    the Compaq Support site and could find no relevant info. We don't
    stock these CPUs (we're a service/support organisation, not retail) so
    it's not simply a matter of try one and see.

    Chip, Oct 22, 2003

  2. Chip

    SNOman Guest

    Chip wrote:
    > I have a customer with a Compaq Presario desktop PC, model no. 5wv230.
    > It came with an AMD Duron 700MHz CPU and I'm wondering whether it can
    > be upgraded to a Duron 1.2GHz or 1.3GHz? I've searched high and low on
    > the Compaq Support site and could find no relevant info. We don't
    > stock these CPUs (we're a service/support organisation, not retail) so
    > it's not simply a matter of try one and see.

    Why not just contact HP NZ or post to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

    SNOman, Oct 22, 2003

  3. Chip

    pete Guest

    "SNOman" <> wrote in message
    > Chip wrote:
    > > I have a customer with a Compaq Presario desktop PC, model no. 5wv230.
    > > It came with an AMD Duron 700MHz CPU and I'm wondering whether it can
    > > be upgraded to a Duron 1.2GHz or 1.3GHz? I've searched high and low on
    > > the Compaq Support site and could find no relevant info. We don't
    > > stock these CPUs (we're a service/support organisation, not retail) so
    > > it's not simply a matter of try one and see.

    > Why not just contact HP NZ or post to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

    I have a PC that was previously running a Duron 700. Dropped in a Duron 1300
    and off it went, no problem at all. The PC does not have a Compaq-made board
    but chances are the board in your Presario isn't a Compaq-made part either.

    pete, Oct 23, 2003
  4. Chip

    Lost Guest

    Chip wrote:

    > I have a customer with a Compaq Presario desktop PC, model no. 5wv230.
    > It came with an AMD Duron 700MHz CPU and I'm wondering whether it can
    > be upgraded to a Duron 1.2GHz or 1.3GHz?

    Typically the Bios needs to be updated for it to recognise them
    'correctly'. Usually an old Socket A motherboard can be upgrade all the
    way up to an Athlon XP, so long as the CPU is manually unlocked & the
    multipliers set correctly.

    Anyway, it is probably a waste of time going from a Duron 700 to Duron
    1300. If they actually need more speed, they're better off buying a new
    computer. Especially considering all the tricks brand-name computers pull
    to prevent upgrades.

    Lost, Oct 23, 2003
  5. Chip

    pete Guest

    "Lost" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Chip wrote:
    >
    > > I have a customer with a Compaq Presario desktop PC, model no. 5wv230.
    > > It came with an AMD Duron 700MHz CPU and I'm wondering whether it can
    > > be upgraded to a Duron 1.2GHz or 1.3GHz?

    > Typically the Bios needs to be updated for it to recognise them
    > 'correctly'. Usually an old Socket A motherboard can be upgrade all the
    > way up to an Athlon XP, so long as the CPU is manually unlocked & the
    > multipliers set correctly.
    >
    > Anyway, it is probably a waste of time going from a Duron 700 to Duron
    > 1300. If they actually need more speed, they're better off buying a new
    > computer. Especially considering all the tricks brand-name computers pull
    > to prevent upgrades.

    My Duron 1300 cpu cost $80 odd inc tax. pretty good bang for the buck(s)
    No BIOS update required

    pete, Oct 24, 2003
  6. Chip

    Lebowski Guest

    You may be able to shoot higher than that, depending on the system.

    My computer originally came with an 800mhz Duron, upgradeable to a 1.2 /
    1.3ghz (according to the motherboard manual). However, with a BIOS upgrade I
    was able to install an Athlon XP processor, so here I am with my 2400+XP,
    and sold my old 800mhz Duron. A bios flash & a few multiplier / fsb setting
    changes and it was fine. Maybe your customer can do the same?

    Lebowski, Nov 8, 2003