Upgrading from Windows 2000 to XP Pro, what's the cheapest way?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Pacific Dragon, Apr 3, 2005.

  1. As stated in the title. I need to upgrade my current windows 2000
    installation to XP pro, what is the cheapest and legal way to do this?
    Having a browse through various websites, an upgrade edition is in the
    order of $500+, As such, I feel Paying that much just to upgrade is a
    little on the high side.
    Pacific Dragon, Apr 3, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. In article <98mmyok7tvmp.1mx44d2qqsyvg$>,
    Pacific Dragon <> wrote:

    >As stated in the title. I need to upgrade my current windows 2000
    >installation to XP pro, what is the cheapest and legal way to do this?
    >Having a browse through various websites, an upgrade edition is in the
    >order of $500+, As such, I feel Paying that much just to upgrade is a
    >little on the high side.


    Welcome to the Microsoft Tax.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 3, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Pacific Dragon

    C9H8O4 Guest

    "Pacific Dragon" <> wrote in message
    news:98mmyok7tvmp.1mx44d2qqsyvg$...
    > As stated in the title. I need to upgrade my current windows 2000
    > installation to XP pro, what is the cheapest and legal way to do this?
    > Having a browse through various websites, an upgrade edition is in the
    > order of $500+, As such, I feel Paying that much just to upgrade is a
    > little on the high side.


    Buy an OEM copy of Windows XP Pro from your local PC builder. To stay within
    the terms of the MS OEM agreement they'll have to sell you a power cord or
    something similar as well but I guess you can always hand it back 30 seconds
    later and ask for a credit :)
    C9H8O4, Apr 3, 2005
    #3
  4. Pacific Dragon

    C9H8O4 Guest

    "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In article <98mmyok7tvmp.1mx44d2qqsyvg$>,
    > Pacific Dragon <> wrote:
    >
    >>As stated in the title. I need to upgrade my current windows 2000
    >>installation to XP pro, what is the cheapest and legal way to do this?
    >>Having a browse through various websites, an upgrade edition is in the
    >>order of $500+, As such, I feel Paying that much just to upgrade is a
    >>little on the high side.

    >
    > Welcome to the Microsoft Tax.


    Here's a pointer that I can't believe I'm wasting my time providing to you.
    Most people who read newsgroups are relatively level-headed in their
    approach to all things IT. Remember that many of the people reading the
    posts haven't posted themselves so don't make the mistake of assuming that
    the tone of nz.comp reflects that of the IT world because it doesn't. Not
    even slightly. Every time you post a stupid comment like the one above you
    do your cause damage. Many senior IT people view the open source movement as
    being a rag-tag bunch of coders, nutcases and Microsoft-haters. It's a
    fundamentally incorrect viewpoint but you play right into their hands with
    your poorly thought out, derogatory and, often, incorrect comments. The
    people who really are making a difference within the open source movement
    must despair at people like you negating their hard work. Here's a quote for
    you: "there are times in life where it is better to keep quiet and be
    thought an idiot than open one's mouth and remove all doubt". I suggest you
    print it out and stick it to your monitor. Putting it another way, Microsoft
    couldn't pay for better anti-open source PR than you provide.
    C9H8O4, Apr 3, 2005
    #4
  5. Pacific Dragon

    Frederick Guest

    C9H8O4 wrote:

    > "Pacific Dragon" <> wrote in message
    > news:98mmyok7tvmp.1mx44d2qqsyvg$...
    >
    >>As stated in the title. I need to upgrade my current windows 2000
    >>installation to XP pro, what is the cheapest and legal way to do this?
    >>Having a browse through various websites, an upgrade edition is in the
    >>order of $500+, As such, I feel Paying that much just to upgrade is a
    >>little on the high side.

