    I'd like to try Windows XP Professional 64 bit for my CAD program access
    more then 4GB memory. Can I use 32 bit OEM product key to install and
    activate 64 bit Windows XP professional?

    wubing, May 28, 2007

  2. wubing

    John Barnes Guest

    No

    John Barnes, May 28, 2007

  3. wubing

    mikeyhsd Guest

    there is NO upgrade path from 32 bit to 64 bit.
    not even for vista, much less xp.

    mikeyhsd, May 29, 2007
  4. wubing

    Mardon Guest

    "mikeyhsd" <> wrote:

    > there is NO upgrade path from 32 bit to 64 bit.
    > not even for vista, much less xp.

    The retail box of Vista Ultimate that I purchased included both the 32-
    bit and 64-bit versions of the OS. I installed Vista Ultimate x64 in
    dual boot with my old XP Pro 32-bit OS. For anyone going x64, I
    strongly recommend dual booting with the previous OS.

    Mardon, May 29, 2007
  5. I do not agree. Dual booting XP and Vista will cause the loss of Vista's
    restore points, shadow copies, backups, and anything else that relies on the
    Vista VSS driver each time you boot into XP.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 29, 2007
  6. Bad idea. You'll lose restore points in both OS's. And shadow copies. A
    better solution is to install a 32-bit version of Windows in a Virtual
    Machine on your 64-bit Windows if you still have legacy requirements for
    32-bit Windows. That won't mess up your restore points, and will only be
    there when you need it. And it's a lot less time consuming to spin up a
    virtual machine that shutdown, reboot to the other OS, do what you have to
    do, shutdown and reboot into your primary OS.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 29, 2007
  7. wubing

    John Barnes Guest

    Restore points, etc. are only lost on Vista. Those in XP are untouched. If
    this is an upgrade version there is the problem with needing licenses for
    both systems. Upgrade versions subsume the XP license and therefore it
    cannot legally be reinstalled.

    John Barnes, May 29, 2007
  8. True on all counts.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 29, 2007
  9. wubing

    Mardon Guest

    "John Barnes" <> wrote:

    > Restore points, etc. are only lost on Vista. Those in XP are
    > untouched. If this is an upgrade version there is the problem
    > with needing licenses for both systems. Upgrade versions subsume
    > the XP license and therefore it cannot legally be reinstalled.

    Are the Vista restore points lost by dual booting with XP even when
    each OS is on its on HD? Licensing was not an issue for me. My Vista
    x64 was not an upgrade purchase.

    Mardon, May 29, 2007
  10. My understanding is that yes, the restore points are lost regardless.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 29, 2007
  11. wubing

    John Barnes Guest

    Yes, see Colin's reply for the other items lost. The partition with Vista on
    it must be hidden or encrypted.

    John Barnes, May 30, 2007
  12. wubing

    Mardon Guest

    "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote:

    > I do not agree. Dual booting XP and Vista will cause the loss of
    > Vista's restore points, shadow copies, backups, and anything else
    > that relies on the Vista VSS driver each time you boot into XP.

    I'm no computer expert but I'm still having a hard time understanding
    why Vista's restore points would be lost when bootting into XP on a
    dual boot system like mine, where each OS is on a separate physical
    drive. The boot drive is always assigned Drive letter C:, even
    though the boot drive is a different physical drive depending on which
    OS is booted. When Vista boots to drive C:, the XP volsnap.sys file is
    on drive D:, a separate physical drive. How can that affect the Vista
    restore points?

    Mardon, May 30, 2007
  13. wubing

    Mardon Guest

    "John Barnes" <> wrote:

    > Yes, see Colin's reply for the other items lost. The partition
    > with Vista on it must be hidden or encrypted.

    I'm not talking about a partition, I'm talking about a seperate
    physical drive that is assigned a different drive letter during boot.
    See my reply to Colin.

    Mardon, May 30, 2007
  14. wubing

    John Barnes Guest

    It doesn't matter that the partition is on the same or different physical
    drives. Colin is correct and my comment about what needs to be done to
    prevent data loss stands. The way you installed may have resulted in both
    being C drives, but that is not always the case.

    John Barnes, May 31, 2007
  15. www.ekosh.uk.in

    > On Monday, May 28, 2007 3:44 PM wubing wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I'd like to try Windows XP Professional 64 bit for my CAD program access
    > more then 4GB memory. Can I use 32 bit OEM product key to install and
    > activate 64 bit Windows XP professional?

    >> On Monday, May 28, 2007 6:55 PM John Barnes wrote:

    >> No

    >>> On Monday, May 28, 2007 7:01 PM mikeyhsd wrote:

    >>> This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
    >>>
    >>> ------=_NextPart_000_02C4_01C7A152.49433540
    >>>
    >>> there is NO upgrade path from 32 bit to 64 bit.
    >>> not even for vista, much less xp.
    >>>

    >>> "wubing" <> wrote in message =
    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> I'd like to try Windows XP Professional 64 bit for my CAD program =
    >>> access=20
    >>> more then 4GB memory. Can I use 32 bit OEM product key to install and=20
    >>> activate 64 bit Windows XP professional?
    >>> ------=_NextPart_000_02C4_01C7A152.49433540
    >>>
    >>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
    >>> <HTML><HEAD>
    >>> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
    >>> charset=3Diso-8859-1">
    >>> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6000.16448" name=3DGENERATOR>
    >>> <STYLE></STYLE>
    >>> </HEAD>
    >>> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
    >>> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>there is NO upgrade path from 32 bit to =
    >>> 64=20
    >>> bit.</FONT></DIV>
    >>> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>not even for vista, much less =
    >>> xp.</FONT></DIV>
    >>> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    >>> <DIV>
    >>> <P>&nbsp;</P>
    >>> <P><FONT color=3D#ff0000>
    >>> <MARQUEE scrollAmount=3D2 scrollDelay=3D9 behavior=3Dalternate =
    >>> width=3D"35%"=20
    >>> bgColor=3D#ffff00 height=3D22><A=20
    >>> href=3D"mailto:"></A></MARQUEE></=

    Rita Chaudhary, Nov 16, 2010