    (will I have to reinstall other programs)

    Would it be better to go out and buy a new PC with XP already installed?

    Steve

    Steve, Nov 6, 2003

  2. Steve

    Top Guest

    Hey Steve,
    I wanted to upgrade my HP from Me to XP, then ended up doing a fresh
    install. Works so much better than Me did. The upgrade install lets you know
    before hand if any programs are going to have trouble. My Norton anti-virus
    and firewall needed to be upgraded. Some old software would not work at
    all,like Iomega cd creator and hp scanning software. I found some new
    drivers and programs from the net for that hardware. Anyway it was defiantly
    worth the trouble. Very few crashes and runs so much faster.
    Thanks
    Top A+ C++
    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > Is it worth upgrading from MS Windows ME to XP (home edition)?- the only
    > thing I want from XP is more stability on my home computer (my computer
    > doesn't crash all that often but it does crash occasionally)
    > My computer meets all the hardware requirements. But is upgrading

    difficult

    Top, Nov 6, 2003

  3. Steve

    Harrison Guest

    On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 17:27:09 -0500, "Steve" <> wrote:

    >Is it worth upgrading from MS Windows ME to XP (home edition)?-

    Oh God, Hell YES! Definitely!
    >the only
    >thing I want from XP is more stability on my home computer (my computer
    >doesn't crash all that often but it does crash occasionally)

    And that's what you'll get.

    >My computer meets all the hardware requirements. But is upgrading difficult
    >(will I have to reinstall other programs)

    The best way is to back up your data, wipe the drive and do a clean
    installation of XP.

    >Would it be better to go out and buy a new PC with XP already installed?

    Depends on how up to date your hardware is. XP runs best on 500 Mhz.
    and up with 512 MB RAM.

    Harrison, Nov 6, 2003
  4. Steve

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote:

    >Is it worth upgrading from MS Windows ME to XP (home edition)?- the only
    >thing I want from XP is more stability on my home computer (my computer
    >doesn't crash all that often but it does crash occasionally)
    >My computer meets all the hardware requirements. But is upgrading difficult
    >(will I have to reinstall other programs)
    >
    >Would it be better to go out and buy a new PC with XP already installed?

    I am going to seriously disagree with the others who have responded.

    Upgrading from WindowsMe to Windows XP can work very well, provided
    you do a bit of checking and preparation ahead of time. Former MVP
    Gary Woodruff has an excellent article on upgrading to Windows XP
    which you will find at http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    There is zero reason to do a clean install in preference to an
    upgrade.

    During the beta testing of Windows XP I tested every beta version I
    received by first making a copy of my Windows Me partition and then
    installing XP as an upgrade of that copy. On a number of occasions I
    also installed the same beta version as a clean install. I can
    honestly state that the only difference I ever found between an
    upgrade install and a clean install of the same beta version was that
    a clean install was an absolute p.i.t.a because all of the
    applications had to be reinstalled.

    My current system is XP Pro upgraded from XP Home upgraded from
    WindowsMe upgraded from Windows 98 SE upgraded from Windows 98
    upgraded from Windows 95B upgraded from Windows 95 upgraded from WFWG
    3.11 I have changed hardware multiple times during this evolution, of
    course.

    It runs just fine with no errors and performance benchmarks etc. are
    the same as I get from a clean install of XP on another partition on
    this hard drive.

    However there are the occasional situations where upgrade installs do
    not work out. If that happens to you then you still have to option to
    wipe it all out and do a clean install. But the odds are that an
    upgrade install, provided you read Gary's article and follow the
    advice in it, will work just fine.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Nov 7, 2003
  5. Steve

    RDS Guest

    The article is good reading and I recommend it to anyone considering XP of
    any installation. I must disagree with your statement "There is zero reason
    to do a clean install in preference to an upgrade."
    If you have some corrupt files and decide to upgrade you can still have
    corrupt files and have not accomplished anything by such. Whereas, a clean
    install will wipe all files and install new non-corrupt files.

    Roger

    RDS, Nov 8, 2003