    Windows.old will not include non-system folders such as \data or \developer.
    But the installation won't touch those anyway, so it shouldn't be a big
    deal. However, ALWAYS DO A BACKUP OF CRITICAL FILES BEFORE INSTALLING A NEW
    OPERATING SYSTEM. Just in case.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    "Hüseyin Aliz" <> wrote in message
    Hi All,

    I have currently a wish to upgrade from XP (32bit) to Windows 7 - 64bit. The
    options are:

    1) Upgrade to MS Vista, then upgrade to Windows 7.
    2) Make use of 3rd party software to make a inplace upgrade of XP to Win7
    (Pcmover, zinstall etc).
    3) Make a clean of Win7 (without formatting the disk).

    What could be best option? I am currently thinking of option 3, but in this
    case i would like to ask what folder's are moved in windows.old, for
    instance i have folders like:

    c:\data
    c:\developer

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 6, 2009

  3. Hüseyin Aliz

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    There is no way to upgrade from a 32-bit to a 64-bit OS.
    Your best shot is option number 3, clean install.
    Formatting the disk is advisable in order to erase your old OS.
    Before doing that, backup all your important information to an external
    media in order to restore it once Windows 7 is installed.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 6, 2009
  4. Option 3 since there is no direct upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit.

    Use Windows Easy Transfer or a backup program of your choice, but not
    the XP backup utility: there is no facility to read its backups in
    Windows 7. Be sure you can read any backups you make in Windows 7.

    Delete the partition you want to install on and leave the space empty.
    Highlight the space as where you want to install Windows 7. If you do
    this, the Windows 7 installer can create the 100MB system partition it
    prefers for its boot files and will partition and format the remainder
    for the installation.

    Dominic Payer, Dec 6, 2009
  5. Thanks all :)

    Hüseyin Aliz, Dec 6, 2009
  6. Hüseyin Aliz

    LeeroyTonner Guest

    Hüseyin Aliz;4716596 Wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have currently a wish to upgrade from XP (32bit) to Windows 7 -
    > 64bit. The options are:
    >
    > 1) Upgrade to MS Vista, then upgrade to Windows 7.
    > 2) Make use of 3rd party software to make a inplace upgrade of XP to
    > Win7 (Pcmover, zinstall etc).
    > 3) Make a clean of Win7 (without formatting the disk).
    >
    > What could be best option?

    Zinstall is the only option that supports 32bit to 64bit upgrades.
    So doesn't seem to be much choice here - either that or a clean
    install, i.e. reinstalling every app manually.

    --
    LeeroyTonner
    LeeroyTonner's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/161511.htm

    http://forums.techarena.in

    LeeroyTonner, Dec 6, 2009
  7. Zinstall DOES NOT support an "UPGRADE" from 32-bit to 64-bit, it
    supports "MIGRATION" from 32-bit to 64-bit. There is a distinct difference.

    Bobby Johnson, Dec 6, 2009
  8. Hüseyin Aliz

    LeeroyTonner Guest

    Bobby Johnson;4716763 Wrote:
    > Zinstall DOES NOT support an "UPGRADE" from 32-bit to 64-bit, it
    > supports "MIGRATION" from 32-bit to 64-bit. There is a distinct
    > difference.

    Here's a quote from the 'product page'
    (http://zinstall.com/products/zinstall-xp7):
    > - You can migrate between two PCs - an old one with XP to a new one with
    > Win7.
    > - You can upgrade your PC to Windows 7 "in place", without losing your
    > apps, settings and data.

    So it does support upgrades.

    LeeroyTonner, Dec 6, 2009
  9. Hüseyin Aliz

    Tom Orle Guest

    Hüseyin Aliz <> wrote:

    >I have currently a wish to upgrade from XP (32bit) to Windows 7 - 64bit. The options are:
    >
    >1) Upgrade to MS Vista, then upgrade to Windows 7.
    >2) Make use of 3rd party software to make a inplace upgrade of XP to Win7 (Pcmover, zinstall etc).
    >3) Make a clean of Win7 (without formatting the disk).

    Hello Hüseyin,

    I have just finished doing what you want to do.
    But I used another option - I created a dual boot system.

    If you have enough disk space why don't you just create another
    partition for W7?

    My intial XP system was on a 500GB drive with 3 partitions: C, D and
    E. I had ove 150GB free so I decided to create another partition for
    W7, the F partition (I used partition magic to shorten the D & E
    partitions and create the new F). I then upgraded to W7 Professional -
    64bit.

    Since you can not upgrade to W7 form within XP you have to boot from
    the W7 install disk. Eventually it'll ask where you want to put it and
    you point it to the new clean partition, in my case F. Once installed,
    when you choose W7 from the startup menu, your new W7 partition will
    become the 'C' partition!! and the former XP C partition may become D;
    the former D becomes E and E becomes F. But that doesn't matter if you
    are in W7.