    >
    >
    > Buy an OEM copy of Windows XP Pro from your local PC builder. To stay within
    > the terms of the MS OEM agreement they'll have to sell you a power cord or
    > something similar as well but I guess you can always hand it back 30 seconds
    > later and ask for a credit :)
    >
    >

    Then sell your Windows 2000 CD & license on TradeMe.
    That way, your cost to upgrade should be about $100 or just over.
    Frederick, Apr 3, 2005
    #5
  6. Pacific Dragon

    Gurble Guest

    On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 14:18:58 +1200, Frederick
    <> had this to say:

    >C9H8O4 wrote:
    >
    >> "Pacific Dragon" <> wrote in message
    >> news:98mmyok7tvmp.1mx44d2qqsyvg$...
    >>
    >>>As stated in the title. I need to upgrade my current windows 2000
    >>>installation to XP pro, what is the cheapest and legal way to do this?
    >>>Having a browse through various websites, an upgrade edition is in the
    >>>order of $500+, As such, I feel Paying that much just to upgrade is a
    >>>little on the high side.

    >>
    >>
    >> Buy an OEM copy of Windows XP Pro from your local PC builder. To stay within
    >> the terms of the MS OEM agreement they'll have to sell you a power cord or
    >> something similar as well but I guess you can always hand it back 30 seconds
    >> later and ask for a credit :)
    >>
    >>

    >Then sell your Windows 2000 CD & license on TradeMe.
    >That way, your cost to upgrade should be about $100 or just over.


    Unless, of course, it's an OEM copy. Then you legally cannot sell it,
    unless you sell your computer with it...
    Gurble, Apr 3, 2005
    #6
  7. Pacific Dragon

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 14:22:09 +1200, Gurble wrote:

    >>> Buy an OEM copy of Windows XP Pro from your local PC builder. To stay
    >>> within the terms of the MS OEM agreement they'll have to sell you a
    >>> power cord or something similar as well but I guess you can always
    >>> hand it back 30 seconds later and ask for a credit :)
    >>>
    >>>

    >>Then sell your Windows 2000 CD & license on TradeMe. That way, your cost
    >>to upgrade should be about $100 or just over.

    >
    > Unless, of course, it's an OEM copy. Then you legally cannot sell it,
    > unless you sell your computer with it...


    Nah - just sell it with the original power cord. ;o)


    Bling Bling

    --
    Groklaw: "Seriously, the problem Microsoft has with its FUD is this: it waited
    too long. Too many solid, upstanding, capitalist corporations now believe in
    and depend on open source. They are making money, and they aren't going to
    allow the anti-FOSS FUD to stand unchallenged."
    Bling-Bling, Apr 3, 2005
    #7
  8. Pacific Dragon

    Gurble Guest

    On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 14:38:28 +1200, Bling-Bling
    <> had this to say:

    >On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 14:22:09 +1200, Gurble wrote:
    >
    >>>> Buy an OEM copy of Windows XP Pro from your local PC builder. To stay
    >>>> within the terms of the MS OEM agreement they'll have to sell you a
    >>>> power cord or something similar as well but I guess you can always
    >>>> hand it back 30 seconds later and ask for a credit :)
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>Then sell your Windows 2000 CD & license on TradeMe. That way, your cost
    >>>to upgrade should be about $100 or just over.

    >>
    >> Unless, of course, it's an OEM copy. Then you legally cannot sell it,
    >> unless you sell your computer with it...

    >
    >Nah - just sell it with the original power cord. ;o)
    >

    Hmmm....

    I don't think it works like that selling, only buying...
    Gurble, Apr 3, 2005
    #8
  9. Pacific Dragon

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 15:01:41 +1200, Gurble wrote:

    >>> Unless, of course, it's an OEM copy. Then you legally cannot sell it,
    >>> unless you sell your computer with it...

    >>
    >>Nah - just sell it with the original power cord. ;o)
    >>

    > Hmmm....
    >
    > I don't think it works like that selling, only buying.


    Well... someone would be buying it and it would be sold with hardware that
    it had been originally supplied with.

    If it's good enough for Microsnot to sell it with only a power cord then
    it's good enough for someone else to sell with only a power cord.


