    upgrades get better in your opinion, or do they only render cheaper
    solutions and fluttering buttons?

    Morgan O.

    Morgan Ohlson, Aug 31, 2003

  2. Morgan Ohlson

    shakewell Guest

    "Morgan Ohlson" <> wrote:
    > 1a. Would you believe the Canon A80 will be a "better camera" compared to
    > A70?

    Yep.

    > 1b. Will all aXX-clones have flip-LCD in future?

    Canon knows.

    > Naturally the resolution improves, but how about the rest... Does the
    > upgrades get better in your opinion, or do they only render cheaper
    > solutions and fluttering buttons?

    I think you answered you own question. Most people would find the inclusion
    of a 'flip-LCD' as a useful and worthwhile feature. Do a search to compare
    the features of A80 with the A70 - you'll find other (better) differences.

    F=_
    --
    People that worry about the past are still living there.

    shakewell, Aug 31, 2003

  3. Morgan Ohlson

    DHB Guest

    The A80's swivel LCD is a very nice feature that I wish my A70 had but
    compare the A70 & A80 SPECs carefully. You will see that the A80 only
    supports a maximum of 320x240 in video mode where the A70 offers a 640x480
    mode. Yes the 640x480 is limited to only 30s @ 15fps as I recall but it can
    be long enough to capture candid full screen videos. Also the A80 has a bit
    more telephoto but less wide angle which may be important to people planning
    on taking lots of groups indoor pictures is small rooms.

    If this feature is not important to you than the A80 is a better way to
    go & from what I have seen thus far it seems to favor the reds which can be
    a plus if the main use of the camera will be taking pictures of people. I
    also own a G2 with it's swivel LCD which I like a lot but my A70 makes for a
    relatively small, good quality everyday camera for point-n-shoot but it also
    offers lots of manual options if I want to use them.

    Not at all tempted to buy an A80 because I don't feel it's that much of
    an improvement over my A70, however if I only had an A40 or lesser camera I
    would likely go for the A80 over the A70 as my everyday camera.

    This is just my opinion, hope it's helpful.

    DHB

    DHB, Aug 31, 2003
  4. Morgan Ohlson

    Zol. Guest

    "DHB" <> wrote in message
    > The A80's swivel LCD is a very nice feature that I wish my A70 had but
    > compare the A70 & A80 SPECs carefully. You will see that the A80 only
    > supports a maximum of 320x240 in video mode where the A70 offers a 640x480
    > mode. Yes the 640x480 is limited to only 30s @ 15fps as I recall but it

    can
    > be long enough to capture candid full screen videos. Also the A80 has a

    bit
    > more telephoto but less wide angle which may be important to people

    planning
    > on taking lots of groups indoor pictures is small rooms.

    Just for your info(might find it useful) You can record a lot more video by
    going down to 320x240 mode on the A70 - I think it`s a bout 2 1/2 minutes
    worth if neccesary which is the same format size as VCD Video ... Zol.

    Zol., Aug 31, 2003
  5. Morgan Ohlson

    DHB Guest

    "Zol." <Zol.@The_End_of_The_World.com> wrote in message

    > Just for your info(might find it useful) You can record a lot more video

    by
    > going down to 320x240 mode on the A70 - I think it`s a bout 2 1/2 minutes
    > worth if neccesary which is the same format size as VCD Video ... Zol.

    Zol,
    as usual you are correct & I was aware of the added time with
    the lower res. video but I do like using the 640x480 mode & then showing
    what I semi-covertly captured to family & friends on their TV. The reason I
    say "semi-covertly" is because I make no attempt to hide my camera but most
    people either don't know of forget that many digital cameras now have a
    video function.

    They see me aiming my camera but figure I am just taking still pictures
    or not taking any if they don't see the flash firing. In time most people
    will expect the possibility of being captured on video from a digital still
    camera but while this fun window remains, I will enjoy these special
    opportunities for taking candid videos. The reason I share it right away is
    so that we can all enjoy them & so that they will know that the capability
    exists.

    Being an avid Canon digital camera fan, I must admit being very tempted
    by Sony's new 8MP DSC-F828 that should be available before the end of the
    year. This will be Sony's 1st digital camera with a CF card slot in
    addition to their proprietary MS/MS PRO memory storage. Maybe Santa will
    get me 1, well I can hope anyway!

    DHB

    DHB, Aug 31, 2003
  6. Morgan Ohlson

    Nick Hopton Guest

    In a recent message
    <JPo4b.10510$>, DHB
    <> wrote.

    [...]
    > Not at all tempted to buy an A80 because I don't feel it's that much of
    >an improvement over my A70, however if I only had an A40 or lesser camera I
    >would likely go for the A80 over the A70 as my everyday camera.

    [...]

    This is pretty much what I feel too. The point is that the A70 and the
    A80 are pitched at different parts of the market. Looked at it in that
    light, the A80 is no 'better' than the A70. In my case, the A70 is a
    'better' camera than the A80 because it is better fitted to my purposes.

    I wouldn't have thought it was ever intended that the A80 would make the
    A70 obsolete, it's just that manufacturers like to have a model in every
    range.

    Regards,
    Nick.

    --
    Nick Hopton and Anne Hopton
    Caversham, Reading, England

    Nick Hopton, Sep 1, 2003
  7. Morgan Ohlson

    DH Guest

    In article <D92sSgKiz1U$>,
    Nick Hopton <> wrote:

    > > Not at all tempted to buy an A80 because I don't feel it's that much of
    > >an improvement over my A70, however if I only had an A40 or lesser camera I
    > >would likely go for the A80 over the A70 as my everyday camera.

    > [...]

    They compromised the wide angle capabilities on the A80 vs. the A70.

    DH, Sep 1, 2003