    who wants this done, and I really don't work with XP that much and I have
    really no clue if this can be done or not. Does anyone know?

    Chris
    V, Oct 7, 2003

  2. V

    Boomer Guest

    V wrote:

    > Can you upgrade XP Home to XP Pro from a FULL XP Pro cd? I have
    > a client who wants this done, and I really don't work with XP
    > that much and I have really no clue if this can be done or not.
    > Does anyone know?
    >

    > Chris

    Hi

    Microsoft KB 316941 - HOW TO: Install Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316941
    and KB 286463
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;286463

    Or
    Search MS Knowledge Base
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

    Or use MS Google search
    http://www.google.com/microsoft.html

    Or usenet archives

    Or a Windows newsgroup.

    HTH
    Boomer, Oct 7, 2003

  3. V

    V Guest

    > > Can you upgrade XP Home to XP Pro from a FULL XP Pro cd? I have
    > > a client who wants this done, and I really don't work with XP
    > > that much and I have really no clue if this can be done or not.
    > > Does anyone know?
    > >

    > > Chris

    > Hi
    >
    > Microsoft KB 316941 - HOW TO: Install Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316941

    Upgrading to Windows XP
    This section describes an upgrade to Windows XP from Microsoft Windows 98,
    Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), and Microsoft Windows 2000
    Professional

    That doesn't help me with my question.

    > and KB 286463

    During an upgrade, the Windows XP Setup Wizard replaces existing Windows
    files but preserves your existing settings and applications. Some
    applications might not be compatible with Windows XP Professional and
    therefore might not function properly after an upgrade. You can upgrade to
    Windows XP Professional from the following operating systems:

    * Windows 98 (all versions)
    * Windows Millennium Edition
    * Windows NT 4.0 Workstation (Service Pack 6 and later)
    * Windows 2000 Professional (including service packs)
    * Windows XP Home Edition

    That answers my question.

    Was just a simple question, and I've allready done a quick search via google
    for the answer. If I had all day to play around I could find it, but when
    you are busy its easier to ask. Usually I get nice answers from this ng.

    V, Oct 7, 2003
  4. V

    Ron Martell Guest

    "V" <> wrote:

    >Can you upgrade XP Home to XP Pro from a FULL XP Pro cd? I have a client
    >who wants this done, and I really don't work with XP that much and I have
    >really no clue if this can be done or not. Does anyone know?

    A Retail Full Install version of Windows XP Pro (twice the price of a
    Retail Upgrade Version) will do an upgrade of Windows XP Home. It is
    just a very expensive way of doing it. Far better to sell the Retail
    Full Install version or save it for some other computer that has no
    existing Windows license and purchase the Retail Upgrade version of XP
    Pro.

    An OEM version of Windows XP Pro (which is sometimes also referred to
    as a full install version) will not repeat not do an upgrade of
    anything. Period.

    OEM versions are intended for use on new computer systems and
    therefore will not upgrade an existing version of Windows as a new
    computer would not have an older version installed.

    If it is an OEM version then your only recourse is to:
    1. Use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to save the XP Home
    data and settings to another hard drive partition, a network drive, or
    a backup device.
    2. Reformat the hard drive and install the OEM XP Pro.
    3. Reinstall the application programs.
    4, Run FASTW to import the data saved in step 1.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP