    or do i have t have windows xp pro first?
    --
    scott
    =?Utf-8?B?c2NvdHQ=?=, Jul 3, 2005

  2. "scott" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > can i upgrade straight from windows 2k pro to windows xp pro 64bit
    > or do i have t have windows xp pro first?
    > --
    > scott

    No - there is no upgrade path from any 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS.
    It is a clean install.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jul 3, 2005

  3. Scott;
    Since 64bit is OEM only, you can not upgrade.
    You will need to perform a Clean Installation.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jul 3, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?c2NvdHQ=?=

    Randy Guest

    Scott, be sure to at least skim over the websites MS has setup for both new
    x64 operating systems, which answer many basic questions for you.

    Randy, Jul 3, 2005
  5. scott wrote:
    > can i upgrade straight from windows 2k pro to windows xp pro 64bit
    > or do i have t have windows xp pro first?

    You cannot upgrade from Win2K to WinXPx64. WinXPx64 is an OEM product
    and, as such, is specifically designed to perform only clean
    installations; it's not capable of doing an upgrade at all, regardless
    of the base OS.

    And, do you really have Win2K installed on a 64-bit hardware platform?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
    Bruce Chambers, Jul 3, 2005
  6. Scott, sorry, but because of the architecture, Windows 2000 being 32-bit and
    Windows XP Professional x64 being 64-bit, there is no upgrade path
    available. However, you can do a dual boot installation to retain
    compatibility with existing applications that might not be supported on x64.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 3, 2005