    the EEPROM?

    finally, if this does support an IOS version, can anyone tell me where i can
    get it from?
    Sameer, Dec 5, 2003

  2. In article <DO0Ab.2851$>,
    Sameer <> wrote:
    :i purchased one of these off of eBay. the IOS, if it was called that in
    :1993, is 9.1. this OS release, unfortunately, does not support classless IP
    :addressing. i need classless IP addressing.

    :does anyone know the very last IOS version for this device? I've been trying
    :to poke around cisco's website, but I haven't found any indicator as to the
    :very last IOS made for this access server.

    I'm not sure about the -last- IOS, but it was at least IOS 10.3(4):

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios103/rn_cs103/83396.htm

    'ip classless' was introduced in IOS 12.2(8)T, so I think you
    are not going to be able to find what you want.

    :also, upgrading this unit... is it simply a matter of uploading the new IOS
    :through a tftp server, or is it something that requires the replacement of
    :the EEPROM?

    The release notes should explain that.

    :finally, if this does support an IOS version, can anyone tell me where i can
    :get it from?

    IOS is non-transferable, so you do not have a license to use the
    device you just bought [unless the terms were different back them.]
    The device hasn't been sold in many years -- it's a device from
    literally a decade ago, so you might well not even be able to get a
    license from Cisco.

    It's seldom a good idea to buy used Cisco equipment unless you
    already know how you are going to relicense it and get upgrades for it. :(
    --
    Scintillate, scintillate, globule vivific
    Fain would I fathom thy nature specific.
    Walter Roberson, Dec 5, 2003

  3. Sameer

    Neil Cherry Guest

    On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 14:41:39 GMT, Sameer wrote:

    > does anyone know the very last IOS version for this device? I've been trying
    > to poke around cisco's website, but I haven't found any indicator as to the
    > very last IOS made for this access server.

    I have 10.3 on one of mine.

    > also, upgrading this unit... is it simply a matter of uploading the new IOS
    > through a tftp server, or is it something that requires the replacement of
    > the EEPROM?

    I don't know about flash/eprom, I boot mine via a boot command.

    > finally, if this does support an IOS version, can anyone tell me where i can
    > get it from?

    Cisco is the _ONLY_ place and I'm pretty sure you'll need a contract
    (don't even think of asking me for a copy!). I respect intellectual
    property and Copyrights (despite what SCO would have you believe).

    --
    Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry
    http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)
    Neil Cherry, Dec 5, 2003
  4. Sameer

    Rik Bain Guest

    On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 08:41:39 -0600, Sameer wrote:

    > i purchased one of these off of eBay. the IOS, if it was called that in
    > 1993, is 9.1. this OS release, unfortunately, does not support classless
    > IP addressing. i need classless IP addressing.
    >
    > does anyone know the very last IOS version for this device? I've been
    > trying to poke around cisco's website, but I haven't found any indicator
    > as to the very last IOS made for this access server.
    >
    > also, upgrading this unit... is it simply a matter of uploading the new
    > IOS through a tftp server, or is it something that requires the
    > replacement of the EEPROM?
    >
    > finally, if this does support an IOS version, can anyone tell me where i
    > can get it from?

    Here is a link detailing the upgrade process.
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_serv/cis500cs/500cshim/22278.htm

    From what I gather, you need new eeproms and 10MB of memory to get it to
    10.0. Not sure if CIDR was introduced by 10.0 or not, I can only find it
    in 11.0 and higher.

    Rik Bain
    Rik Bain, Dec 5, 2003
  5. In article <>,
    Rik Bain <> wrote:
    :Not sure if CIDR was introduced by 10.0 or not, I can only find it
    :in 11.0 and higher.

    Hmmm, the Feature Navigator lists CIDR under
    "Classless InterDomain Routing (CIDR) IP Default Gateway"
    from IOS 12.2(8)T only, but it turns out that's a BGP-related feature.

    "ip classless" does look to have been present since before
    11.0 but I can't tell when.
    --
    Caution: A subset of the statements in this message may be
    tautologically true.
    Walter Roberson, Dec 5, 2003
  6. "Sameer" <> wrote in message
    > does anyone know the very last IOS version for this device? I've been

    trying
    > to poke around cisco's website, but I haven't found any indicator as to

    the
    > very last IOS made for this access server.

    10.3 was the last IOS for the 500-CS. It is hopelessly obsolete.

    > also, upgrading this unit... is it simply a matter of uploading the new

    IOS
    > through a tftp server, or is it something that requires the replacement of
    > the EEPROM?

    Well, you have a few problems.

    1) Since you got it second hand, the IOS you are running is not legally
    licensed. That is your biggest worry.

