Upgraded board and Hard drive on my dell - reinstallation disk failed

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ssmith2@austin.rr.com, Feb 5, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I just upgarded my old Dell pc with a new motherboard, chip, and hard
    drive. I had a reinstallation CD disk and tried a quick format and
    reinstall of Windows XP. Only thing I noticed not typical during
    install was that it does not ask me for product key during install.
    Once loaded and pc starts and boots past Bios it pauses gives me "boot
    from CD?" and no matter what I do it will reboot or go into run set up
    again by it booting from CD.

    I took a full copy of my other xp pro I had purchased and installed on
    my other home pc. It installs properly on the new machine and runs the
    pc properly. The problem there of course is I have only the 30 days
    because it is registered on my other pc. BUT, it proved to me that
    there is nothing wrong with my pc, hardware etc.

    Is there something in particular to be done to get this to load and run
    properly?

    What to do?

    Steve
    , Feb 5, 2006

  2. Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    spewed forth:
    > I just upgarded my old Dell pc with a new motherboard, chip, and hard
    > drive. I had a reinstallation CD disk and tried a quick format and
    > reinstall of Windows XP. Only thing I noticed not typical during
    > install was that it does not ask me for product key during install.
    > Once loaded and pc starts and boots past Bios it pauses gives me "boot
    > from CD?" and no matter what I do it will reboot or go into run set up
    > again by it booting from CD.
    >
    > I took a full copy of my other xp pro I had purchased and installed on
    > my other home pc. It installs properly on the new machine and runs
    > the pc properly. The problem there of course is I have only the 30
    > days because it is registered on my other pc. BUT, it proved to me
    > that there is nothing wrong with my pc, hardware etc.
    >
    > Is there something in particular to be done to get this to load and
    > run properly?

    Did you put a DELL motherboard in? If not, the Dell reinstallation CD is not
    going to install correctly. It's "branded" for use only with a Dell
    "tatooed" motherboard.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 5, 2006