    Since this will be a "clean install" of Windows 7, what do I need to do to
    ensure I will be able to activate Office after doing the W7 installation?

    --ron

    Ron Rosenfeld, Oct 25, 2009

  2. If you have any problem activating Office 2007 after installing it on
    your Win 7 system you just call the telephone number given to activate
    over the telephone and tell them you have just upgraded from Win XP to
    Win 7.

    Don't forget to run the Windows Easy Transfer program from the Win 7 DVD
    to migrate your personal settings, email, Favorites, etc. from your XP
    setup to your Win 7 setup. I did this on my wife's computer and was
    pleasantly surprised that even her desktop wallpaper and quick launch
    icons transferred.

    Bobby Johnson, Oct 25, 2009

  3. I'll be moving to Windows 7 soon also and, like Ron, I'll be doing a *full*
    install (Ron called it a "clean install"), not an upgrade. So, can you
    clarify when the "Windows Easy Transfer" program would be run? Would I do
    that before I destroyed the information on the hard disk by overwriting it
    with Windows 7? Where does the information go... on a CD? Or does that
    program only work for upgrades from Windows XP or Vista? Any clarification
    for this that you can give would be appreciated. Thanks

    --
    Rick

    Rick Rothstein, Oct 25, 2009
  4. Go to
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

    East Transfer is under Tab 2.

    You are directed to links to download Easy Transfer.

    Bobby Johnson, Oct 25, 2009
  5. For some reason I was thinking you could use Easy Transfer from the Win
    7 DVD but apparently you need to download the program from Microsoft's
    website. Links are in my response to Rick Rothstein.

    I did my wife's about 2 months ago and don't remember some specific details.

    Bobby Johnson, Oct 25, 2009
  6. I just printed the upgrading tutorial out... thanks!

    --
    Rick (MVP - Excel)

    Rick Rothstein, Oct 25, 2009
  7. On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 10:37:45 -0400, Bobby Johnson
    <> wrote:

    >If you have any problem activating Office 2007 after installing it on
    >your Win 7 system you just call the telephone number given to activate
    >over the telephone and tell them you have just upgraded from Win XP to
    >Win 7.
    >
    >Don't forget to run the Windows Easy Transfer program from the Win 7 DVD
    >to migrate your personal settings, email, Favorites, etc. from your XP
    >setup to your Win 7 setup. I did this on my wife's computer and was
    >pleasantly surprised that even her desktop wallpaper and quick launch
    >icons transferred.
    >

    >Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
    >> I am planning to upgrade my Windows XP to Windows 7. I also have several
    >> modules of Office 2007 installed in XP.
    >>
    >> Since this will be a "clean install" of Windows 7, what do I need to do to
    >> ensure I will be able to activate Office after doing the W7 installation?
    >>
    >> --ron

    Thanks for that information, Bobby.

    I know about the Easy Transfer program. I'm planning on using it for my Outlook
    stuff; but probably not for other program settings, as they are easily
    reproduced. And I don't have much customization, anyway.
    --ron

    Ron Rosenfeld, Oct 25, 2009
  8. You _can_ run it from the Win7 DVD (it's in Support\MigWiz). But ONLY if you
    are running the same "bitness". IOW, if you currently have 64-bit Windows,
    and you're converting to 64-bit Win7, then you use the same DVD. If you're
    currently running 32-bit Windows, you'll need to either do the download, or
    use the migwiz.exe from the 32-bit Win7.

    You can _not_ run WET to go from 64-bit Windows to 32-bit Win7.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 25, 2009
  9. On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 14:50:41 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:

    >You _can_ run it from the Win7 DVD (it's in Support\MigWiz). But ONLY if you
    >are running the same "bitness". IOW, if you currently have 64-bit Windows,
    >and you're converting to 64-bit Win7, then you use the same DVD. If you're
    >currently running 32-bit Windows, you'll need to either do the download, or
    >use the migwiz.exe from the 32-bit Win7.
    >
    >You can _not_ run WET to go from 64-bit Windows to 32-bit Win7.

    From what has been written, am I correct in assuming that you CAN use WET to go
    from 32 bit Windows XP to 64-bit Windows 7?

    Also, is there a list of exactly what WET does? I know where the stuff is I
    want to copy over. But I don't want to copy extraneous settings, and
    information from defunct add-ins.

    Is the storage scheme in Documents and Settings the same in W7 as it was in XP
    Pro? In particular, the ...\My Documents, ...\Application Data, and ...\Local
    Settings folders?

    --ron

    Ron Rosenfeld, Oct 25, 2009
  10. Storage settings are not the same. But there are simlinks to them.
    Everything is different. It WILL take you a while to adjust. But it is worth
    it, IME.

    When you do run WET, you can choose to "Customize" what you save, and then
    click Advanced to fine tune beyond that. I've got mine down to about 1.2 GB
    or so, but haven't any desire to go below that.

    Yes, you can use WET to go from 32-bit Windows ot 64-bit Windows. Just not
    the reverse.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 26, 2009
  11. On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 22:28:43 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:

    >Storage settings are not the same. But there are simlinks to them.
    >Everything is different. It WILL take you a while to adjust. But it is worth
    >it, IME.
    >
    >When you do run WET, you can choose to "Customize" what you save, and then
    >click Advanced to fine tune beyond that. I've got mine down to about 1.2 GB
    >or so, but haven't any desire to go below that.
    >
    >Yes, you can use WET to go from 32-bit Windows ot 64-bit Windows. Just not
    >the reverse.

