Upgraded to IE 7

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jenn, Mar 6, 2010.

  1. Jenn

    Jenn Guest

    I recently upgraded from IE6 to IE7 and now if I go to View > Source Code I
    get this error:

    Windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe'. Make sure you typed
    the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the
    Start button, and then click Search.

    Well.. I looked in that folder and sure enough no notepad.exe if there
    because notepad is located at 'C:\WINDOWS, but I have 2 copies of it there..
    one is notepad.exe and the other is misspelled as notpad.exe. When I
    mouseover the misspelled copy it shows the tooltip as being notepad.exe.

    If I move the mispelled copy over to 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ and correct the
    spelling, will that fix the problem? I don't usually mess with moving files
    into the system32 folder and I'm not familiar with it enough to know if I'd
    mess something up.

    Notepad.exe is still on my programs > accessories list and I don't want to
    mess that up either.

    --
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Jenn, Mar 6, 2010

  2. Jenn wrote:

    > Well.. I looked in that folder and sure enough no notepad.exe if there
    > because notepad is located at 'C:\WINDOWS, but I have 2 copies of it
    > there.. one is notepad.exe and the other is misspelled as notpad.exe.
    > When I mouseover the misspelled copy it shows the tooltip as being
    > notepad.exe.

    ...and the Number One result for Google Search for "notpad.exe" is:

    http://www.greatis.com/appdata/d/n/notpad.exe.htm

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 6, 2010

  3. Jenn

    Dan C Guest

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 21:19:19 -0600, Jenn wrote:

    > I recently upgraded from IE6 to IE7 and now if I go to View > Source
    > Code I get this error:
    >
    > Windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe'. Make sure you
    > typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file,
    > click the Start button, and then click Search.
    >
    > Well.. I looked in that folder and sure enough no notepad.exe if there
    > because notepad is located at 'C:\WINDOWS, but I have 2 copies of it
    > there.. one is notepad.exe and the other is misspelled as notpad.exe.
    > When I mouseover the misspelled copy it shows the tooltip as being
    > notepad.exe.
    >
    > If I move the mispelled copy over to 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ and correct
    > the spelling, will that fix the problem? I don't usually mess with
    > moving files into the system32 folder and I'm not familiar with it
    > enough to know if I'd mess something up.
    >
    > Notepad.exe is still on my programs > accessories list and I don't want
    > to mess that up either.

    Jesus, you're fucking stupid.

    Format your fucking hard drive, and take up a hobby you are capable of.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he tossed the bloody glove behind Kato's house.
    Dan C, Mar 6, 2010
  4. Jenn

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 21:19:19 -0600, Jenn wrote:

    > I recently upgraded from IE6 to IE7 and now if I go to View > Source
    > Code I get this error:

    Let's do the time-warp again.

    You do realise that the current version of IE is v8?

    --
    "I can tell you how to become a millionaire in as much time as it takes
    a woman to have a baby. One catch: the nine-month plan ends in a funeral."
    Aardvark, Mar 6, 2010
  5. Jenn

    Mike Easter Guest

    Aardvark wrote:
    > Jenn wrote:
    >
    >> I recently upgraded from IE6 to IE7

    > You do realise that the current version of IE is v8?

    There are overwhelming reasons to use something other than IE6.

    The business of whether it should be IE7 or IE8 is an interesting
    discussion. The wikipedia has a nice section on some considerations.

    IMO... If a person is principally using something other than IE, such as
    Fx or Chrome, then they only use IE for the sake of compatibility with
    some sites which are written so poorly that they require a specific
    browser IE, then the upgrade from IE6 should be to IE7 not IE8.

    IE7 is more compatible with such 'backward' sites than IE8.

    If a person is using IE as their 'principle' browser instead of such as
    Fx or Chrome or Opera or Iron or whatever, then they should probably go
    directly to IE8 instead of IE7, because IE8 has some few modernization
    advantages over IE7.

