    new Motherboard but use all other exiting bits and pieces i.e same
    case and psu, same hard drives, cards, and CDROM drives, will I need
    to reinstall WindowsXP?

    JayJay, May 8, 2004

  2. JayJay

    Thor Guest

    "JayJay" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > If I upgrade my present AMD CPU and Motherboard to a new AMD CPU and
    > new Motherboard but use all other exiting bits and pieces i.e same
    > case and psu, same hard drives, cards, and CDROM drives, will I need
    > to reinstall WindowsXP?

    yes, more than likely. WindowsXP does not care for major hardware changes.
    And swapping out the motherboard and CPU is often about as major as it gets.
    Be prepared to do a repair install at the least.

    Thor, May 9, 2004

  3. JayJay

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    JayJay <> wrote in

    > case and psu, same hard drives, cards, and CDROM drives, will I need
    > to reinstall WindowsXP?

    More then likely, unless you are upgrading from an nForce 1 based board to
    an nForce2 or nForce3 based board, you will need to do at least a recovery
    installation.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, May 9, 2004
  4. JayJay

    mark mandel Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "JayJay" <> wrote in message
    > > If I upgrade my present AMD CPU and Motherboard to a new AMD CPU and
    > > new Motherboard but use all other exiting bits and pieces i.e same
    > > case and psu, same hard drives, cards, and CDROM drives, will I need
    > > to reinstall WindowsXP?

    > yes, more than likely. WindowsXP does not care for major hardware changes.
    > And swapping out the motherboard and CPU is often about as major as it

    gets.
    > Be prepared to do a repair install at the least.

    Plus quite likely you'd need to re-activate with changes of that magnitude.

    mark mandel, May 9, 2004
  5. JayJay

    JayJay Guest

    On Sun, 09 May 2004 02:55:03 GMT, mark mandel wrote:

    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "JayJay" <> wrote in message
    >>> If I upgrade my present AMD CPU and Motherboard to a new AMD CPU and
    >>> new Motherboard but use all other exiting bits and pieces i.e same
    >>> case and psu, same hard drives, cards, and CDROM drives, will I need
    >>> to reinstall WindowsXP?

    >> yes, more than likely. WindowsXP does not care for major hardware changes.
    >> And swapping out the motherboard and CPU is often about as major as it

    > gets.
    >> Be prepared to do a repair install at the least.

    > Plus quite likely you'd need to re-activate with changes of that magnitude.

    Bugger, I've reactivated twice this year already:)

    JayJay, May 9, 2004
  6. JayJay

    JayJay Guest

    On Sat, 8 May 2004 21:27:08 -0400, Thor wrote:

    > "JayJay" <> wrote in message
    >> If I upgrade my present AMD CPU and Motherboard to a new AMD CPU and
    >> new Motherboard but use all other exiting bits and pieces i.e same
    >> case and psu, same hard drives, cards, and CDROM drives, will I need
    >> to reinstall WindowsXP?

    > yes, more than likely. WindowsXP does not care for major hardware changes.
    > And swapping out the motherboard and CPU is often about as major as it gets.
    > Be prepared to do a repair install at the least.

    Not doubting what you say, just wonder why WindowsXP requires a
    reinstall?

    JayJay, May 9, 2004
  7. JayJay

    JayJay Guest

    On 09 May 2004 01:27:54 GMT, DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > JayJay <> wrote in
    >
    >> case and psu, same hard drives, cards, and CDROM drives, will I need
    >> to reinstall WindowsXP?

    > More then likely, unless you are upgrading from an nForce 1 based board to
    > an nForce2 or nForce3 based board, you will need to do at least a recovery
    > installation.

    Present motherboard is an SL-75DRV5 not sure if this is an nForce1 but
    the new motherboard is the Abit NF7-SL which is an nForce2. So in your
    opinion would a reinstall or recovery (repair)be required in this
    case?

    JayJay, May 9, 2004
  8. JayJay

    Plato Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > > case and psu, same hard drives, cards, and CDROM drives, will I need
    > > to reinstall WindowsXP?

