    If I upgrade from XP home to XP Media Center edition, will I lose all my
    programs, files, etc...? I did google my question, but I didn't get much
    help that way. Any help is appreciated :)

    Muze Gruppes, Aug 25, 2007

  2. Muze Gruppes

    gregg Guest

    "Muze Gruppes" <> wrote in message
    news:46d04368$0$24128$...
    > If I upgrade from XP home to XP Media Center edition, will I lose all my
    > programs, files, etc...? I did google my question, but I didn't get much
    > help that way. Any help is appreciated :)

    No, but you aren't getting much of an upgrade either. (IMO)

    gregg, Aug 25, 2007

  3. Muze Gruppes

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "gregg" <> wrote in message

    > "Muze Gruppes" <> wrote in message
    >> If I upgrade from XP home to XP Media Center edition, will I lose all my
    >> programs, files, etc...? I did google my question, but I didn't get much
    >> help that way. Any help is appreciated :)

    > No, but you aren't getting much of an upgrade either. (IMO)

    <g> yeah - what's it add? Windows Media Center? Yuck.

    WhzzKdd, Aug 26, 2007
  4. Muze Gruppes

    Star@*.* Guest

    On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 17:07:52 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
    <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:

    >"gregg" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Muze Gruppes" <> wrote in message
    >>> If I upgrade from XP home to XP Media Center edition, will I lose all my
    >>> programs, files, etc...? I did google my question, but I didn't get much
    >>> help that way. Any help is appreciated :)

    >> No, but you aren't getting much of an upgrade either. (IMO)

    ><g> yeah - what's it add? Windows Media Center? Yuck.

    Other comments aside Windows Media Center is an OEM version of Windows
    and was never sold as a retail or Upgrade package. If it is like any
    of the other OEM versions of Windows it will only allow a full install
    not an upgrade. If that is the case you will lose all your pre
    installed software, custom settings, emails you name it.

    Art

    Star@*.*, Aug 27, 2007
  5. Muze Gruppes

    WhzzKdd Guest

    <Star@*.*> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 17:07:52 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
    > <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>"gregg" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Muze Gruppes" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> No, but you aren't getting much of an upgrade either. (IMO)

    >><g> yeah - what's it add? Windows Media Center? Yuck.
    >>

    > Other comments aside Windows Media Center is an OEM version of Windows
    > and was never sold as a retail or Upgrade package. If it is like any
    > of the other OEM versions of Windows it will only allow a full install
    > not an upgrade. If that is the case you will lose all your pre
    > installed software, custom settings, emails you name it.

    My XP Pro OEM discs allow me to do an upgrade install from XP Home, if the
    disc is inserted when XP Home is running. Booting from the CD doesn't
    provide that option.

    WhzzKdd, Aug 27, 2007
  6. Muze Gruppes

    Star@*.* Guest

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 19:28:03 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
    <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:

    ><Star@*.*> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 17:07:52 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
    >> <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"gregg" <> wrote in message

    >>><g> yeah - what's it add? Windows Media Center? Yuck.
    >>>

    >> Other comments aside Windows Media Center is an OEM version of Windows
    >> and was never sold as a retail or Upgrade package. If it is like any
    >> of the other OEM versions of Windows it will only allow a full install
    >> not an upgrade. If that is the case you will lose all your pre
    >> installed software, custom settings, emails you name it.
    >>

    >My XP Pro OEM discs allow me to do an upgrade install from XP Home, if the
    >disc is inserted when XP Home is running. Booting from the CD doesn't
    >provide that option.

    Thanks for the info. Never tried it that way always booted from the
    CD.

    Art

    Star@*.*, Aug 28, 2007
  7. Muze Gruppes

    WhzzKdd Guest

    <Star@*.*> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 19:28:03 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
    > <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >><Star@*.*> wrote in message

    >>> Other comments aside Windows Media Center is an OEM version of Windows
    >>> and was never sold as a retail or Upgrade package. If it is like any
    >>> of the other OEM versions of Windows it will only allow a full install
    >>> not an upgrade. If that is the case you will lose all your pre
    >>> installed software, custom settings, emails you name it.
    >>>

    >>My XP Pro OEM discs allow me to do an upgrade install from XP Home, if the
    >>disc is inserted when XP Home is running. Booting from the CD doesn't
    >>provide that option.
    >>

    > Thanks for the info. Never tried it that way always booted from the
    > CD.

    May not work for all versions - but it is handy when it does :)

    WhzzKdd, Aug 28, 2007
  8. Muze Gruppes

    Plato Guest

    Muze Gruppes wrote:

    > If I upgrade from XP home to XP Media Center edition, will I lose all my
    > programs, files, etc...? I did google my question, but I didn't get much
    > help that way. Any help is appreciated :)

    You can lose everything in a second or two.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Aug 28, 2007