    Is it best to buy from PC World etc or have a system custom built from a
    trusted computer shop.

    Steve

    Mr Pounder, Apr 29, 2007

  2. Mr Pounder

    meerkat Guest

    "Mr Pounder" <Mr > wrote in message
    news:lY6Zh.8904$...
    >I intend to upgrade next week & spend about £1000.
    > My mouse is the only thing that I will be keeping.
    >
    > Is it best to buy from PC World etc or have a system custom built from a
    > trusted computer shop.

    First. Custom built.

    Second. Not PC World.

    They are only box pushers.

    meerkat, Apr 29, 2007

  3. Mr Pounder

    WhzzKdd Guest

    >I intend to upgrade next week & spend about £1000.
    > My mouse is the only thing that I will be keeping.
    >
    > Is it best to buy from PC World etc or have a system custom built from a
    > trusted computer shop.

    That depends on just how trusted that shop is. Keep in mind that they will
    mark up the prices of the components. You could probably get the parts and
    put it together yourself - it's not rocket science - and get more for your
    money.

    At work, we buy name brand PCs. We don't want to have to rely on a local
    shop for assistance if there is a problem. We used to do that, and it was
    often several days to get anything fixed.

    WhzzKdd, Apr 29, 2007
  4. Mr Pounder

    Guest

    On Apr 29, 4:09 pm, "Mr Pounder" <Mr >
    wrote:
    > I intend to upgrade next week & spend about £1000.
    > My mouse is the only thing that I will be keeping.
    >
    > Is it best to buy from PC World etc or have a system custom built from a
    > trusted computer shop.
    >
    > Steve

    try to visit my site before you buy a new computer www.jayson23p.juvio.com

    , Apr 29, 2007
  5. Mr Pounder

    thanatoid Guest

    "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in

    > "Mr Pounder" <Mr > wrote in
    > message
    >>I intend to upgrade next week & spend about £1000.
    >> My mouse is the only thing that I will be keeping.
    >>
    >> Is it best to buy from PC World etc or have a system
    >> custom built from a trusted computer shop.
    >>

    > That depends on just how trusted that shop is. Keep in mind
    > that they will mark up the prices of the components.

    I have noticed I usually agree with you, but do you think they
    mark up more than brand name manufacturers? And that they use
    even crappier components?

    > You
    > could probably get the parts and put it together yourself -
    > it's not rocket science - and get more for your money.

    No doubt, but someone asking the OP's question is probably not
    capable of doing this.

    > At work, we buy name brand PCs. We don't want to have to
    > rely on a local shop for assistance if there is a problem.
    > We used to do that, and it was often several days to get
    > anything fixed.

    As opposed to weeks or months of phone calls and emails between
    you and someone outsorced for $5/day on the other side of the
    world by a "top-rated brand name".

    OP: Custom built. Tell them EXACTLY what you want and DON'T
    want, get three prices from three shops and go with the one
    which "feels" best overall and is not too far - you WILL need
    service.

    Get ALL boxes and OEM manuals and documentation.

    Don't get Vista unless you enjoy MAJOR suffering.

    While I have NO idea what you now have, if the mouse is still
    working OK, I would BET you should just keep your entire setup.
    I'm sure it works fine. Is there anything you MUST do that you
    can NOT do NOW? You will gain nothing but headaches from your
    intended "upgrade".

    thanatoid, Apr 29, 2007
  6. Mr Pounder

    dadiOH Guest

    Mr Pounder wrote:
    > I intend to upgrade next week & spend about £1000.
    > My mouse is the only thing that I will be keeping.
    >
    > Is it best to buy from PC World etc or have a system custom built
    > from a trusted computer shop.

    Custom. If you know what you want. If you buy a brand name you may
    well (probably will) be locked into proprietary parts/soft.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Apr 29, 2007
  7. wrote:

    > try to visit my site before you buy a new computer
    > www.spam.spam.com

    Nothing there about purchasing a computer...

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 29, 2007
  8. Mr Pounder

    philo Guest

    > I intend to upgrade next week & spend about £1000.
    > My mouse is the only thing that I will be keeping.
    >
    > Is it best to buy from PC World etc or have a system custom built from a
    > trusted computer shop.
    >
    > Steve

    I'd go for the custom build...
    if you want to save some money...in addition to re-using the mouse...
    you may want to consider also re-using the mouse pad too.
    (Of course if you go with Vista...drivers may not yet be available.) <G>

    philo, Apr 29, 2007
  9. Mr Pounder

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    WhzzKdd wrote:
    > "Mr Pounder" <Mr > wrote in message
    >> I intend to upgrade next week & spend about £1000.
    >> My mouse is the only thing that I will be keeping.
    >>
    >> Is it best to buy from PC World etc or have a system custom built from a
    >> trusted computer shop.
    >>

    > That depends on just how trusted that shop is.

    Then choose one that is a member of a trade association and has a code
    of conduct:- http://www.pcassociation.org/

    > Keep in mind that they will
    > mark up the prices of the components.

    Its called making a profit. Pays the bills, wages and allows companies
    to train their staff so they know what they are talking about.

    > You could probably get the parts and
    > put it together yourself - it's not rocket science - and get more for your
    > money.

    Not every can or even wants to DIY.

    > At work, we buy name brand PCs. We don't want to have to rely on a local
    > shop for assistance if there is a problem. We used to do that, and it was
    > often several days to get anything fixed.

    Bad shop. See my first comment. We generally respond the same day to our
    local clients.

    Desk Rabbit, Apr 30, 2007
  10. Mr Pounder

    Mr Pounder Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    > "Mr Pounder" <Mr > wrote in message
    > > I intend to upgrade next week & spend about £1000.
    > > My mouse is the only thing that I will be keeping.
    > >
    > > Is it best to buy from PC World etc or have a system custom built from a
    > > trusted computer shop.
    > >
    > > Steve
    > >

    > I'd go for the custom build...
    > if you want to save some money...in addition to re-using the mouse...
    > you may want to consider also re-using the mouse pad too.
    > (Of course if you go with Vista...drivers may not yet be available.) <G>

    Thank you gentlemen.
    I used to be indecisive, now I am not too sure.

    Steve

    Mr Pounder, Apr 30, 2007
  11. Mr Pounder wrote:

    > I used to be indecisive, now I am not too sure.

    When I get around to it I'm going to join Procrastinators International.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, May 1, 2007