    I've noted that 2003 x64 needs a full resintall.

    Cheers,
    AndyC

    Andrew Clancy, Jun 11, 2005

  2. Andrew Clancy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'd like to upgrade my Window XP Home to XP Pro x64 - can I do this directly
    > (over my existing install) or would I need to format & reinstall from
    > scratch?

    You'll need to perform a format and clean installation, unless you want
    a dual-boot scenario. WinXPx64 is an OEM version, so it cannot perform
    upgrades. (And even if it were a retail product, I seriously doubt that
    there'd be any supported upgrade path from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS.
    Look at the messes caused by upgrading the earlier 16-bit versions of
    Windows to 32-bit versions. Probably not a mistake Microsoft would want
    to repeat.)

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Jun 11, 2005

  3. Andrew Clancy

    John Barnes Guest

    You will need to do the full install. I personally suggest you dual boot
    until you are sure the programs you need/want to use will work on x64, as
    well as the driver situation for your hardware. I have lots of programs
    which install but don't work or have functions missing and still need
    drivers for hardware, with no indication as to when they will become
    available. If you find everything is fine for you, you can then uninstall
    and clean the x86 partition. Good luck.

    John Barnes, Jun 11, 2005
  4. Full, clean install. And that's true from any 32-bit version of Windows. If
    you have any doubts about drivers, etc., you may want to use a dual boot
    configuration initially. Especially since any BIOS updates generally need to
    be installed from 32-bit Windows. The OEMs haven't caught up to the need for
    BIOS updates from x64 yet.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 11, 2005
  5. There is not upgrade path from 32 bit Windows which would include XP Home
    Edition. Its a clean install which means you have to boot off the XP CD-ROM
    and do a clean install or create a new partition to install it on. Either
    way, back up your data before attempting to do so. And remember to set your
    BIOS to boot off your CD-Drive.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 11, 2005
  6. Cool - thanks for your help guys. Wil upgrade to XP Pro then try a dual
    install on 2003 xp when I get some spare time (and split my drive as it came
    as 1 partition)

    Cheers,
    AC

    Andrew Clancy, Jun 12, 2005
  7. oops 2003 x64 I meant
    AC

    Andrew Clancy, Jun 12, 2005
  8. Yes, I should have said XP Pro x64 in my post.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 12, 2005
  9. Im going 2003 x64, as - why not? its gonna work the same as Pro, right, but
    Server SQL & IIS will be a benefit - even for developing.
    AC

    Andrew Clancy, Jun 12, 2005
  10. There is some issues with the Jet Database and XP Pro x64 but.
    Also read this post by Justin Lovell about his experience with IIS on XP Pro
    x64:
    http://dotnet.org.za/justin/archive/2005/05/01/19291.aspx

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 12, 2005
  11. Andrew Clancy

    Peter Foldes Guest

    Do you have the necessary hardware,Mobo,CPU to support a x64 install ?

    --
    Peter

    Peter Foldes, Jun 12, 2005