Upgrading Cisco 3640

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by haydude, Jun 13, 2006.

  1. haydude

    haydude Guest

    Hi All,

    I am trying to upgrade my 3640's flash. I understand that the max
    supported (officially) is 2 x 16MB. However has anybody tried with 2 x
    32MB flash simm modules? Is it supposed to work?

    HD
     
    haydude, Jun 13, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Hi HD,

    You may wish to investigate How to Determine the SIMM Configuration of
    a Cisco 3620 or 3640 Series Router:

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_tech_note09186a0080104555.shtml

    Upgrading System Memory in Cisco 3600 Series Routers

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products..._and_configuration_guide09186a008007ce07.html

    Cisco 3600 Series Memory Options and Configuration Guide:

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/prod_bulletin09186a0080091f70.html

    Hope this helps.

    Brad Reese
    BradReese.Com - Cisco Network Engineer Directory
    http://www.bradreese.com/network-engineer-directory.htm
    1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
    Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
    USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
    International: 828-277-7272
    Fax: 775-254-3558
    AIM: R2MGrant
    Website: http://www.bradreese.com/contact-us.htm
     
    =?iso-8859-1?q?BradReese.Com=AE_-_Leverage_Your_Ci, Jun 13, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. haydude

    haydude Guest

    BradReese.Com® - Leverage Your Cisco Network wrote:
    > Hi HD,
    >
    > You may wish to investigate How to Determine the SIMM Configuration of
    > a Cisco 3620 or 3640 Series Router:
    >


    Brad, thank you for your reply, but Cisco's documents as usual only
    tell me what I already knew.

    I was wondering if I could push a 3640 beyond the limits documented by
    Cisco by installing 2 x 32 MB Flash memory SIMMs thereby getting 64 MB
    total.

    HD
     
    haydude, Jun 13, 2006
    #3
  4. www.BradReese.Com, Jun 13, 2006
    #4
  5. haydude

    haydude Guest

    www.BradReese.Com wrote:
    > New Cisco Memory Part Numbers:
    >
    > MEM3640-2X32D=
    >
    > Replaces:
    >
    > Two MEM3640-32D='s
    >
    > Description
    >
    > 64 MB DRAM for the Cisco 3640 ( 2x32MB DRAM SIMMs )
    >


    Brad, I was talking about FLASH not DRAM

    HD
     
    haydude, Jun 14, 2006
    #5
  6. haydude

    Joel Guest

    I used compact flash cards to upgrade my router flash. 64MB is
    supported and you don't need to open up the router. You don't
    need to power down the router (I did run across an older version
    of IOS the required power cycle to recognize the card.) Plus it
    cost less. There are several approved vendors for the CF.

    Joel

    haydude wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am trying to upgrade my 3640's flash. I understand that the max
    > supported (officially) is 2 x 16MB. However has anybody tried with 2 x
    > 32MB flash simm modules? Is it supposed to work?
    >
    > HD
    >
     
    Joel, Jun 14, 2006
    #6
  7. haydude

    rick Guest

    On 13 Jun 2006 03:49:23 -0700, "haydude" <> wrote:

    >
    >BradReese.Com® - Leverage Your Cisco Network wrote:
    >> Hi HD,
    >>
    >> You may wish to investigate How to Determine the SIMM Configuration of
    >> a Cisco 3620 or 3640 Series Router:
    >>

    >
    >Brad, thank you for your reply, but Cisco's documents as usual only
    >tell me what I already knew.
    >
    >I was wondering if I could push a 3640 beyond the limits documented by
    >Cisco by installing 2 x 32 MB Flash memory SIMMs thereby getting 64 MB
    >total.
    >
    >HD


    I do not think it is possible. I have worked with quite a few
    CISCO3640's and have never heard of anyone being able to put 64 megs
    of flash into the router. Also, I believe the maximum you could put
    in the PCMCIA slot is 20 megs, per slot.

    * We buy and sell new/used networking equipment. Please contact me if
    you have any offers or are interested in buying *

    ** in stock! **

    2 x CISCO1760 (64D/32F) $500.00/each USED
    1 x CISCO1760-VPN/K9 (96D/32F) $650.00/each USED
    1 x CISCO2621-DC (32D/8F) $425.00/each USED
    1 x CISCO2851 (256D/64F) $3,100.00/each USED
    1 x CISCO2851-HSEC/K9 (256D/64F) $3,700.00/each USED
    1 x CISCO3640 (64D/32F) $375.00/each USED
    1 x VG224 NEW IN BOX $3600
    2 x VG248 NEW IN BOX $5000/each


    Rick Truong
    TruTech Systems
    AIM: ricktrutek
    E-Mail: rick at trutechsystems dot net
     
    rick, Jun 15, 2006
    #7
  8. haydude

    haydude Guest

    Joel wrote:
    > I used compact flash cards to upgrade my router flash. 64MB is
    > supported and you don't need to open up the router. You don't
    > need to power down the router (I did run across an older version


    Please could you point me to a device known to work with a 3640?

    HD
     
    haydude, Jun 15, 2006
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. David
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    914
    David
    May 10, 2004
  2. piertonio
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    4,691
    www.BradReese.Com
    Jul 24, 2005
  3. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,147
    www.BradReese.Com
    Jun 18, 2006
  4. Jason
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    415
    Jason
    Dec 15, 2006
  5. benchmark
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    1,883
    benchmark
    Jul 29, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page