    control panel) Internet Explorer.

    Reinstalling over the original install.

    ?????????

    Fred A Stover, Aug 28, 2007

  2. Fred A Stover wrote:
    > NTFS, XP Home Edition (upgrade over Windows me)
    >
    > My internet explorer doesn't work (it did initially) and I can't surf the
    > web. When I click on a link, enter a website in run, or click on a page in
    > Favorites, I get multiple instances of Internet explorer which keep
    > transferring the focus back and forth and go nowhere. What's happening? How
    > can I fix it.
    >
    > Clicking on Internet Explorer in the tray, takes me to my home site, and I
    > can go to its properties and change the homesite to where I want to go, then
    > close it and click on the icon in the tray and go there, but that's
    > ridiculous. Clicking on the IE icon on the desk top does nothing but create
    > a desktop IE shortcut that doesn't work.
    >
    > What hasn't worked: removing and reinstalling (in windows features of
    > control panel) Internet Explorer.
    >
    > Reinstalling over the original install.

    Have you tried running a good antivirus, such as Kaspersky? What about
    running a good antispyware program, such as Spybot Search and Destroy?
    Have you tried another browser such as Firefox?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 28, 2007

  3. "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Fred A Stover wrote:
    >> NTFS, XP Home Edition (upgrade over Windows me)
    >>
    >> My internet explorer doesn't work (it did initially) and I can't surf the
    >> web. When I click on a link, enter a website in run, or click on a page
    >> in Favorites, I get multiple instances of Internet explorer which keep
    >> transferring the focus back and forth and go nowhere. What's happening?
    >> How can I fix it.
    >>
    >> Clicking on Internet Explorer in the tray, takes me to my home site, and
    >> I can go to its properties and change the homesite to where I want to go,
    >> then close it and click on the icon in the tray and go there, but that's
    >> ridiculous. Clicking on the IE icon on the desk top does nothing but
    >> create a desktop IE shortcut that doesn't work.
    >>
    >> What hasn't worked: removing and reinstalling (in windows features of
    >> control panel) Internet Explorer.
    >>
    >> Reinstalling over the original install.

    > Have you tried running a good antivirus, such as Kaspersky? What about
    > running a good antispyware program, such as Spybot Search and Destroy?
    > Have you tried another browser such as Firefox?

    I'm running McAfee and it reports no virus, The ISP's Norton reports no
    virus.

    No I haven't tried a different browser. I will, if I can get to it <g>..

    Thank you,

    Fred A Stover, Aug 28, 2007
  4. Fred A Stover wrote:
    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >> Fred A Stover wrote:
    >>> NTFS, XP Home Edition (upgrade over Windows me)
    >>>
    >>> My internet explorer doesn't work (it did initially) and I can't surf the
    >>> web. When I click on a link, enter a website in run, or click on a page
    >>> in Favorites, I get multiple instances of Internet explorer which keep
    >>> transferring the focus back and forth and go nowhere. What's happening?
    >>> How can I fix it.
    >>>
    >>> Clicking on Internet Explorer in the tray, takes me to my home site, and
    >>> I can go to its properties and change the homesite to where I want to go,
    >>> then close it and click on the icon in the tray and go there, but that's
    >>> ridiculous. Clicking on the IE icon on the desk top does nothing but
    >>> create a desktop IE shortcut that doesn't work.
    >>>
    >>> What hasn't worked: removing and reinstalling (in windows features of
    >>> control panel) Internet Explorer.
    >>>
    >>> Reinstalling over the original install.

    >> Have you tried running a good antivirus, such as Kaspersky? What about
    >> running a good antispyware program, such as Spybot Search and Destroy?
    >> Have you tried another browser such as Firefox?

    > I'm running McAfee and it reports no virus, The ISP's Norton reports no
    > virus.
    >
    > No I haven't tried a different browser. I will, if I can get to it <g>..

    I suspect that this will end up with you running HijackThis. Don't go
    willy-nilly with it, post the log to one of the online forums and wait
    to get help. And when I said "good" antivirus, I was specifically not
    thinking about the two you mentioned.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 28, 2007
  5. Fred A Stover wrote:

    > NTFS, XP Home Edition (upgrade over Windows me)

    That might have been your first mistake.

    Back up all your data to external media, and do a complete overwrite and
    install from scratch.

    Be sure you install a firewall before you ever, ever connect it to the
    Internet, else you have under 12 minutes before it is toast.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 28, 2007
  6. "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Fred A Stover wrote:
    >> "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message

    >>> Have you tried running a good antivirus, such as Kaspersky? What about
    >>> running a good antispyware program, such as Spybot Search and Destroy?
    >>> Have you tried another browser such as Firefox?

    >> I'm running McAfee and it reports no virus, The ISP's Norton reports no
    >> virus.
    >>
    >> No I haven't tried a different browser. I will, if I can get to it <g>..

    > I suspect that this will end up with you running HijackThis. Don't go
    > willy-nilly with it, post the log to one of the online forums and wait to
    > get help. And when I said "good" antivirus, I was specifically not
    > thinking about the two you mentioned.

    Okay, thanks for the tip. I thought I had a good one, but it's nice to know
    there are better.

    However, I was able to change the browser to a later version and solve the
    problem.

    Thank you.

    Fred A Stover, Aug 28, 2007
  7. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in message
    > Fred A Stover wrote:
    >
    >> NTFS, XP Home Edition (upgrade over Windows me)

    > That might have been your first mistake.

    I thought that too.

    > Back up all your data to external media, and do a complete overwrite and
    > install from scratch.

    It wouldn't let me do that.

    > Be sure you install a firewall before you ever, ever connect it to the
    > Internet, else you have under 12 minutes before it is toast.

    It doesn't get connected to anything before the firewall goes up.

    Thank you.

    Fred A Stover, Aug 28, 2007
  8. Fred A Stover

    sittingduck Guest

    Fred A Stover wrote:

    >> Back up all your data to external media, and do a complete overwrite and
    >> install from scratch.

    > It wouldn't let me do that.

    You have to boot from the CD.
    Depending on your bios, you may have to hit a key during POST for the boot
    menu, you may have to change the boot order in the bios, or it may boot from
    cd by default. (Look for "press any key to boot from cd")

    During the setup options, format your drive NTFS, if the drive is big enough,
    delete the whole thing and make a 20GB partition for windows, and save the
    rest for data/backup/storage.

    sittingduck, Aug 28, 2007
  9. Fred A Stover

    Plato Guest

    Fred A Stover wrote:

    > NTFS, XP Home Edition (upgrade over Windows me)

    In the future, NEVER upgrade a previous version of Windows over an
    existing version. All, in every case, new versions of Windows are best
    installed totally fresh, NOT as an upgrade, especially from windows ME.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Aug 28, 2007
  10. "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Fred A Stover wrote:
    >>
    >> NTFS, XP Home Edition (upgrade over Windows me)

    > In the future, NEVER upgrade a previous version of Windows over an
    > existing version. All, in every case, new versions of Windows are best
    > installed totally fresh, NOT as an upgrade, especially from windows ME.

    You're RIGHT!!!!

    Fred A Stover, Aug 29, 2007
  11. "sittingduck" <> wrote in message
    > Fred A Stover wrote:
    >
    >>> Back up all your data to external media, and do a complete overwrite and
    >>> install from scratch.

    >> It wouldn't let me do that.

    > You have to boot from the CD.
    > Depending on your bios, you may have to hit a key during POST for the boot
    > menu, you may have to change the boot order in the bios, or it may boot
    > from
    > cd by default. (Look for "press any key to boot from cd")
    >
    > During the setup options, format your drive NTFS, if the drive is big
    > enough,
    > delete the whole thing and make a 20GB partition for windows, and save the
    > rest for data/backup/storage.

    Okay. It's resolved, but I'll remember that for the future. I didn't boot
    from the CD, but manually went to it after booting.

    Thanks,

    Fred A Stover, Aug 29, 2007