    But, I think using IE as the principle browser isn't normally a very
    good idea.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 6, 2010
  6. Jenn

    Jenn Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Aardvark wrote:
    >> Jenn wrote:
    >>
    >>> I recently upgraded from IE6 to IE7

    >> You do realise that the current version of IE is v8?

    > There are overwhelming reasons to use something other than IE6.
    >
    > The business of whether it should be IE7 or IE8 is an interesting
    > discussion. The wikipedia has a nice section on some considerations.
    >
    > IMO... If a person is principally using something other than IE, such
    > as Fx or Chrome, then they only use IE for the sake of compatibility
    > with some sites which are written so poorly that they require a
    > specific browser IE, then the upgrade from IE6 should be to IE7 not
    > IE8.
    > IE7 is more compatible with such 'backward' sites than IE8.
    >
    > If a person is using IE as their 'principle' browser instead of such
    > as Fx or Chrome or Opera or Iron or whatever, then they should
    > probably go directly to IE8 instead of IE7, because IE8 has some few
    > modernization advantages over IE7.
    >
    > But, I think using IE as the principle browser isn't normally a very
    > good idea.

    I'm a webmaster and as part of my job I have
    to test the sites I create in multiple browsers that viewers of those
    websites may be using, and IE6 was one of those browsers, plus IE7, and also
    Firefox. Recently, IE6 has dropped from the "most used" list, however, IE8
    is not exactly stable and is still causing many issues for people
    sporadically. Additionally, our network engineers advised us not to
    download IE8 until they advised us otherwise... therefore, the best choice
    was to upgrade to IE7 as the main IE version for testing right now. I still
    test
    in Firefox, too.

    I was just hoping for an answer to my question about the Notepad issue.

    --
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Jenn, Mar 6, 2010
  7. Jenn

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 10:28:29 -0600, Jenn wrote:

    > I was just hoping for an answer to my question about the Notepad issue.

    You could always try what you first suggested. If it doesn't work, all you
    have to do is reverse the process and try something else.

    Aardvark, Mar 6, 2010
  8. Jenn

    Jenn Guest

    Aardvark wrote:
    > On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 10:28:29 -0600, Jenn wrote:
    >
    >> I was just hoping for an answer to my question about the Notepad
    >> issue.

    > You could always try what you first suggested. If it doesn't work,
    > all you have to do is reverse the process and try something else.

    thanks .. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't the wrong thing to do.

    --
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Jenn, Mar 6, 2010
  9. Evan Platt wrote:

    > "Jenn" <> wrote:
    >> I was just hoping for an answer to my question about the Notepad
    >> issue.

    > Did you see the reply From: "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> ?

    I guess "not yet." <g> Thanks for reminding her to look.

    The only references I ever remember reading about "notpad.exe" is that
    it's a malicious something-or-other.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 6, 2010
  10. Jenn

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Mike Easter <> writes and having writ moves on.
    > IMO... If a person is principally using something other than IE, such as
    > Fx or Chrome, then they only use IE for the sake of compatibility with
    > some sites which are written so poorly that they require a specific
    > browser IE, then the upgrade from IE6 should be to IE7 not IE8.

    The proper response to such a site is to leave immediately and
    slam the door hard enough to knock the asshat off the designer's
    head.

    Mike "then use a proper browser" Yetto
    In practice they are not.
    Mike Yetto, Mar 6, 2010
  11. Jenn

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Jenn <> writes and having writ moves on.
    > Aardvark wrote:
    >> On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 10:28:29 -0600, Jenn wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was just hoping for an answer to my question about the Notepad
    >>> issue.

    >> You could always try what you first suggested. If it doesn't work,
    >> all you have to do is reverse the process and try something else.

    > thanks .. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't the wrong thing to do.

    That is the wrong thing to do, but only because notpad.exe is a
    malicious file. You could copy notepad.exe to that directory, or
    even a more useable text editor that takes the same command line
    arguments. The rename your more favored editor notepad.exe.