    > yes, more than likely. WindowsXP does not care for major hardware changes.
    > And swapping out the motherboard and CPU is often about as major as it gets.
    > Be prepared to do a repair install at the least.

    Makes one long for the days when 6.22 or win3.x didn't give a hoot what
    hardware you changed. Looking back, I now get a kick that all you had to
    do was use the MS supplied
    256 color driver in the 8 disk set of 3.11 to get any card to AOL.
    Looking even further
    back, how did we ever survive in 16 colors?

    Plato, May 9, 2004
  9. JayJay

    Thor Guest

    "JayJay" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 8 May 2004 21:27:08 -0400, Thor wrote:
    >
    > > "JayJay" <> wrote in message
    > >> If I upgrade my present AMD CPU and Motherboard to a new AMD CPU and
    > >> new Motherboard but use all other exiting bits and pieces i.e same
    > >> case and psu, same hard drives, cards, and CDROM drives, will I need
    > >> to reinstall WindowsXP?

    > > yes, more than likely. WindowsXP does not care for major hardware

    changes.
    > > And swapping out the motherboard and CPU is often about as major as it

    gets.
    > > Be prepared to do a repair install at the least.

    > Not doubting what you say, just wonder why WindowsXP requires a
    > reinstall?

    Because it just doesn't deal with a motherboard change that well unless the
    replacement was substantially the same. Often, it won't even boot up
    afterwards. Win95/98/ME was a little more forgiving, but sometimes a
    reinstall was necessary there too.

    Thor, May 9, 2004
  10. JayJay

    Thor Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Thor wrote:
    > >
    > > > case and psu, same hard drives, cards, and CDROM drives, will I need
    > > > to reinstall WindowsXP?

    > > yes, more than likely. WindowsXP does not care for major hardware

    changes.
    > > And swapping out the motherboard and CPU is often about as major as it

    gets.
    > > Be prepared to do a repair install at the least.

    > Makes one long for the days when 6.22 or win3.x didn't give a hoot what
    > hardware you changed. Looking back, I now get a kick that all you had to
    > do was use the MS supplied
    > 256 color driver in the 8 disk set of 3.11 to get any card to AOL.
    > Looking even further
    > back, how did we ever survive in 16 colors?

    well, back then the PCs couldn't even do full motion video, and the internet
    wasn't a big thing yet, and no digital cameras existed, nor games that had
    complex graphics (the PC couldn't run it otherwise) so there was really no
    need.

    Well, on second thought, maybe there was a need. All those porn CDs you used
    to see at computer shows. heh, heh.

    Thor, May 9, 2004
  11. JayJay

    Plato Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > Well, on second thought, maybe there was a need. All those porn CDs you used
    > to see at computer shows. heh, heh.

    I never bought or used a porn cd. I recall the first time I saw one tho.
    It was this game where you had to bring these four women to the big O.
    You could flip them around and play with certain parts of their bodies.
    The trick to win was to get them to the big O before you blasted. It
    used real video of real actors. This was back in '95 also. The guy who
    showed me it is now asking for nickels at the bus stop in Buffalo NY. I
    guess
    he didn't have the lead lined Massy Preenup so he was 100% exposed.

    Plato, May 10, 2004
  12. JayJay

    ProfGene Guest

    It is always easier to do a clean install as the drivers for the new
    motherboard are different than the old one. But you could try it the other
    way to see if you can surmount the problems. The easiest way is to start
    with a new fresh hdd. You can always use your old hdd as a send drive which
    will allow you to copy the information.

    ProfGene, May 10, 2004
  13. JayJay

    kekoa1969

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Similar situation

    I was wondering the same thing. I just upgraded from a AMD 2400+ to a 3200+, kept everything else the same including the mobo (asus a7n8x-e deluxe). Afterwards I kept getting blue screens, then a buddy told me I might have to reinstall windows xp. I tried doing a repair install, but it took me to a dos prompt, at which point I'm lost. So how do I go about doing a repair install?

    kekoa1969, Oct 19, 2006