    Thanks in advance.

    Cheers

    Troy

    Bob, Sep 26, 2009

  2. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Excellent!

    Thanks so much for your help

    Bob, Sep 26, 2009

  3. In article <h9jlbh$6s5$-september.org>,
    says...

    > Hi there
    > I am wanting to upgrade the CPU on a desktop, it currently has a 1.8Ghz, and
    > I am wondering how far can I upgrade?
    > The motherboard is a:
    > Gigabyte Technology Co, Ltd nForce GA-K8NSC-939
    >
    > Any info on how I would go about finding what speed CPU it can take would be
    > greatly appreciated. It currently has an AMD chip, so would I need to stay
    > with AMD?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Troy

    Indeed, you can't put intel chips into amd mobos and vice versa.

    Gigabyte have good support on their website: if you go to the page for
    your specific mobo you should find a cpu compatibility list there, and
    also which bios version is required for various cpu. Might have to
    download a file and flash the bios. On the more recent Gigabyte mobos
    you can flash the bios from a file on the harddrive, using a simple
    keypress on the startup screen -- don't have to make special boot
    floppies any more (I think it's the F8 or F12 key on mine, but I'm not
    entirely sure).

    h.t.h. (and good luck still finding a cpu that suits: I couldn't find
    any retailer in NZ who'd still sell a quad-core cpu suited for my 2 year
    old mobo. Fortunately I have a nephew in the States who could get one
    for me. Trademe might be your best bet.)

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Sep 26, 2009
  4. Bob

    thingy Guest

    On Sep 26, 11:56 am, "Bob" <> wrote:
    > Hi there
    > I am wanting to upgrade the CPU on a desktop, it currently has a 1.8Ghz, and
    > I am wondering how far can I upgrade?
    > The motherboard is a:
    > Gigabyte Technology Co, Ltd nForce  GA-K8NSC-939
    >
    > Any info on how I would go about finding what speed CPU it can take would be
    > greatly appreciated. It currently has an AMD chip, so would I need to stay
    > with AMD?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Troy

    This is a 939 socket motherbaord, so CPU's are going to be rare new
    and last time I looked expensive, ditto the memory as its DDR...

    So I wouldnt upgrade just the CPU, but replace it with a new
    motherboard, 2gb DDR2 ram and dual core AMD CPU...mboard about $120,
    CPU $150, Ram $80.

    So about $350....but you might need a new PSU as well about $90....

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Sep 26, 2009
  5. Bob

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-09-25, Bob <> wrote:
    > Hi there
    > I am wanting to upgrade the CPU on a desktop, it currently has a 1.8Ghz, and
    > I am wondering how far can I upgrade?
    > The motherboard is a:
    > Gigabyte Technology Co, Ltd nForce GA-K8NSC-939

    Google, here is some food for you.

    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=1881

    > Any info on how I would go about finding what speed CPU it can take would be
    > greatly appreciated. It currently has an AMD chip, so would I need to stay
    > with AMD?

    No. Intel supported motherboards are also made.

    Gordon, Sep 26, 2009