    Mike "or use a symbolic link (wait, you're using Windows)" Yetto
    In practice they are not.
    Mike Yetto, Mar 6, 2010
  12. First does the icon for notepad.exe look like a notepad? if so "copy" not
    move that over to the system32 folder. Delete the notpad file. then update
    your antivirus software and antimalware application and do a complete scan
    with both.

    your time.

    The Real Truth MVP, Mar 6, 2010
  13. Jenn

    my Guest

    LOL
    Some web master, loaded up with Trojans.

    "Jenn" <> wrote in message
    JerryD(upstateNY) wrote:
    > IE8 came out almost a year ago and Jenn is just now updating to IE7,
    > which came out in 2006.
    > hahahahahahaha
    >
    > If she would stop trying to mind everyone else's business and mind
    > her own, she might get up
    > to speed on her updates.

    In case you weren't aware ... I'm a webmaster and as part of my job I have
    to test the sites I create in multiple browsers that viewers of those
    websites may be using, and IE6 was one of those browsers, plus IE7, and also
    Firefox. Recently, IE6 has dropped from the "most used" list, however, IE8
    is not exactly stable and is still causing many issues for people
    sporadically. Additionally, our network engineers advised us not to
    download IE8 until they advised us otherwise... therefore, the best choice
    was to upgrade to IE7.

    Jerry ... perhaps if you would quit jumping to conclusions about who I am,
    and would stop being so easily irritated about anything and everything I
    have to say, you'd find that many of your assumptions were incorrect. I
    have no beef with you and never have, so I really don't understand why you
    are so hostile unless you're the type of person to take up someone elses
    offence, and if you are, that just means you're too lazy and weak-minded to
    get to know people for yourself. If that be the case... that's just too bad
    for you.

    --
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)

    "Bullwinkle" <> wrote in message
    Some people try to act smart but are just stupid as all get out.

    Trojan Alert....LMAO

    my, Mar 7, 2010
  14. Jenn

    SeaNymph Guest

    Seems to me that any "webmaster" worh their salt would know that Internet
    Exploder is a non comformant web browser. That means, of coure, that one
    building a website must insert hacks into the site to get it to display
    properly in IE. <g>

    SeaNymph, Mar 7, 2010
  15. Jenn

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 10:43:46 -0500, SeaNymph wrote:

    > Seems to me that any "webmaster" worh their salt would know that
    > Internet Exploder is a non comformant web browser.

    Of course. They would also be aware that, like it or not, IE is likely to
    be the most commonly-used browser. Build a commercial website that doesn't
    pander to the foibles of various versions of IE and the web designer is
    likely to (a) lose their client potential sales and (b) lose their job

    See the following:

    < http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php >

    Happily, more standards-conforming browsers are making headway in the
    usage stakes, but until they gain the greater 'market' share, it's
    sensible for web designers to do their work with IE versions mainly in
    mind, all other browsers taking somewhat of a back seat.

    The owners/operators of commercial sites don't give a shit about coding
    standards, they only give a shit about making money. If their web
    designers make sites that, although standards-conforming, are less
    lucrative than is possible because they don't render correctly in the most
    commonly-used browser, it'll be bye-bye old web designer, hello new web
    designer.

    Sad (and somewhat annoying), but true.

    > That means, of
    > coure, that one building a website must insert hacks into the site to
    > get it to display properly in IE. <g>

    You worked that out all by yourself?

    Aardvark, Mar 7, 2010
  16. Jenn

    Jenn Guest

    Mike Yetto wrote:
    > Jenn <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >> Aardvark wrote:

    >>> You could always try what you first suggested. If it doesn't work,
    >>> all you have to do is reverse the process and try something else.

