    Microsoft has announced today there will be no upgrade from XP to W7 but
    there will be from Vista to W7. There is an upgrade from XP to Vista -
    should I buy this now and get a free/reduced price Vista to W7 upgrade?

    Geoff Pearson, Jun 25, 2009

  2. Geoff Pearson

    sittingduck Guest

    Geoff Pearson wrote:

    > I'm using Windows 7 RC on a clean PC for just this test. I like it and
    > will make this machine my main one once I have a permanent W7 version.
    >
    > Microsoft has announced today there will be no upgrade from XP to W7 but
    > there will be from Vista to W7. There is an upgrade from XP to Vista -
    > should I buy this now and get a free/reduced price Vista to W7 upgrade?

    Clean install is always best.

    sittingduck, Jun 25, 2009

  3. Geoff Pearson

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:
    sittingduck <> wrote:

    > Geoff Pearson wrote:
    >
    >> I'm using Windows 7 RC on a clean PC for just this test. I like it
    >> and will make this machine my main one once I have a permanent W7
    >> version.
    >>
    >> Microsoft has announced today there will be no upgrade from XP to W7
    >> but there will be from Vista to W7. There is an upgrade from XP to
    >> Vista - should I buy this now and get a free/reduced price Vista to
    >> W7 upgrade?

    > Clean install is always best.

    I think he's talking about buying the versions marketed as "upgrades",
    which can (sometimes) be obtained at a reduced price.

    If you can get Vista + the W7 "upgrades" at less than the price of the
    W7 full version and you have the time to actually install Vista first,
    why not?

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Jun 25, 2009
  4. Geoff Pearson

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:Xns9C35994B5A3BFVeebleFetzer@216.250.184.7 Bert Hyman
    <> wrote:

    > In news:
    > sittingduck <> wrote:
    >
    >> Geoff Pearson wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm using Windows 7 RC on a clean PC for just this test. I like it
    >>> and will make this machine my main one once I have a permanent W7
    >>> version.
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft has announced today there will be no upgrade from XP to W7
    >>> but there will be from Vista to W7. There is an upgrade from XP to
    >>> Vista - should I buy this now and get a free/reduced price Vista to
    >>> W7 upgrade?

    >> Clean install is always best.

    > I think he's talking about buying the versions marketed as "upgrades",
    > which can (sometimes) be obtained at a reduced price.
    >
    > If you can get Vista + the W7 "upgrades" at less than the price of the
    > W7 full version and you have the time to actually install Vista first,
    > why not?

    On second thought ...

    Is it possible to do a clean install with an "upgrade" package?

    In the event of some future catastrophe, you might need to do a clean
    install of W7, and having to install XP, then the Vista upgrade and then
    the W7 upgrade might be just too much to bear.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Jun 25, 2009
  5. Geoff Pearson

    Jordon Guest

    Geoff Pearson wrote:
    > I'm using Windows 7 RC on a clean PC for just this test. I like it and will
    > make this machine my main one once I have a permanent W7 version.
    >
    > Microsoft has announced today there will be no upgrade from XP to W7 but
    > there will be from Vista to W7. There is an upgrade from XP to Vista -
    > should I buy this now and get a free/reduced price Vista to W7 upgrade?

    Maybe no upgrade from Xp but, at least for a little while, it's
    cheap. And this article mentions an upgrade from Xp.

    http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=218101425

    --
    Jordon

    Jordon, Jun 25, 2009
  6. Geoff Pearson

    chuckcar Guest

    Bert Hyman <> wrote in

    > In news:Xns9C35994B5A3BFVeebleFetzer@216.250.184.7 Bert Hyman
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> In news:
    >> sittingduck <> wrote:

    >>> Clean install is always best.

    >> I think he's talking about buying the versions marketed as "upgrades",
    >> which can (sometimes) be obtained at a reduced price.
    >>
    >> If you can get Vista + the W7 "upgrades" at less than the price of the
    >> W7 full version and you have the time to actually install Vista first,
    >> why not?

    > On second thought ...
    >
    > Is it possible to do a clean install with an "upgrade" package?