    Bling Bling

    --
    Groklaw: "Seriously, the problem Microsoft has with its FUD is this: it waited
    too long. Too many solid, upstanding, capitalist corporations now believe in
    and depend on open source. They are making money, and they aren't going to
    allow the anti-FOSS FUD to stand unchallenged."
    Bling-Bling, Apr 3, 2005
    #9
  10. Pacific Dragon

    Gurble Guest

    On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 15:14:58 +1200, Bling-Bling
    <> had this to say:

    >On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 15:01:41 +1200, Gurble wrote:
    >
    >>>> Unless, of course, it's an OEM copy. Then you legally cannot sell it,
    >>>> unless you sell your computer with it...
    >>>
    >>>Nah - just sell it with the original power cord. ;o)
    >>>

    >> Hmmm....
    >>
    >> I don't think it works like that selling, only buying.

    >
    >Well... someone would be buying it and it would be sold with hardware that
    >it had been originally supplied with.
    >
    >If it's good enough for Microsnot to sell it with only a power cord then
    >it's good enough for someone else to sell with only a power cord.
    >

    You don't need to convince me. I'm just stating my interpretation of
    the licensing conditions you agreed to when you started using Windows.

    Once OEM Windows has been installed/activated, it is licensed to be
    used with that hardware configuration, and that hardware configuration
    alone.

    Might not be fair, but that's what you agreed to.
    Gurble, Apr 3, 2005
    #10
  11. Pacific Dragon

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 16:33:27 +1200, Gurble wrote:

    > Once OEM Windows has been installed/activated, it is licensed to be
    > used with that hardware configuration, and that hardware configuration
    > alone.


    I didn't do the original installation on my legacy Windows box. I've also
    changed much of the hardware in that box - it can hardly be said to be the
    original hardware configuration.

    That said, I won't be replacing it with any other version of Micro$oft
    Windows; and to use it I have to unplug the monitor and keyboard from one
    of my Linux boxen.


    Bling Bling

    --
    Groklaw: "Seriously, the problem Microsoft has with its FUD is this: it waited
    too long. Too many solid, upstanding, capitalist corporations now believe in
    and depend on open source. They are making money, and they aren't going to
    allow the anti-FOSS FUD to stand unchallenged."
    Bling-Bling, Apr 3, 2005
    #11
  12. Pacific Dragon

    Gurble Guest

    On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 17:56:18 +1200, Bling-Bling
    <> had this to say:

    >On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 16:33:27 +1200, Gurble wrote:
    >
    >> Once OEM Windows has been installed/activated, it is licensed to be
    >> used with that hardware configuration, and that hardware configuration
    >> alone.

    >
    >I didn't do the original installation on my legacy Windows box. I've also
    >changed much of the hardware in that box - it can hardly be said to be the
    >original hardware configuration.
    >
    >That said, I won't be replacing it with any other version of Micro$oft
    >Windows; and to use it I have to unplug the monitor and keyboard from one
    >of my Linux boxen.
    >

    Fair enough.

    The other thing to consider, of course, is that if you do use the
    Upgrade version, you cannot sell the original one (it becomes part of
    the license).

    This obviously wont matter if you end up doing an OEM.
    Gurble, Apr 3, 2005
    #12
  13. Pacific Dragon

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 17:59:14 +1200, Gurble wrote:

    > The other thing to consider, of course, is that if you do use the
    > Upgrade version, you cannot sell the original one (it becomes part of
    > the license).


    True - because to do a fresh install you'd probably need to have the
    original one either on CD or on HDD before you could install the upgrade
    version.


    Bling Bling

    --
    Groklaw: "Seriously, the problem Microsoft has with its FUD is this: it waited
    too long. Too many solid, upstanding, capitalist corporations now believe in
    and depend on open source. They are making money, and they aren't going to
    allow the anti-FOSS FUD to stand unchallenged."
    Bling-Bling, Apr 3, 2005
    #13
  14. Pacific Dragon

    steve Guest

    C9H8O4 wrote:
    > "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >
    >>In article <98mmyok7tvmp.1mx44d2qqsyvg$>,
    >>Pacific Dragon <> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>As stated in the title. I need to upgrade my current windows 2000
    >>>installation to XP pro, what is the cheapest and legal way to do this?
    >>>Having a browse through various websites, an upgrade edition is in the
    >>>order of $500+, As such, I feel Paying that much just to upgrade is a
    >>>little on the high side.

    >>
    >>Welcome to the Microsoft Tax.

    >
    >
    > Here's a pointer that I can't believe I'm wasting my time providing to you.
    > Most people who read newsgroups are relatively level-headed in their
    > approach to all things IT. Remember that many of the people reading the
    > posts haven't posted themselves so don't make the mistake of assuming that
    > the tone of nz.comp reflects that of the IT world because it doesn't. Not
    > even slightly. Every time you post a stupid comment like the one above you
    > do your cause damage.


    You're being over-sensitive...and damaging your own "case" as a result.

    What Lawrence has pointed out is that Windows costs a lot of money.
    Money not justified by its market share (90%+) globally....which should
    see it be as cheap as chips - if there was a real market and not a
    monopoly.

    That is a simple fact. Lawrence isn't doing anything bad or wrong in
    looking beyond the immediate question and highlighting the issues behind
    it.




    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
    steve, Apr 3, 2005
    #14
  15. Pacific Dragon

    XPD Guest

    "Pacific Dragon" <> wrote in message
    news:98mmyok7tvmp.1mx44d2qqsyvg$...
    > As stated in the title. I need to upgrade my current windows 2000
    > installation to XP pro, what is the cheapest and legal way to do this?
    > Having a browse through various websites, an upgrade edition is in the
    > order of $500+, As such, I feel Paying that much just to upgrade is a
    > little on the high side.


    Know someone with a student ID ?
    Get them to take your $150 and go into DSE and get the "academic" upgrade to
    XP Pro. :)
    XPD, Apr 3, 2005
    #15
  16. C9H8O4 wrote:
    >>As stated in the title. I need to upgrade my current windows 2000
    >>installation to XP pro, what is the cheapest and legal way to do this?
    >>Having a browse through various websites, an upgrade edition is in the
    >>order of $500+, As such, I feel Paying that much just to upgrade is a
    >>little on the high side.


    > Buy an OEM copy of Windows XP Pro from your local PC builder. To stay within
    > the terms of the MS OEM agreement they'll have to sell you a power cord or
    > something similar as well but I guess you can always hand it back 30 seconds
    > later and ask for a credit :)


    heh, and then the OEM must support the install... yeah, that'd make good
    business sense.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 4, 2005
    #16
  17. Pacific Dragon

    C9H8O4 Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > C9H8O4 wrote:
    >>>As stated in the title. I need to upgrade my current windows 2000
    >>>installation to XP pro, what is the cheapest and legal way to do this?
    >>>Having a browse through various websites, an upgrade edition is in the
    >>>order of $500+, As such, I feel Paying that much just to upgrade is a
    >>>little on the high side.

    >
    >> Buy an OEM copy of Windows XP Pro from your local PC builder. To stay
    >> within the terms of the MS OEM agreement they'll have to sell you a power
    >> cord or something similar as well but I guess you can always hand it back
    >> 30 seconds later and ask for a credit :)

    >
    > heh, and then the OEM must support the install... yeah, that'd make good
    > business sense.


    I agree with you, it might not be a smart business decision but that doesn't
    stop a lot of local OEM's doing it anyway
    C9H8O4, Apr 4, 2005
    #17
  18. In article <qDH3e.15169$>,
    "C9H8O4" <> wrote:

    >"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> In article <98mmyok7tvmp.1mx44d2qqsyvg$>,
    >> Pacific Dragon <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>As stated in the title. I need to upgrade my current windows 2000
    >>>installation to XP pro, what is the cheapest and legal way to do this?
    >>>Having a browse through various websites, an upgrade edition is in the
    >>>order of $500+, As such, I feel Paying that much just to upgrade is a
    >>>little on the high side.

    >>
    >> Welcome to the Microsoft Tax.

    >
    >...your poorly thought out, derogatory and, often, incorrect comments.