    (On another install, the former XP C partition was placed at the end
    and became F. The former D & E partitions stayed as D & E. - how that
    happened I don't know, but I liked it :) )

    Now you have the option of using either system and if you run the
    install in W7 on some existing applications to the same place where
    they were in XP, you can run that application from bothe systems. That
    works only for apps that can run under W7. The W7 install is to create
    the required W7 registry entries.
    To preserve all the apps setups, I first renamed the app and
    re-installed it from W7. I then deleted that install (not uninstalled
    as that would get rid of registry entries) and renamed the original
    back to its normal name.
    I did that to my MS Flight Sim which takes up a lot of space and I
    didn't want 2 copies nor did I want to maintain 2 sets of addons. That
    would have been a nightmare.

    Just my experience with W7.

    -=tom=-

    Tom Orle, Dec 6, 2009
  10. Hüseyin Aliz

    Carlos Guest

    Leeroy,
    We normally use the term "upgrade" for "on top" installations, not clean ones.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 7, 2009
  11. Hi Tom,

    Thanks for your input. I am running XP on a laptop with only 1 partition, so
    either i should reorganize my partition (like shrinking partition to make
    room for a new one or go ahead and delete/create partitions).

    Anyway, maybe i should think more about it :)

    What is your opinion about Win7, could it not replace your XP installations?

    Regards,
    Hüseyin

    Hüseyin Aliz, Dec 7, 2009
  12. Hüseyin Aliz

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 07/12/2009 in message <> Hüseyin
    Aliz wrote:

    >Thanks for your input. I am running XP on a laptop with only 1 partition,
    >so either i should reorganize my partition (like shrinking partition to
    >make room for a new one or go ahead and delete/create partitions).
    >
    >Anyway, maybe i should think more about it :)
    >
    >What is your opinion about Win7, could it not replace your XP
    >installations?

    Win7 is solid and stable and I have switched to it from XP on my main PC,
    I tried Vista but didn't like it.

    You mentioned you have a laptop - if it has an Intel chipset then check
    the driver situation before moving to Win7. Many Intel drivers are *NOT*
    included with Win7. Although some come down in system update there is
    currently no Win7 driver for the Intel Extreme graphics card.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    If it's not broken, mess around with it until it is

    Jeff Gaines, Dec 7, 2009
  13. Hüseyin Aliz

    Carlos Guest

    Jeff,
    Additionally, this is the right place to start looking for Intel drivers:
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx
    I found there Win 7 x64 drivers for my 945 Express chipset (GMA 950 graphics
    and AHCI).
    Synaptics touchpad drivers can be found here:
    http://www.synaptics.com/support/drivers
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 7, 2009
  14. Hi Jeff & Carlos,

    I have a HP laptop, and all Win7 drivers seems to be available from HP. So
    there is no driver issue i guess :)

    Regards,
    Hüseyin

    Hüseyin Aliz, Dec 7, 2009
  15. Hüseyin Aliz

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Leeroy.

    So, what pat of "32-bit to 64-bit" did you choose to ignore? Or overlook?
    Or simply not understand?

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Dec 7, 2009
  16. Hüseyin Aliz

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 07/12/2009 in message
    <> Carlos wrote:

    >Jeff,
    >Additionally, this is the right place to start looking for Intel drivers:
    >http://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx
    >I found there Win 7 x64 drivers for my 945 Express chipset (GMA 950
    >graphics
    >and AHCI).

    Not the Intel(R) 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller though :)

    There was a driver supplied with Vista but not with Win7 for some reason.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    Indecision is the key to flexibility

    Jeff Gaines, Dec 7, 2009
  17. Hüseyin Aliz

    Tom Orle Guest

    Hüseyin,

    >What is your opinion about Win7, could it not replace your XP installations?

    So far I like it. But it takes some getting used to.

    I need XP because Win7 doesn't have drivers for some of my hardware.
    And some special software I have won't run under it.

    Initially I thought of downloading the virtual XP mode addon for Win7
    but I read too many negative comments about it - being only an XP
    with limited functions and also being slow. So I decided to go the
    dual-boot way.

    Have you considered upgrading to a larger notebook hard drive? These
    are getting cheaper by the day.

    -=tom=-

    Tom Orle, Dec 7, 2009
  18. Hi Tom,

    I am lucky with the drivers, currently all my laptop drivers for win7 seems
    to be released by HP. Also I have app. 150GB left space on the harddrive, so
    the space won't be a issue. Just need to be sure I have a full backup of my
    xp system before i either choose to install dual-boot or clean install of
    win7.

    Hüseyin Aliz, Dec 7, 2009
  19. Hüseyin Aliz

    Tom Orle Guest

    "Hüseyin Aliz" <> wrote:

    >Hi Tom,
    >
    >I am lucky with the drivers, currently all my laptop drivers for win7 seems
    >to be released by HP. Also I have app. 150GB left space on the harddrive, so
    >the space won't be a issue. Just need to be sure I have a full backup of my
    >xp system before i either choose to install dual-boot or clean install of
    >win7.

    Hüseyin,

    What about your external peripherals like a printer and/or scanner?

    That was one of my issues - I have an older HP multifunction
    printer/scanner/copier which does not have full W7 support.
    I can print with it but the W7 default scanner driver won't allow me
    to select all the different resolutions I could under XP.

    -=tom=-

    Tom Orle, Dec 8, 2009
  20. Hi Tom,

    I dont have a scanner and printer should not be a issue :)

    Hüseyin Aliz, Dec 8, 2009