    Never has been with the exception of the asking for the CD/disks (with 95 you
    can use 3.1 disks) in some cases

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jun 26, 2009
  7. Geoff Pearson

    doS Guest

    from the net:

    The full version of Windows 7 Home Premium is priced at $199, with an
    upgrade from Vista or XP costing $119. The full version of Windows 7
    Professional is $299, with upgrades going for $199. Windows 7 Ultimate is
    priced at $319, with the upgrade version at $219.
    But U.S. shoppers who pre-order between June 26th and July 11th will receive
    discounts of 50% or more, Microsoft said. For instance, Windows 7 Home
    Premium will sell for $49 during the discount period, while Windows 7
    Professional will sell for $99. Participating retailers include Best Buy and
    Amazon, as well as Microsoft's own online store.

    A similar program will be offered in Europe from July 15th to Aug. 14th.

    doS, Jun 26, 2009
  8. Geoff Pearson

    PeeCee Guest

    "Bert Hyman" <> wrote in message
    > In news:Xns9C35994B5A3BFVeebleFetzer@216.250.184.7 Bert Hyman
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> In news:
    >> sittingduck <> wrote:

    >>> Clean install is always best.

    >> I think he's talking about buying the versions marketed as "upgrades",
    >> which can (sometimes) be obtained at a reduced price.
    >>
    >> If you can get Vista + the W7 "upgrades" at less than the price of the
    >> W7 full version and you have the time to actually install Vista first,
    >> why not?

    > On second thought ...
    >
    > Is it possible to do a clean install with an "upgrade" package?
    >
    > In the event of some future catastrophe, you might need to do a clean
    > install of W7, and having to install XP, then the Vista upgrade and then
    > the W7 upgrade might be just too much to bear.
    >
    > --
    > Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert

    If you fresh install with a Vista upgrade disk and leave out the key it will
    install in demo mode.
    (30 or 60 days I think)
    Then 'upgrade' the demo install by installing again, entering the key this
    time.
    The 'demo' version will act as a legitimate upgrade original.

    As Windows 7 is an updated version of Vista, the same is likely to apply.

    Detailed instructions:
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/...stall-windows-vista-with-upgrade-license-dvd/
    http://www.infopackets.com/news/har...k_clean_install_vista_without_previous_os.htm

    The reason for this back door is to allow a clean OS install on a PC that
    only came with a 'Restore' disk.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jun 26, 2009
  9. "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in message
    > I'm using Windows 7 RC on a clean PC for just this test. I like it and
    > will make this machine my main one once I have a permanent W7 version.
    >
    > Microsoft has announced today there will be no upgrade from XP to W7 but
    > there will be from Vista to W7. There is an upgrade from XP to Vista -
    > should I buy this now and get a free/reduced price Vista to W7 upgrade?

    This says no XP to 7 upgrades in Europe.

    Geoff Pearson, Jun 26, 2009
  10. Geoff Pearson

    Gordon Guest

    Bert Hyman wrote:

    > On second thought ...
    >
    > Is it possible to do a clean install with an "upgrade" package?

    Yes. You are prompted at some stage during the install to insert the CD
    containing the qualifying software for the upgrade - the install doesn't
    actually DO anything with it other than verify that it exists...

    Gordon, Jun 26, 2009
  11. Geoff Pearson

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: Gordon <>
    wrote:

    > Bert Hyman wrote:
    >>

    >> On second thought ...
    >>
    >> Is it possible to do a clean install with an "upgrade" package?

    > Yes. You are prompted at some stage during the install to insert the
    > CD containing the qualifying software for the upgrade - the install
    > doesn't actually DO anything with it other than verify that it
    > exists...

    OK; that just means the W7 upgrader need merely keep a copy of
    the Vista (or XP, if that upgrade path exists) CD and the W7 media
    together in a safe place.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Jun 26, 2009
  12. Geoff Pearson

    tom Guest

    Geoff Pearson wrote:
    > I'm using Windows 7 RC on a clean PC for just this test. I like it and will
    > make this machine my main one once I have a permanent W7 version.
    >
    > Microsoft has announced today there will be no upgrade from XP to W7 but
    > there will be from Vista to W7. There is an upgrade from XP to Vista -
    > should I buy this now and get a free/reduced price Vista to W7 upgrade?