    >> thanks .. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't the wrong thing to do.
    >>

    > That is the wrong thing to do, but only because notpad.exe is a
    > malicious file. You could copy notepad.exe to that directory, or
    > even a more useable text editor that takes the same command line
    > arguments. The rename your more favored editor notepad.exe.
    >
    > Mike "or use a symbolic link (wait, you're using Windows)" Yetto

    Thanks for the info everyone... it's all working now.

    --
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Jenn, Mar 7, 2010
  17. Jenn

    Jenn Guest

    Aardvark wrote:
    > On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 10:43:46 -0500, SeaNymph wrote:
    >
    >> Seems to me that any "webmaster" worh their salt would know that
    >> Internet Exploder is a non comformant web browser.

    > Of course. They would also be aware that, like it or not, IE is
    > likely to be the most commonly-used browser. Build a commercial
    > website that doesn't pander to the foibles of various versions of IE
    > and the web designer is likely to (a) lose their client potential
    > sales and (b) lose their job

    You should hear them complain, too! Some of the computers of management
    still had some older systems running on them plus running IE6 because those
    systems couldn't be upgraded to IE7. My pc is one of the most up to date
    ones in the entire office (since I need it to be) and if the pages rendered
    properly in every browser I could test in, and didn't render right in the
    managements browsers.. it was WHINE WHINE WHINE!! FIX it! I could tell them
    100 times a day it is YOUR BROWSER! but they still whinned ... Thanks be to
    the company for finally upgrading their systems and now I don't have to
    worry about coding for IE6 anymore! ha! Now it's code for FF and IE7 is
    what they want. They sign my checks, so that's what I will do! LOL

    > See the following:
    >
    > < http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php >
    >
    > Happily, more standards-conforming browsers are making headway in the
    > usage stakes, but until they gain the greater 'market' share, it's
    > sensible for web designers to do their work with IE versions mainly in
    > mind, all other browsers taking somewhat of a back seat.

    oh gosh .. that market share... I sort of doubled it for them the first 6
    months I was there, and it's been increasing on a monthly basis since. I
    love to see the numbers go up every month.

    > The owners/operators of commercial sites don't give a shit about
    > coding standards, they only give a shit about making money. If their
    > web designers make sites that, although standards-conforming, are less
    > lucrative than is possible because they don't render correctly in the
    > most commonly-used browser, it'll be bye-bye old web designer, hello
    > new web designer.
    >
    > Sad (and somewhat annoying), but true.

    yep! (give them what they want because they write the checks!)

    >> That means, of
    >> coure, that one building a website must insert hacks into the site to
    >> get it to display properly in IE. <g>

    > You worked that out all by yourself?

    hahaahaha I love my job! Not many people get to do what they love to do
    for a living.

    --
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Jenn, Mar 7, 2010
  18. Jenn

    SeaNymph Guest

    It's all fundamental. Complaining about those that use exploder it
    pointless, since there are many that can't get beyond it.

    SeaNymph, Mar 7, 2010
  19. Jenn

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 12:21:22 -0500, SeaNymph wrote:

    > "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 10:43:46 -0500, SeaNymph wrote:
    >>

    >> The owners/operators of commercial sites don't give a shit about coding
    >> standards, they only give a shit about making money. If their web
    >> designers make sites that, although standards-conforming, are less
    >> lucrative than is possible because they don't render correctly in the
    >> most commonly-used browser, it'll be bye-bye old web designer, hello
    >> new web designer.
    >>

    > It's all fundamental. Complaining about those that use exploder it
    > pointless, since there are many that can't get beyond it.

    Thus it's still, for the moment, essential that web designers build sites
    mainly for IE.

    Didn't I just say that?

    Aardvark, Mar 7, 2010
  20. Jenn

    SeaNymph Guest

    Actually, I don't think you're correct. Many website builders simply put
    the hacks in their site required for IE to display the site properly. From
    what I understand, including the hacks isn't that big a deal for a good site
    builder. Also, many site builders don't like IE, so that's all they do.

    SeaNymph, Mar 7, 2010