    Simpledog Guest

    P4/3.4/2gig DDR/6800GS machine on XP Pro

    Time to upgrade to Vista and the new Core2 machines?
    Simpledog, Jan 6, 2007

  2. Simpledog

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 06:15:06 +0000, Simpledog wrote:

    > P4/3.4/2gig DDR/6800GS machine on XP Pro
    >
    > Time to upgrade to Vista and the new Core2 machines?

    If you've got a spare $2,000 (US) laying around.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Jan 6, 2007

  3. Simpledog

    bmoag Guest

    An upgrade will run PS somewhat, but not earth shakingly, faster, if you
    stay with XP.
    An upgrade to Vista will slow every machine: Vista is slower, the Aero
    interface eats CPU cycles for nothing, security is no better than XP (holes
    in Vista have already been identified and the OS is not even in wide
    release!) and the interface changes are arbitrary and pointless. The worst
    thing is that background processes require constant user approval without an
    explanation of what you are approving. Microsoft can now say it is your
    fault if something goes awry and not their securitylessness.
    As an additional bonus Vista will probably make some of your peripherals
    obsolete because most manufacturers still have not announced legacy driver
    support. If your monitor calibration device is more than a year old you are
    likely out of luck.
    I have the beta Vista versions. When magazines, whose advertising depends on
    Microsoft, write about how wonderful Vista is they are lying: how can they
    evaluate use of the OS when their are no drivers for the vast majority of
    printers, scanners, calibration devices, etc? Vista is also incompatible
    with many mainstream multimedia applications and some raw converters. How
    can one objectively evaluateVista under these circumstances? Every magazine
    review touting Vista usability is a bald faced lie.
    Be aware that if you upgrade to Vista, rather than installing it as a second
    OS in a dual boot system, it will destroy your XP installation. There is no
    rollback feature.
    Until Microsoft forces users to upgrade, and they will over a few years,
    there is no compelling reason to switch to Vista.
    bmoag, Jan 6, 2007
  4. Simpledog

    Simpledog Guest

    I primarily use the machine for web access, email, and games. For me, it's
    the allure of DirectX 10 - as the DirectX 10 won't be available to XP.

    Simpledog, Jan 6, 2007
  5. Simpledog

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 20:56:54 +0000, Simpledog wrote:

    > I primarily use the machine for web access, email, and games. For me, it's
    > the allure of DirectX 10 - as the DirectX 10 won't be available to XP.

    And that's worth $2,000 ? Must be in a diferent tax bracket then I am,
    but, hey, that's what keeps the economy going.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Jan 7, 2007