    I have vista home premium, Will I be able to upgrade to windows 7
    professional, By just buying Professioal Upgrade disk? I am not talking
    Clean install, I want all my data left alone on the upgrade . Just as I
    have done with Win 3.1 to win 95 to win 98 to win98 se to win me to
    winxp home to vista premium by cloning to larger HDs .

    tom, Jun 26, 2009
  13. Geoff Pearson

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:4151m.1594$ tom <>
    wrote:

    > I have vista home premium, Will I be able to upgrade to windows 7
    > professional, By just buying Professioal Upgrade disk? I am not talking
    > Clean install, I want all my data left alone on the upgrade

    Apparently. The Microsoft Win7 section says:

    If you have Windows Vista, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade
    versions. You can do a clean install (back up your files, clean
    install, and reinstall your applications) or an in-place upgrade
    (Windows 7 installs over Windows Vista).

    http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-Windows-7/category/102

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Jun 26, 2009
  14. tom wrote:

    > .. I am not talking Clean install, I want all my data left alone on
    > the upgrade .

    One good scheme is to store all your data on a separate drive or
    partition. Chances are if/when you upgrade your OS and application
    software, some of your 'data' will be no longer compatible with your new
    OS and its applications.

    > .. Just as I have done with Win 3.1 to win 95 to win 98 to win98 se to
    > win me to winxp home to vista premium by cloning to larger HDs .

    How do you get rid of all the cruft left behind?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 26, 2009
  15. Geoff Pearson

    sittingduck Guest

    tom wrote:

    > I have vista home premium, Will I be able to upgrade to windows 7
    > professional, By just buying Professioal Upgrade disk? I am not talking
    > Clean install, I want all my data left alone on the upgrade . Just as I
    > have done with Win 3.1 to win 95 to win 98 to win98 se to win me to
    > winxp home to vista premium by cloning to larger HDs .

    ****'s sake, in all that time you haven't learned to put your fucking OS on
    it's own fucking partition?

    sittingduck, Jun 26, 2009
  16. Geoff Pearson

    XS11E Guest

    sittingduck <> wrote:

    > ****'s sake, in all that time you haven't learned to put your
    > fucking OS on it's own fucking partition?

    I don't have a fucking OS, it keeps saying, "I have a headache." :-(

    XS11E, Jun 26, 2009
  17. Geoff Pearson

    sittingduck Guest

    XS11E wrote:

    >> ****'s sake, in all that time you haven't learned to put your
    >> fucking OS on it's own fucking partition?

    > I don't have a fucking OS, it keeps saying, "I have a headache." :-(

    Let me guess, you installed VISTA. You poor bastard.

    :D

    sittingduck, Jun 26, 2009
  18. Geoff Pearson

    XS11E Guest

    sittingduck <> wrote:

    > XS11E wrote:
    >
    >>> ****'s sake, in all that time you haven't learned to put your
    >>> fucking OS on it's own fucking partition?

    >> I don't have a fucking OS, it keeps saying, "I have a headache."
    >> :-(

    > Let me guess, you installed VISTA. You poor bastard.

    No, Windows 7.

    Vista has been completely problem free since the very first Beta (it
    was Longhorn then...) I have to rate it as the very best OS I've ever
    seen!

    Of course, I RTFM so maybe that explains it?

    XS11E, Jun 27, 2009
  19. Geoff Pearson

    sittingduck Guest

    XS11E wrote:

    > Vista has been completely problem free since the very first Beta (it
    > was Longhorn then...) I have to rate it as the very best OS I've ever
    > seen!
    > Of course, I RTFM so maybe that explains it?

    I'd guess that you don't ask much of it. Some people can get away with using
    the steaming piece of shit, personally I would sooner run linux than vista.
    And I don't think much of linux for a desktop OS.

    sittingduck, Jun 27, 2009
  20. Geoff Pearson

    XS11E Guest

    sittingduck <> wrote:

    > XS11E wrote:
    >
    >> Vista has been completely problem free since the very first Beta
    >> (it was Longhorn then...) I have to rate it as the very best OS
    >> I've ever seen! Of course, I RTFM so maybe that explains it?

    > I'd guess that you don't ask much of it.

    Probably more than most users.

    > Some people can get away with using the steaming piece of shit,

    "Some people" being anyone who will RTFM.

    > personally I would sooner run linux than vista. And I don't think
    > much of linux for a desktop OS.

    Personally, I like Linux. It won't do what I need so I don't run it
    but I have no objections to it...

    XS11E, Jun 27, 2009