    Read
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/csc/refurb_equipment/swpolicy.html

    2) The IOS software is loaded in EPROM, and the new EPROMs are no longer
    made. This are not flash, not EEPROM, but UV-erasable EPROM. And it is not
    trivial to burn a new set of EPROMs, even if you had the code. The tools to
    make the PROMs were Cisco internal and reseller only, and reverse
    engineering the PROMs is pretty tricky.

    3) Even if you did manage all that, it needs larger EPROMs, which requires
    changing the jumpers. Which I am not sure ever got documented in the web
    based docs.

    4) You can TFTP boot the software over the network every time using the boot
    system command, but

    5) You would need 10M of memory (30 pin 70ns) which

    6) requires changing the memory jumpers, which may not be documented.

    > finally, if this does support an IOS version, can anyone tell me where i

    can
    > get it from?

    You have to buy it from Cisco. And I don't think we sell it anymore. And
    it wouldn't be worth the money if we did. All of this software and product
    is end-of-lifed and end-of-support at this point.

    If you want to proceed with pirated software, you can do so at your own
    risk. I can provide jumper docs on request. But I'd think it not worth
    your time. What are you planning to use the box for? 10.3 is pretty old
    software, and the ports are capped at 38400bps.

    This hardware is a decade old. It predates Netscape, fer crying out loud.
    It had JUST got PPP support. 1993 was a LONG time ago. Think Pentium 1.
    Think 14.4k modems. Think gopher and WAIS.
    Phillip Remaker, Dec 5, 2003
  7. "Walter Roberson" <-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote in message
    > "ip classless" does look to have been present since before
    > 11.0 but I can't tell when.

    ip classless was part of the VLSM (Variable Length Subnet Masks) capability
    added in IP routing rewrite in the 9.21 IOS code. In 9.1, all addressing
    was classful. Supernetting, masks on static routes, and OSPF VLSM all came
    out in 9.21.

    Buy me a beer someday for the story of the epic struggle to release the
    followup to 9.1 IOS. It was not even called IOS back then. It looked like
    it was going to slip forever.

    Useless info follows.

    Cisco historical trivia:

    1) At what release did IOS start being called IOS?

    2) Why wasn't 9.21 called 9.2?

    3) What were the 9.14 and 9.17 releases for?

    4) At what point did Cisco start placing letters after version names?

    5) Eall of the major and minor releases since 8.1. (you are allowed to
    exclude letters)

    6) What was the CCIE program originally called.

    7) What version introduced the concept of an async interface seperate and
    distinct from a line tty?

    A lot of this stuff is lost to time, and doesn't matter at all. But I lived
    through it. What a trip.
    Phillip Remaker, Dec 5, 2003
  8. Sameer

    Sameer Guest

    "Phillip Remaker" <> wrote in message
    > 1) Since you got it second hand, the IOS you are running is not legally
    > licensed. That is your biggest worry.
    >
    > Read
    > http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/csc/refurb_equipment/swpolicy.html

    does this means that all surplus dealers and their customers on eBay are in
    serious trouble? does cisco honestly take issue with those who purchase
    suprlus for the use of a home lab? i haven't even seen these guys say
    anything about the buyer relicensing the software.

    seems pretty draconian to me. i asked the people at MSFT something about
    this a few months ago. it was something similar to this scenario. they
    say, as long as you purchase equipment with the COA's as well as the OS,
    there will be no issues with taking a new license. although, a new license
    is needed in the event you need to reinstall... but this is a topic that
    should be discussed at another time and elsewhere. :)

    > 2) The IOS software is loaded in EPROM, and the new EPROMs are no longer
    > made. This are not flash, not EEPROM, but UV-erasable EPROM. And it is

    not
    > trivial to burn a new set of EPROMs, even if you had the code. The tools

    > make the PROMs were Cisco internal and reseller only, and reverse
    > engineering the PROMs is pretty tricky.
    >
    > 3) Even if you did manage all that, it needs larger EPROMs, which requires
    > changing the jumpers. Which I am not sure ever got documented in the web
    > based docs.
    >
    > 4) You can TFTP boot the software over the network every time using the

    boot
    > system command, but
    >
    > 5) You would need 10M of memory (30 pin 70ns) which

    this device has 10M installed.

    > 6) requires changing the memory jumpers, which may not be documented.
    >
    > > finally, if this does support an IOS version, can anyone tell me where i

    > can
    > > get it from?

