    has in there now. The comp is about 5-6 years old. Any help appreciated.
    Thanks.

    -Shawn

    Shawn, Apr 27, 2004

  2. Shawn

    °Mike° Guest

    Guessing is not the smartest thing to do.
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:47:40 GMT, in
    <gqBjc.31222$0u6.5504018@attbi_s03>
    Shawn scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Apr 27, 2004

  3. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    What did I do wrong?
    From http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Consult the online Help and the manual" - There's no manual. It's an
    old system that he picked up.

    "Search the Internet, put key words about the problem into a Search
    Engine like DTS-L Fast Search." - I searched Google groups and web.
    I type in the error message I'm getting and it says I need a new
    card. I'm asking for suggestions.

    "If you still can't find the answer, post to a newsgroup" - I did

    "How to compose your post" - I did this. Short subject, told you all
    the specs that I knew, gave the error message I got, told you what was
    done to get the error message, etc.

    Just asking for suggestions. Sorry bro if I'm not understanding what I
    did wrong. The only thing I don't know is what kind of card he has.
    What is the difference between a video card and a graphics card? Are
    they the same? How can I tell him to check to see which one he has?

    Shawn, Apr 28, 2004
  4. Shawn

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Shawn" <> wrote in message
    > What did I do wrong?
    > From http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > "Consult the online Help and the manual" - There's no manual. It's an
    > old system that he picked up.
    >
    > "Search the Internet, put key words about the problem into a Search
    > Engine like DTS-L Fast Search." - I searched Google groups and web.
    > I type in the error message I'm getting and it says I need a new
    > card. I'm asking for suggestions.
    >
    > "If you still can't find the answer, post to a newsgroup" - I did
    >
    > "How to compose your post" - I did this. Short subject, told you all
    > the specs that I knew, gave the error message I got, told you what was
    > done to get the error message, etc.
    >
    > Just asking for suggestions. Sorry bro if I'm not understanding what I
    > did wrong. The only thing I don't know is what kind of card he has.
    > What is the difference between a video card and a graphics card? Are
    > they the same? How can I tell him to check to see which one he has?

    First, not to sound crabby, but using com.com for an e-mail address isn't
    very nice to com.com - I'm sure they don't want any more junk email sent to
    them. (Tip...change the .com to .invalid...there are *no* valid .invalids)

    Second, Mike was simply hoping you would be able to add some important info
    to the post...like the name of the game that is giving the error message.

    My suggestion would be for you to have your brother download Aida32, and
    find out what kind of hardware is in his box:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download181.html Great program - get a copy for
    yourself ;-)

    Then you can find out what kind of video (graphics - same thing) card is in
    the computer, what kind of slots are available (PCI, AGP) and go shopping!

    Toolman Tim, Apr 28, 2004
  5. Shawn

    °Mike° Guest

    What you did wrong was guess. Find out *exactly*
    what the problem is, including "word-for-word" error
    messages, operating system, hardware details, name
    of the software involved, is the software compatible
    with such an old system, etc. The more details you
    can supply, the better.

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 00:48:11 GMT, in

    °Mike°, Apr 28, 2004
  6. > What is the difference between a video card and a graphics card?

    A video card can handle uncompressed video and is a dedicated piece of
    hardware for video processing and production, something like a DMediaPro
    card. Graphics cards are hardware devices for processing visual data
    sets and displaying the results. Check out "http://www.3dlabs.com/".

    Alexander Rogge, Apr 28, 2004