Upgrade vs Upgrade - not a faq but maybe some answers. Comments and Corrections welcomed.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Agent86, Feb 5, 2007.

  1. Agent86

    Agent86 Guest

    1. any version of XP or windows2000 qualifies you to use the upgrade
    version of vista (32 bit or 64 bit)

    2. 32 bit systems upgrading to 32 bit Vista can do a conventional
    upgrade preserving compatible programs, user settings data files etc.

    3. Going from any version of XP (or 2000) to 64 bit Vista is not what
    you would normally call an upgrade.

    4. If you have a 32 bit xp and decide to install 64 bit vista, you
    are probably going to have to boot into the vista dvd to start the
    install.

    5. If you have a 64 bit version of XP, the install may be started
    from windows, but will put all that exists on the system drive in a
    folder called windows.old. If you want to make any changes to your
    Hard Drive, ie format or repartition and format or extend it, you must
    boot off the Vista install dvd. Also, the anytime upgrade process
    will act just like your initial install, except I believe it must be
    started from windows, but the 64 bit version once again will move
    everything on the system drive into windows.old. As yet I have no
    experience with the 32 bit anytime upgrade.

    6. During the install of 64 bit Vista if you have booted off the
    Vista dvd and you tell it to format the drive, there is no Are you
    sure? followed by "to format the drive press F" So be sure of what
    you want to do before answering any prompts.

    7. If you purchase an Upgrade version, you must have an installed
    previous version. Vista will not Qualify the upgrade by inserting
    install media, So no "bare metal" installs with upgrade Product Keys.
    if you want to do a "bare metal" install you need the full product or
    OEM product,

    8. The only version that has both 64 and 32 bit media is Vista
    Ultimate. If you get one of the other versions of the full product of
    an Upgrade it will have only 32 bit media. OEM versions are available
    in either 32 bit or 64 bit but not both in one package. If you buy a
    32 bit version (Upgrade or Full Product) you may order the 64 bit
    media from Microsoft. The Same product key will work for either. In
    fact it is My understanding that all the 32 bit media is the same, and
    all the 64 bit media is the same, the Product Key controls what you
    can install off the media.

    Hope this helps someone.

    Paul
    Agent86, Feb 5, 2007

  2. Agent86

    Jane C Guest

    I would qualify point 2 to read that upgrading may be done from 32 bit XP,
    but Windows 2000 will require a custom install.

    Another point to mention is that one cannot upgrade from XP Pro (32 bit) to
    any Vista Home (32 bit) version. That will require a custom install. due to
    loss of functionality. There have been a few gripes about that already in
    the Vista ngs. The upgrade matrix has sadly not been consulted by some.

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)

    Jane C, Feb 5, 2007

  3. > 7. If you purchase an Upgrade version, you must have an installed
    > previous version. Vista will not Qualify the upgrade by inserting
    > install media, So no "bare metal" installs with upgrade Product Keys.
    > if you want to do a "bare metal" install you need the full product or
    > OEM product,

    It has been published in various places that you can do the following
    bare metal install with an upgrade version:

    Format disk
    Install Upgrade Vista by disabling auto-online-authentication (ie you
    will phone in) and do not allow it to update-now during install
    Vista will install but not validate
    Start over and do a normal upgrade install - it will find the existing
    Vista and "upgrade" normally.

    I have not tried this, but it is widely published. There is also a KB
    item that states Vista upgrade will only install over existing
    qualified OS versions, which includes Vista itself.

    It makes perfect sense that there is a way engineered in to bypass
    pesky problems on the myriad PC's that could confound most any
    standard process. Without such a "bypass" mechanism Microsoft might
    have to refund $$ if it would not upgrade install. I suspect there is
    some imprecise weasel phrase in the EULA to allow this if one actually
    does own a qualifying OS, or perhaps not. I could not imagine
    Microsft refunding.

    YMMV
    Computerflyer, Feb 9, 2007