    are supported with x64.

    It "appears" I would be ok. Anyone see anything I'm missing? I know there
    are no guarantees with IT, etc...just looking for insight.
    Brad, Dec 17, 2007

  2. Nothing there that should be an issue. Yes, you'll need the 64bit version of
    SQL Server. And you'll need to completely re-install your existing
    applications. there is no "upgrade" - moving to 64bit means a complete,
    fresh, new install. You should plan on formatting your existing 32-bit
    partition as part of the install process, or install to a separate partition
    (in a dual boot scenario). You can't upgrade and you shouldn't install over
    the top.

    If Dell has the drivers for Vista 64, you _might_ want to consider going to
    it directly. There's no upgrade from XP x64 to Vista 64 because of
    significant changes in driver requirements. (All Vista 64 drivers must be
    signed.) So if you're planning on moving to Vista 64, it probably makes
    sense to do it now rather than later. Again, assuming drivers.

    (and you are correct. It's just like moving to a new OS. Drivers, Drivers,
    Drivers. Do your homework and you'll have no problems.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 17, 2007

  3. Brad

    S.SubZero Guest

    On Dec 17, 6:49 am, Brad <> wrote:
    > Ok, I have been given the red flag by many sales people and technical support
    > reps(of which I am surprised and thankful for). I also see there are many
    > discussions going on in regards to different issues out there.

    Wow, it sounds like every possible person has discouraged this move.
    For the record, I love XP64. 8)

    Dell's site actually has XP64 listed as an option for this PC, but
    it's not clear how to actually get it. No matter. XP64 is likely to
    install without much trouble, but you will need drivers for things:

    NIC - get this BEFORE you install and have it ready on a disc.
    Nothing makes setup harder than having no network access! Since XP64
    is built on the Server2003 codebase, NIC support should be a no-
    brainer.
    Motherboard - If it's an Intel chipset motherboard (likely with Dell),
    Intel's chipset utility on their website will work fine
    Video - Because you're probably gonna be in 640x480xSUPER SLOW. Have
    them handy, or at least know where to get them once the NIC is
    working. Note that nVidia and ATI both have healthy XP64 support.
    Audio - Might be tricky depending on the chipset. On-board audio
    might take some Google-hunting. If you can get the chipset name and
    model from the existing 32-bit XP install that can help a lot.

    I recently put XP64 on my Inspiron E1705 laptop, and despite Dell
    having no XP64 drivers for it at all I got drivers for every component
    on the thing. Works great.

    Office 2007 will work perfectly in XP64, no sweat there. Acrobat 8
    *should* work, but note that Adobe has yet to release 64-bit versions
    of pretty much anything. I curse their inability to code Flash 64-bit
    every time I open IE7 64-bit or Firefox 64-bit. GROWL.
    S.SubZero, Dec 17, 2007
  4. Brad

    Brad Guest

    Thank you both for your responses.

    Don't let me misrepresent the vendors, reps and the like. They weren't
    really discouraging it, they more less said what you two have said. RESEARCH
    my move before making it. and I can repect that. It has been only a couple
    in the discussions that have truly been negative.

    Brad, Dec 17, 2007
  5. On 2007-12-17, Brad <> wrote:
    > Thank you both for your responses.
    >
    > Don't let me misrepresent the vendors, reps and the like. They weren't
    > really discouraging it, they more less said what you two have said. RESEARCH
    > my move before making it. and I can repect that. It has been only a couple
    > in the discussions that have truly been negative.

    Remains the question why you want x64? Ok, 64>32, but does it matter?
    x64 buys you some things: 64-bit pointers, more registers and a better
    instruction set. It also costs: more memory (notably for applications
    that use lots of pointers). More memory means more memory I/O and in my
    experience this quite often cancels what is gained by the extra
    registers and better instruction set. Then there are incompatible
    drivers and non-existent binary (browser) plugins.

    All in all, get x64 if you have at least 4GB main memory or you need to
    run one of these rare applications that need more *virtual memory* than
    3GB or you need to run one of these few applications that are really
    faster in x64.

    .... running x64 and x32 linux as well as xp 32 and 64 (because I run one
    of these rare applications where I need more virtual address space, have
    4GB and don't care about problems with browser plugins that much).

    Cheers --- Jan

    Jan Wielemaker, Dec 17, 2007