    Any suggestion on what might cause it, and how to fix it
    Cheers and thanks

    Dont want to Blow up my HD

    Ockerr, Nov 21, 2004

  2. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Sun,
    21 Nov 2004 17:23:47 +1300, "Ockerr" <> screamed
    from behind the mulberry bush:

    >Hi Guys
    >I have just upgraded from Win98se to Xp pro
    >Now when the Computer starts up and reaches the Desktop window the Hard
    >Drive knocks for about 30 seconds also on shutdown it does the same.
    >Any suggestion on what might cause it, and how to fix it
    >Cheers and thanks
    >
    >Dont want to Blow up my HD

    Use high octane gas.

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Nov 21, 2004

  3. Ockerr

    °Mike° Guest

    Your drive may be about to kick the bucket. Back up
    all of your important data NOW, and go shopping for
    a new hard drive.

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 17:23:47 +1300, in
    <MLUnd.6895$>
    Ockerr scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 21, 2004
  4. Ockerr

    gust Guest

    > Hi Guys
    > I have just upgraded from Win98se to Xp pro
    > Now when the Computer starts up and reaches the Desktop window the Hard
    > Drive knocks for about 30 seconds also on shutdown it does the same.
    > Any suggestion on what might cause it, and how to fix it
    > Cheers and thanks
    >
    > Dont want to Blow up my HD

    knocking hard drive means it is about to die ........... back up your
    important stuff asap and replace it ....... though after you back up your
    important stuff you could try taking out the drive and smacking it not
    too hard but hard enough ... like you would smack an older TV on the side
    to get it working again ..... put it back in and see if it stops knocking

    even if it does, don't use it for anything important because a knocking
    drive is a failing drive and even though a knocker with a slap can once
    in a blue moon last for a good long while .... most don't

    knocking is the only thing a hard drive can say ..... the reasonable
    thing to do is listen and understand .......... :)

    gust, Nov 23, 2004
  5. gust wrote:

    >> I have just upgraded from Win98se to Xp pro Now when the Computer
    >> starts up and reaches the Desktop window the Hard Drive knocks for
    >> about 30 seconds also on shutdown it does the same.

    These symptoms are, respectively, bit pre-ignition and data dieseling,
    and are signs that you are probably using data with a low octane rating.
    The next time you write to disk, try using premium data. It costs a bit
    more, but you'll also get better mouse acceleration; and booting will be
    easier, even in cold weather.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 23, 2004
  6. Ockerr

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    | gust wrote:
    |
    | >> I have just upgraded from Win98se to Xp pro Now when the Computer
    | >> starts up and reaches the Desktop window the Hard Drive knocks for
    | >> about 30 seconds also on shutdown it does the same.
    |
    | These symptoms are, respectively, bit pre-ignition and data dieseling,
    | and are signs that you are probably using data with a low octane rating.
    | The next time you write to disk, try using premium data. It costs a bit
    | more, but you'll also get better mouse acceleration; and booting will be
    | easier, even in cold weather.

    Cute, Blinky <VBG>

    Toolman Tim, Nov 23, 2004
  7. Toolman Tim wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >| These symptoms are, respectively, bit pre-ignition and data dieseling,
    >| and are signs that you are probably using data with a low octane rating.
    >| The next time you write to disk, try using premium data. It costs a bit
    >| more, but you'll also get better mouse acceleration; and booting will be
    >| easier, even in cold weather.

    > Cute, Blinky <VBG>

    Cute? Hey, I'm trying to help the guy! :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 23, 2004
  8. Ockerr

    °Mike° Guest

    <inline>

    On 23 Nov 2004 03:05:49 GMT, in
    <>
    Blinky the Shark scrawled:

    >gust wrote:
    >
    >>> I have just upgraded from Win98se to Xp pro Now when the Computer
    >>> starts up and reaches the Desktop window the Hard Drive knocks for
    >>> about 30 seconds also on shutdown it does the same.

    "gust" never wrote that at all. How about quoting correctly?

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD

    °Mike°, Nov 23, 2004
  9. Ockerr <> wrote at :
    > Hi Guys
    > I have just upgraded from Win98se to Xp pro
    > Now when the Computer starts up and reaches the Desktop window the
    > Hard Drive knocks for about 30 seconds also on shutdown it does the
    > same. Any suggestion on what might cause it, and how to fix it
    > Cheers and thanks
    >
    > Dont want to Blow up my HD

    Are you sure it's your HD and not your floppy drive? I have had this
    knocking happen at boot & shutdown when I've shut down with a floppy in the
    drive and then removed it when the system was down. Try reading a floppy
    and removing it with the system up.

    You might also be set up for floppy seek at boot. If so, try turning it off
    and seeing if it goes away.

    --
    Aingon Atelia

    Poke out my left i before writing.

    Aingon Atelia, Nov 23, 2004
  10. °Mike° wrote:
    ><inline>

    > On 23 Nov 2004 03:05:49 GMT, in
    > <>
    > Blinky the Shark scrawled:

    > "gust" never wrote that at all. How about quoting correctly?

    Yep, my bad. Busted for something I bust others for (albeit generally
    only when I'm the one who's been misattributed). Damn.

    And glad to see your sense of humor is still...oh, no, it's still
    *missing*, isn't it? :) Back into the bin with with you, now.
    <clicketyclick>

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Play Zork: http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/zork1.html

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 23, 2004
  11. Aingon Atelia wrote:

    > Ockerr <> wrote at :

    >> Hi Guys

    >> I have just upgraded from Win98se to Xp pro
    >> Now when the Computer starts up and reaches the Desktop window the
    >> Hard Drive knocks for about 30 seconds also on shutdown it does the
    >> same. Any suggestion on what might cause it, and how to fix it
    >> Cheers and thanks

    >> Dont want to Blow up my HD

    > Are you sure it's your HD and not your floppy drive? I have had this
    > knocking happen at boot & shutdown when I've shut down with a floppy in the
    > drive and then removed it when the system was down. Try reading a floppy
    > and removing it with the system up.

    Might also be bloat shock from installing XP. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 23, 2004
  12. Ockerr

    °Mike° Guest

    On 23 Nov 2004 06:42:33 GMT, in
    <>
    Blinky the Shark scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >><inline>

    >> On 23 Nov 2004 03:05:49 GMT, in
    >> <>
    >> Blinky the Shark scrawled:

    >> "gust" never wrote that at all. How about quoting correctly?

    >Yep, my bad. Busted for something I bust others for (albeit generally
    >only when I'm the one who's been misattributed).

    So, that makes a difference, does it? Also, it's not the first
    time that you have misquoted others -- you should know better.

    >Damn.
    >
    >And glad to see your sense of humor is still...oh, no, it's still
    >*missing*, isn't it? :) Back into the bin with with you, now.

    Well, there's a classic case of "I can dish it, but can't take it",
    if ever I saw one. Shark? SHARK!? That's more like the
    temper tantrum sounds of Mud Skipper fins stamping, IMO.
    What were you saying about a sense of humour?

    Grumpy old sea slug.

    ><clicketyclick>

    Yeah, right!

    <snip>