    thanks

    Kamrul

    , Aug 12, 2005

  2. Hi Kamrul,

    You may wish to investigate ordering Cisco Part Number:

    CD-3550-EMI=

    EMI upgrade kit for standard versions of the Catalyst 3550-24, 3550-24
    PWR, 3550-24-DC, 3550-24-FX, and 3550-48 switches, Provides advanced IP
    routing.

    List Price: $1,995.00 USD

    For competitive pricing on the Cisco Enhanced Multilayer Image upgrade
    for 3550 FE models you may wish to contact Reggie Grant directly at:

    Reggie Grant
    U.S. Toll Free: 877-549-2680
    International: 828-277-7272
    Fax: 775-254-3558
    AIM: R2MGrant
    Website: http://www.bradreese.com/reggie-grant.htm

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
    Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
    U.S. Toll Free: 877-549-2680
    International: 828-277-7272

    www.BradReese.Com, Aug 12, 2005

  3. bernhard Guest

    hi,

    you can copy the image "for testting purposes" from the EMI switch to a
    tftp-server..

    and from the tftp server to the SMI switch..

    in a production environment you need to buy the upgrade!

    sincerely,

    Bernhard

    bernhard, Aug 12, 2005
  4. Bernhard and Kamrul,

    Cisco Systems has no policy that allows for the copy of a Catalyst 3550
    Switch EMI image "for testing purposes."

    To do so would be considered "software piracy" and Cisco Systems will
    not allow it.

    There are two software images for the Catalyst 3550 switches - the
    Standard Multilayer Software Image (SMI) and the Enhanced Multilayer
    Software Image (EMI).

    Catalyst 3550 switches that were purchased with the SMI preinstalled
    (WS-C3550-24-SMI, WS-C3550-48-SMI, WS-C3550-24PWR-SMI,
    WS-C3550-24-DC-SMI, and WS-C3550-24-FX-SMI) are only authorized to be
    upgraded to the most recent SMI.

    If an enhancement to the EMI is desired, a software upgrade kit must be
    purchased before an authorized EMI software download.

    The part number for the EMI software upgrade is CD-3550-EMI= .

    If the Catalyst 3550 was purchased with the EMI preinstalled
    (WS-C3550-24-EMI, WS-C3550-48-EMI, and WS-C3550-24PWR-EMI), or
    CD-3550-EMI= has been purchased for the switch, then the downloading of
    the most recent EMI is authorized.

    All Catalyst 3550-12T and 3550-12G switches have been shipped with the
    EMI and are authorized to be upgraded to the most recent EMI.

    Downloads of the SMI and EMI files will be monitored for adherence to
    this authorization.

    http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/message_more.pl?message_no=622&table_type=cat3550&template=content

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    http://www.BradReese.Com

    www.BradReese.Com, Aug 12, 2005
  5. "bernhard" <> writes:
    >you can copy the image "for testting purposes" from the EMI switch to a
    >tftp-server..
    >and from the tftp server to the SMI switch..
    >in a production environment you need to buy the upgrade!

    And you've done this with the 3550 or newer models? You could play
    games like this back in the 3524/2924 days. The newer models have some
    magic cookie files set that you can't touch on the filesystem, and the
    IOS delivered is actually 100% byte-wise the same.

    So, copy the IOS over, you'll still find it the same as before. Buy
    the license, follow its directions, and you'll be all set. There is no
    "student" discount.

    Doug McIntyre, Aug 12, 2005
  6. Bob4japan

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    BradReese is a strange guy that probably works for Cisco. If not he is a very very sensitive new aged guy living at home with mum...
    Individuals try to get ahead, pay for all the hardware themselves, pay for the cisco exams and probably love cisco gear itself.
    But some people like Brad insist that they too, just like big corporations should pay the BIG license fees...
    wake up brad.

    Bob4japan, Dec 24, 2010