    and get the CD, and then wait a couple of months before I install it? Or
    would this be a breach of the licence?

    Thanks for any help.

    =?Utf-8?B?TXVwcGV0Qm95?=, Jul 23, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TXVwcGV0Qm95?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    TAP runs out July 31. You'll have to figure out what you're doing pretty
    quick...

    M. Murcek, Jul 23, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TXVwcGV0Qm95?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Originally the response was the license was cancelled when the TAP was
    installed, then Mike Brannagan changed the terms to received. No one from
    Microsoft has answered the question posed as to which is correct. I guess
    you have to take your chances since it is impossible to get a straight
    answer from Microsoft.

    John Barnes, Jul 23, 2005
  4. "MuppetBoy" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm thinking of upgrading my 32-bit xp to 64-bit through the Technology
    > Advancement Program, but a couple of my devices don't have 64-bit drivers
    > available for them yet.
    >
    > Anyone know if under the terms of the upgrade I can request my upgrade now
    > and get the CD, and then wait a couple of months before I install it? Or
    > would this be a breach of the licence?

    The nature of the program is that you are swapping out your license for your
    32-bit product for a 64-bit one.
    So once you have the media and key for your x64 product you should not make
    any assumption about your 32-bit license still being valid. You should
    perform your swap-out in a timely fashion.
    Just to clarify what I mean by your license being valid - once you have
    agreed to swap out your license and have received your media we may choose
    to revoke you 32-bit license at any time without warning. This could result
    in a Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) test failing and this preventing
    downloading items from us and Windows Product (WPA) Activation may fail
    which would prevent any reinstallations or reactivations succeeding etc.

    So since you are not legally holding 2 licensed copies of Windows once we
    ship you your x64 copy you need to decide what to do. If you cannot adhere
    to the licensing for Windows by removing your 32-bit (now unlicensed) copy
    and replacing it with your x64 (licensed) product then you may wish to
    reconsider using the TAP to replace a 32-bit license at this time.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jul 23, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TXVwcGV0Qm95?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    I don't see any ambiguity there. And I'm NOT being sarcastic...

    M. Murcek, Jul 23, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?TXVwcGV0Qm95?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Never said there was any ambiguity, just a change from all previous postings
    from Microsoft which said ' when installed' Since they do have your old
    license number, they are in control, so this reiteration seem final and it
    would appear that it would be risky. Also, if you haven't tried your
    programs on a trial version of x64 you may have significant problems on that
    front also. You are almost too late to get a trial downloaded and tested,
    but if you can, I would certainly do that before dumping your x86 license.

    John Barnes, Jul 23, 2005
  7. Thanks for your help guys,

    I don't think upgrade at the moment, sounds like it'll end up too messy.
    Guess I'll just have to wait for the drivers I need to be released and then
    go out and buy x64.

    =?Utf-8?B?TXVwcGV0Qm95?=, Jul 23, 2005
  8. If you are not in a position to run a dual boot using the trial, then I
    agree that the TAP is not for you. I bypassed TAP and went with the OEM
    purchased through a PC Builder. I really don't want to give up one of my
    licenses anyway. But then I have a use for it and you may not.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 23, 2005