    I did call and confirm they received the order. They said they were
    waiting on Telecom for an implementation date.

    .......and waiting.....and waiting........

    s-t-e-v-e, May 11, 2006

  2. s-t-e-v-e

    Chris Hope Guest

    s-t-e-v-e wrote:

    > I ordered one of thse upgrades via Orcon about a month ago.....and
    > have heard nothing from them.
    >
    > I did call and confirm they received the order. They said they were
    > waiting on Telecom for an implementation date.
    >
    > ......and waiting.....and waiting........

    Funny... mine went fairly smoothly, considering I didn't put the correct
    phone number down the first time (we have two numbers here). Try
    calling their 0800 number and go through to the provisioning help desk.
    I've found it to be very responsive and they were very helpful. (I have
    no experience of the normal help desk so can't comment about that).

    Chris Hope, May 11, 2006

  3. s-t-e-v-e

    s-t-e-v-e Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:
    > s-t-e-v-e wrote:
    >

    >>I ordered one of thse upgrades via Orcon about a month ago.....and
    >>have heard nothing from them.
    >>
    >>I did call and confirm they received the order. They said they were
    >>waiting on Telecom for an implementation date.
    >>
    >>......and waiting.....and waiting........

    > Funny... mine went fairly smoothly, considering I didn't put the correct
    > phone number down the first time (we have two numbers here). Try
    > calling their 0800 number and go through to the provisioning help desk.
    > I've found it to be very responsive and they were very helpful. (I have
    > no experience of the normal help desk so can't comment about that).

    Ta. I'll have a go tomorrow.

    I suspect the problem may be that I currently have the 2mb service, but
    only see an actual 1.8mbps download rate as i am 4km from the exchange.

    I wouldn't much care if that remained the same, as long as the upward
    rate was increased to 512k.

    s-t-e-v-e, May 11, 2006
  4. On 11/05/2006 10:29 p.m., s-t-e-v-e wrote:
    > Chris Hope wrote:
    >> s-t-e-v-e wrote:
    >>

    >>> I ordered one of thse upgrades via Orcon about a month ago.....and
    >>> have heard nothing from them.
    >>>
    >>> I did call and confirm they received the order. They said they were
    >>> waiting on Telecom for an implementation date.
    >>>
    >>> ......and waiting.....and waiting........

    >> Funny... mine went fairly smoothly, considering I didn't put the correct
    >> phone number down the first time (we have two numbers here). Try
    >> calling their 0800 number and go through to the provisioning help desk.
    >> I've found it to be very responsive and they were very helpful. (I have
    >> no experience of the normal help desk so can't comment about that).

    > Ta. I'll have a go tomorrow.
    >
    > I suspect the problem may be that I currently have the 2mb service, but
    > only see an actual 1.8mbps download rate as i am 4km from the exchange.
    >
    > I wouldn't much care if that remained the same, as long as the upward
    > rate was increased to 512k.

    Your download rate is entirely irrelevant. It's a config change on the DSLAM at
    your exchange that is required - and 1 month does seem like a long time to be
    waiting. I'm only able to train up at 1.4-1.5 Mbps, and I was changed early on
    in April. I'm only 3.5 km from the Mt. Albert exchange............

    reuben

    Reuben Farrelly, May 12, 2006
  5. s-t-e-v-e

    s.te.v.e. Guest

    Reuben Farrelly wrote:

    > Your download rate is entirely irrelevant. It's a config change on the
    > DSLAM at your exchange that is required - and 1 month does seem like a
    > long time to be
    > waiting. I'm only able to train up at 1.4-1.5 Mbps, and I was changed
    > early on
    > in April. I'm only 3.5 km from the Mt. Albert exchange............

    Interesting......

    The techs did make the point the distance is by line length, not
    proximity.....so a few dog-legs could add a fair bit to the total distance.

    s.te.v.e., May 12, 2006
  6. On 12/05/2006 7:24 p.m., s.te.v.e. wrote:
    > Reuben Farrelly wrote:
    >
    >> Your download rate is entirely irrelevant. It's a config change on the
    >> DSLAM at your exchange that is required - and 1 month does seem like a
    >> long time to be
    >> waiting. I'm only able to train up at 1.4-1.5 Mbps, and I was changed
    >> early on
    >> in April. I'm only 3.5 km from the Mt. Albert exchange............

    > Interesting......
    >
    > The techs did make the point the distance is by line length, not
    > proximity.....so a few dog-legs could add a fair bit to the total distance.

    Absolutely. When I said 3.5km, that was the copper distance, not the walking
    distance ;-) Wises shows the most direct driving distance as 2.5 km.

    The two techs I have had out in the time the line has been in have both said
    that the copper in this area is relatively poor (poor insulation and perhaps a
    few extra joins), and as it all runs past the Mt. Albert shops there are a lot
    of problems with line interference caused by so many other services in the bundles.

    One of the guys thought at the distance I was at I should be able to get 2.5Mbit
    at least, but alas his own tests with his Nokia M1122 showed much the same
    speeds as I am getting with my gear.

    reuben

    Reuben Farrelly, May 14, 2006