    What a strange overreaction. I said nothing derogatory: I didn't insult
    the original poster's mental abilities or parentage, call them a poor
    fool for using Microsoft, or liken Bill Gates to the Antichrist. All I
    did was use a term that is quite commonly accepted to describe the
    situation of people who, once they start paying for a Microsoft product,
    find themselves continuing to pay and pay--very much like a tax.

    And looking at other responses in this thread, none of which as yet have
    offered an (honest) way of reducing the payment that the original poster
    was complaining about, I have to say that my point still stands: the
    Microsoft Tax strikes again.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Apr 4, 2005
    #18
  19. Pacific Dragon

    Chris Hope Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <qDH3e.15169$>,
    > "C9H8O4" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    >>message news:...
    >>> In article <98mmyok7tvmp.1mx44d2qqsyvg$>,
    >>> Pacific Dragon <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>As stated in the title. I need to upgrade my current windows 2000
    >>>>installation to XP pro, what is the cheapest and legal way to do
    >>>>this? Having a browse through various websites, an upgrade edition
    >>>>is in the order of $500+, As such, I feel Paying that much just to
    >>>>upgrade is a little on the high side.
    >>>
    >>> Welcome to the Microsoft Tax.

    >>
    >>...your poorly thought out, derogatory and, often, incorrect comments..

    >
    > What a strange overreaction. I said nothing derogatory: I didn't
    > insult the original poster's mental abilities or parentage, call them
    > a poor fool for using Microsoft, or liken Bill Gates to the
    > Antichrist. All I did was use a term that is quite commonly accepted
    > to describe the situation of people who, once they start paying for a
    > Microsoft product, find themselves continuing to pay and pay--very
    > much like a tax.


    They don't *have* to upgrade at all though.

    > And looking at other responses in this thread, none of which as yet
    > have offered an (honest) way of reducing the payment that the original
    > poster was complaining about,


    There were a couple of suggestions. One was to buy an academic version
    (dubious and probably an illegal license if not a student or teacher)
    and the other to get an OEM version.

    > I have to say that my point still stands: the Microsoft Tax strikes
    > again.


    Using your theory, then any software that charges for a license is a tax
    if they don't offer free upgrades forever. Think software like
    Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Opera, Goldmine, Oracle, Lotus Notes etc etc
    etc etc etc.

    Open source is all well and good but there are commercial realities and
    these companies need to make money to continue developing their
    software. It would take a huge mindshift to change from being a
    commercial software company to one that pretty much gives it away and
    only charges for support.

    You can throw in Apple's OSX in to your tax thoery as well. In fact
    they're worse than MS because they don't even offer upgrade pricing
    according to the enquiries I have made in the past; you have to pay
    full retail for any new release you decide to upgrade to.

    --
    Chris Hope | www.electrictoolbox.com | www.linuxcdmall.co.nz
    Chris Hope, Apr 4, 2005
    #19
  20. Pacific Dragon

    shannon Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:
    snipped
    >
    > You can throw in Apple's OSX in to your tax thoery as well. In fact
    > they're worse than MS because they don't even offer upgrade pricing
    > according to the enquiries I have made in the past; you have to pay
    > full retail for any new release you decide to upgrade to.
    >


    IIRC the "Microsoft Tax" doesn't have anything to do with software upgrades

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_tax
    shannon, Apr 4, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Neil
    Replies:
    174
    Views:
    3,167
    Briscobar
    Apr 17, 2006
  2. ¬Stephen Hammond
    Replies:
    53
    Views:
    1,577
    Julius
    Nov 5, 2005
  3. Rob
    Replies:
    27
    Views:
    1,202
  4. =?Utf-8?B?c2NvdHQ=?=

    upgrading from windows 2000 pro

    =?Utf-8?B?c2NvdHQ=?=, Jul 3, 2005, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    336
    Andre Da Costa [Extended64]
    Jul 3, 2005
  5. John John

    AMD Opteron: 1-way, 2-way, ... Up to 8-way.

    John John, Dec 24, 2005, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    741
    Tony Sperling
    Dec 27, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page