Upgrading from Windows 98 to XP - how do I save some of the stuff I want?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by summer@winter.fall, Feb 7, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I'm moving from Windows 98 to XP.

    A friend of mine is letting me bring my computer into his office (he's
    the business owner), and back all my data onto his server. At that
    point, I'm just going to format the hard disk, install XP, and copy
    back my data from his server onto my hard disk.

    This way, I'm starting with a virus-free, spyware-free setup, even
    though I think my computer is pretty clean as it is.

    I'm concerned about a few things though.

    One is my program files. I have the installation disks for most
    (probably not all) my software. However, a lot of other software (all
    of what I own is validly-purchased software) was downloaded from the
    web after paying for it. I don't have the installer files any more,
    and of course I never had a disk for them. So how do I reinstall
    those? I can't just copy from the backup of the program file onto an
    XP machine and have it run, can I?

    Another is my preferences, and especially my passwords, for my
    browsers. I use both Internet Explorer and Netscape 7. No problem,
    of course, downloading current versions of those and installing once
    XP is up and running. But how can I preserve my prefs and my
    passwords for those two browsers? Configuring them to get them to
    how/where I wanted them was awful and I'd hate to have to do it again.

    Also, simple as it sounds, I have a few "junk" files and folders in my
    C:\Windows\Desktop folder and I don't want to lose them. Can I simply
    copy the \Windows\Desktop folder and its contents from the server
    backup to wherever something like that is supposed to go in XP and
    have a desktop that looks the same?

    If there's a good step-by-step reference out there - there has to be,
    right? - for people who've done this before, I'd love to see a link.
    , Feb 7, 2005

  2. James Mourby Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I'm moving from Windows 98 to XP.
    >
    > A friend of mine is letting me bring my computer into his office (he's
    > the business owner), and back all my data onto his server. At that
    > point, I'm just going to format the hard disk, install XP, and copy
    > back my data from his server onto my hard disk.
    >
    > This way, I'm starting with a virus-free, spyware-free setup, even
    > though I think my computer is pretty clean as it is.

    Technically yes, however as soon as you start to copy files back onto the pc
    again, you will also copy any virus back as well.... probably best just to
    run a virus checker and spyware programs.

    > I'm concerned about a few things though.
    >
    > One is my program files. I have the installation disks for most
    > (probably not all) my software. However, a lot of other software (all
    > of what I own is validly-purchased software) was downloaded from the
    > web after paying for it. I don't have the installer files any more,
    > and of course I never had a disk for them. So how do I reinstall
    > those? I can't just copy from the backup of the program file onto an
    > XP machine and have it run, can I?

    Depends on the program, some will copy across and fine perfectly well, some
    will not run as they have registry entries pointing them to places, shared
    files, .dll files in the windows directory etc. These will need to be
    re-installed.

    > Another is my preferences, and especially my passwords, for my
    > browsers. I use both Internet Explorer and Netscape 7. No problem,
    > of course, downloading current versions of those and installing once
    > XP is up and running. But how can I preserve my prefs and my
    > passwords for those two browsers? Configuring them to get them to
    > how/where I wanted them was awful and I'd hate to have to do it again.

    Favourites and cookies can be eaily exported via the inbuilt export options
    in I.E. or you can just copy the "favourites" folder from the windows
    directory. Personally im not sure where the preferences and passwords are
    stored.

    > Also, simple as it sounds, I have a few "junk" files and folders in my
    > C:\Windows\Desktop folder and I don't want to lose them. Can I simply
    > copy the \Windows\Desktop folder and its contents from the server
    > backup to wherever something like that is supposed to go in XP and
    > have a desktop that looks the same?

    The windows\desktop folder can be copied to the new \documents and
    settings\user\desktop folder however you will have to re-set the view
    preferences etc. (Especially as things as the background pictures will not
    be on the new pc)

    > If there's a good step-by-step reference out there - there has to be,
    > right? - for people who've done this before, I'd love to see a link.

    Somewhere......
    James Mourby, Feb 7, 2005

  3. °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:25:48 GMT, in
    <>
    scrawled:

    >I'm moving from Windows 98 to XP.
    >
    >A friend of mine is letting me bring my computer into his office (he's
    >the business owner), and back all my data onto his server. At that
    >point, I'm just going to format the hard disk, install XP, and copy
    >back my data from his server onto my hard disk.
    >
    >This way, I'm starting with a virus-free, spyware-free setup, even
    >though I think my computer is pretty clean as it is.

    No you're not; well, not necessarily, anyway. Worms, viruses
    and malware can be copied across with your data.

    >I'm concerned about a few things though.
    >
    >One is my program files. I have the installation disks for most
    >(probably not all) my software. However, a lot of other software (all
    >of what I own is validly-purchased software) was downloaded from the
    >web after paying for it. I don't have the installer files any more,

    Why on earth not? Would you throw away a software CD as
    soon as you had installed it?

    >and of course I never had a disk for them. So how do I reinstall
    >those? I can't just copy from the backup of the program file onto an
    >XP machine and have it run, can I?

    No, you can't. You can, however, re-download the installation files,
    or contact the authors.

    >Another is my preferences, and especially my passwords, for my
    >browsers. I use both Internet Explorer and Netscape 7. No problem,
    >of course, downloading current versions of those and installing once
    >XP is up and running. But how can I preserve my prefs and my
    >passwords for those two browsers? Configuring them to get them to
    >how/where I wanted them was awful and I'd hate to have to do it again.

    How can it be so awful to configure just two browsers?
    As for favorites, use the 'File / Export', 'File / Import' functions.
    Your Netscape .prefs file can be copied over, and replaced
    once you have it installed on the new system, but IE preferences
    are much more complicated, and you will find it much easier
    to just reconfigure IE manually.

    >Also, simple as it sounds, I have a few "junk" files and folders in my
    >C:\Windows\Desktop folder and I don't want to lose them. Can I simply
    >copy the \Windows\Desktop folder and its contents from the server
    >backup to wherever something like that is supposed to go in XP and
    >have a desktop that looks the same?

    You can copy the *contents* of the Desktop folder over, but don't
    replace it with the old Desktop folder, else you will lose everything
    on the new one -- you should NOT keep things on the desktop, by
    the way. It is THE most dangerous place to store anything, since
    a system crash can result in you losing the lot. Set up a folder
    somewhere else, and place a shortcut to that folder on the desktop.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Feb 7, 2005
  4. wrote:

    > I'm moving from Windows 98 to XP.

    > A friend of mine is letting me bring my computer into his office (he's
    > the business owner), and back all my data onto his server. At that
    > point, I'm just going to format the hard disk, install XP, and copy
    > back my data from his server onto my hard disk.

    > This way, I'm starting with a virus-free, spyware-free setup, even

    Well, not quite spyware-free; you'll be running WinXP.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:
    Now killing all posts made with User-Agent G2
    Blinky the Shark, Feb 7, 2005