    > You have to buy it from Cisco. And I don't think we sell it anymore. And
    > it wouldn't be worth the money if we did. All of this software and

    product
    > is end-of-lifed and end-of-support at this point.

    i wouldn't mind shelling out the cash if it was possible to buy the last
    version... provided the version allows for VLSM... and from the looks of
    it... it doesn't. :/

    > If you want to proceed with pirated software, you can do so at your own
    > risk. I can provide jumper docs on request. But I'd think it not worth
    > your time. What are you planning to use the box for? 10.3 is pretty old
    > software, and the ports are capped at 38400bps.

    i just need 9600bps :)

    > This hardware is a decade old. It predates Netscape, fer crying out loud.
    > It had JUST got PPP support. 1993 was a LONG time ago. Think Pentium 1.
    > Think 14.4k modems. Think gopher and WAIS.

    this is not going to be used for a production environment. i need an access
    server for my home router pod. this was within my budget. it was a little
    less than half as much as a 2509.

    besides, what else can this device be used for... other than an access
    server?
    Sameer, Dec 6, 2003
  9. Sameer

    Sameer Guest

    well go on... answer the trivia :) it'll give me something to talk about
    during the next cisco user group meeting.

    -Sameer

    Sameer, Dec 6, 2003
  10. In article <AR9Ab.3252$>,
    Sameer <> wrote:
    :does cisco honestly take issue with those who purchase
    :suprlus for the use of a home lab?

    Yes. The relicensing program is quite new, and appears to be a reaction
    to sales via eBay.

    :seems pretty draconian to me.

    I don't object in principle, since the license terms have long
    prohibited transfering the license. But I do personally think that
    they should make it a lot less expensive.

    :i wouldn't mind shelling out the cash if it was possible to buy the last
    :version... provided the version allows for VLSM... and from the looks of
    :it... it doesn't. :/

    I'm not convinced either way. 10.3 is after the 9.21 that Philip
    indicated started including VLSM. But I'm not sure that "10.3"
    is even in the same numbering scheme as the 9.21 that Philip mentioned.
    --
    "Meme" is self-referential; memes exist if and only if the "meme" meme
    exists. "Meme" is thus logically a meta-meme; but until the existance
    Walter Roberson, Dec 6, 2003
  11. Sameer

    Neil Cherry Guest

    On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 10:11:13 -0800, Phillip Remaker wrote:
    > This hardware is a decade old. It predates Netscape, fer crying out loud.
    > It had JUST got PPP support. 1993 was a LONG time ago. Think Pentium 1.
    > Think 14.4k modems. Think gopher and WAIS.

    I use them as, uhm, terminal servers. :) They work great for console
    access in a lab (where I work). Comments like that make me want to
    return my ASM (I needed o100 port ;-).

    Neil Cherry, Dec 6, 2003
  12. In article <1070647806.656062@sj-nntpcache-5>,
    Phillip Remaker <> wrote:
    :This hardware is a decade old. It predates Netscape, fer crying out loud.
    :It had JUST got PPP support. 1993 was a LONG time ago. Think Pentium 1.
    :Think 14.4k modems. Think gopher and WAIS.

    Phillip makes me feel old...

    But he's right. 14.4k modems indeed. They were a step down from
    the 18800's I was using in the years before that, but, as they say,
    "The mediocre crowds out the good." (A variation on Gresham's Law.)

    Now when I was younger...
    --
    Warhol's Second Law of Usenet: "In the future, everyone will troll
    for 15 minutes."
    Walter Roberson, Dec 6, 2003
  13. Sameer

    Sameer Guest

    > Yes. The relicensing program is quite new, and appears to be a reaction
    > to sales via eBay.

    i don't understand what issue they have with this... especially if you'll be
    using the routers in a strictly lab only environment. afterall, it's THEIR
    certs we're after, which will make us propogate the use of THEIR products.

    > :seems pretty draconian to me.
    >
    > I don't object in principle, since the license terms have long
    > prohibited transfering the license. But I do personally think that
    > they should make it a lot less expensive.

    or... how about making the software availible in the first place... ;)
    honestly, why are the picking on people who have equipment that doesn't even
    allow for classless ip/subnet pairs?

    if they bitch and moan about 2500's, which are still useful devices, then I
    can understand... but like Phillip said, this equipment is over a decade
    old.

    > :i wouldn't mind shelling out the cash if it was possible to buy the last
    > :version... provided the version allows for VLSM... and from the looks of
    > :it... it doesn't. :/
    >
    > I'm not convinced either way. 10.3 is after the 9.21 that Philip
    > indicated started including VLSM. But I'm not sure that "10.3"
    > is even in the same numbering scheme as the 9.21 that Philip mentioned.

    well this entire investment turned out to be a bitch and a half. :/

    -sameer
    Sameer, Dec 7, 2003