    Microsoft’s “Windows Seven Compatibility Centerâ€, but no mention of it
    there, either. So Linux is offering him at least as good an upgrade path as
    Windows.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 23, 2009

  2. In message <hbqqo1$td6$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Turns out it’s a Motorola SM56, which is a “winmodemâ€, so no Linux
    > drivers.

    Looks like others have got it to work
    <http://hardware4linux.info/component/28292/>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 23, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> I've got a friend who's currently in hospital. He has a four-year-old
    >> Acer Aspire that came with Windows XP,

    > Well no wonder he's in hospital.
    >
    >> and he's not in a financial
    >> position to buy a new machine. I entertained him during one visit
    >> with the games on my Eee 701 (running Ubuntu Jaunty). He was so taken
    >> that he accepted my suggestion to take his PC and put the same system
    >> on it (dual-booting with Windows, of course).
    >>
    >> I got that done a couple of nights ago. Everything worked fine, and
    >> he even gets some 3D graphics effects now. But I couldn't get the
    >> on-board modem to work (he's still on dialup Internet). Turns out
    >> it's a Motorola SM56, which is a "winmodem", so no Linux drivers.
    >> Just for fun, I tried searching Microsoft's "Windows Seven
    >> Compatibility Center", but no mention of it there, either. So Linux
    >> is offering him at least as good an upgrade path as Windows.

    > That's nice.

    LOL, yeah, like Larry has a friend! Likely he volunteers to visit lonely
    people in hospital who're bed-bound so they can't get up and leave. I'm not
    surprised that he was pleased when Larry started playing with his netbook
    and feigned interest to keep him on it.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 23, 2009
  4. In message <hbqqo1$td6$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > But I couldn’t get the on-board modem to work (he’s still on dialup
    > Internet). Turns out it’s a Motorola SM56, which is a “winmodemâ€, so no
    > Linux drivers.

    Was able to find and install the slmodem package, so this is now working as
    well. Initializing this requires loading a couple of kernel modules (ungrab-
    winmodem and slamr) and starting a daemon, but I can set up a simple script
    icon he can double-click to automate all this later.

    Still having a problem connecting to his actual dialup account at Slingshot,
    though. I figured out that pppd tries different authentication methods, but
    their server simply ignores PAP authentication requests, so it keeps
    repeatedly trying them and then gives up. Setting "refuse-pap" in the pppd
    options gets it to try CHAP authentication, and in the syslog I can see it
    receiving a challenge and sending a response. And then a few more LCP
    negotiations. And nothing more.

    (Adding "refuse-mschap" made no difference, while "refuse-chap" stopped it
    doing any authentication at all. So I guess this means Slingshot support
    CHAP and not MS-CHAP.)

    I get the feeling Slingshot have only tested their service with Windows PPP
    clients, and nothing else.

    > Just for fun, I tried searching Microsoft’s “Windows Seven Compatibility
    > Centerâ€, but no mention of it there, either. So Linux is offering him at
    > least as good an upgrade path as Windows.

    Worth repeating for the trolls. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 3, 2009