    Thanks for that information, Charlie.
    --ron

    Ron Rosenfeld, Oct 26, 2009
  12. On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 22:28:43 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:

    >Storage settings are not the same. But there are simlinks to them.
    >Everything is different. It WILL take you a while to adjust. But it is worth
    >it, IME.
    >
    >When you do run WET, you can choose to "Customize" what you save, and then
    >click Advanced to fine tune beyond that. I've got mine down to about 1.2 GB
    >or so, but haven't any desire to go below that.
    >
    >Yes, you can use WET to go from 32-bit Windows ot 64-bit Windows. Just not
    >the reverse.

    One other question.

    I see that W7 has an XP "emulator" or virtual PC. If I set up W7 64-bit, can I
    emulate XP 32bit? (I have some programs that are not supposed to run in 64-bit
    mode)
    --ron

    Ron Rosenfeld, Oct 27, 2009
  13. Ron Rosenfeld

    Drew Guest

    > On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 22:28:43 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Storage settings are not the same. But there are simlinks to them.
    >>Everything is different. It WILL take you a while to adjust. But it is
    >>worth
    >>it, IME.
    >>
    >>When you do run WET, you can choose to "Customize" what you save, and then
    >>click Advanced to fine tune beyond that. I've got mine down to about 1.2
    >>GB
    >>or so, but haven't any desire to go below that.
    >>
    >>Yes, you can use WET to go from 32-bit Windows ot 64-bit Windows. Just not
    >>the reverse.

    > One other question.
    >
    > I see that W7 has an XP "emulator" or virtual PC. If I set up W7 64-bit,
    > can I
    > emulate XP 32bit? (I have some programs that are not supposed to run in
    > 64-bit
    > mode)
    > --ron

    All Windows 64-bit OSs have a 32-bit compatability mode including VMs. So;
    without having direct experience with Win7 yet, the answer would be yes.
    WinXP 64-bit was not a "real" product in the first place, meaning OEM only.
    So I think that was the main reason for this feature.

    Drew

    Drew, Oct 27, 2009
  14. Yes, there is a separate download for Windows Virtual PC and XPMode. It
    allows you to run a separate XP virtual machine. This is primarily for
    applications that won't run on Vista/Win7, not so much for 32-bit
    compatibility, though it does that too. Most 32-bit applications, however,
    don't require anything special at all.

    Note that Windows VPC is only available for Professional, Enterprise, and
    Ultimate editions of Win7.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 27, 2009
  15. On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 21:38:38 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:

    >Yes, there is a separate download for Windows Virtual PC and XPMode. It
    >allows you to run a separate XP virtual machine. This is primarily for
    >applications that won't run on Vista/Win7, not so much for 32-bit
    >compatibility, though it does that too. Most 32-bit applications, however,
    >don't require anything special at all.
    >
    >Note that Windows VPC is only available for Professional, Enterprise, and
    >Ultimate editions of Win7.

    Thanks Charlie. I was planning to obtain the Professional variation (not
    needing BitLocker which seems to be the only advantage of Ultimate).

    There are some programs I use regularly for which their support staff states
    specifically that they don't work on 64-bit OS's yet (including Vista and XP).
    Hence, my concern.
    --ron

    Ron Rosenfeld, Oct 27, 2009
  16. On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 21:37:52 -0500, "Drew" <> wrote:

    >All Windows 64-bit OSs have a 32-bit compatability mode including VMs. So;
    >without having direct experience with Win7 yet, the answer would be yes.
    >WinXP 64-bit was not a "real" product in the first place, meaning OEM only.
    >So I think that was the main reason for this feature.

    Thank you for that information, Drew.
    --ron

    Ron Rosenfeld, Oct 27, 2009
  17. Yes, there are programs that don't work in 64-bit. Anything that has 16bit
    code in it, including the installer, for one. Anything that is a DOS
    program. And a very few others, usually because they're dependent on a
    driver which isn't yet available in 64-bit.Whether these same programs will
    run in a virtual machine is a question you'll have to ask the vendor.

    Note please that Windows VPC and XPMode are only supported on machines that
    have hardware virtualization. If you have a 64-bit system that doesn't
    support hardware virtualization (Intel VT, or AMD-V), your options get a
    good deal more limited.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 27, 2009
  18. On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 07:53:13 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:

    >Yes, there are programs that don't work in 64-bit. Anything that has 16bit
    >code in it, including the installer, for one. Anything that is a DOS
    >program. And a very few others, usually because they're dependent on a
    >driver which isn't yet available in 64-bit.Whether these same programs will
    >run in a virtual machine is a question you'll have to ask the vendor.
    >
    >Note please that Windows VPC and XPMode are only supported on machines that
    >have hardware virtualization. If you have a 64-bit system that doesn't
    >support hardware virtualization (Intel VT, or AMD-V), your options get a
    >good deal more limited.

    Well, I did run the Windows 7 tool, and it told me my hardware was OK for
    W7-64Bit. Intel Core 2 (I think E6700) and, when I ran the tool, 2GB RAM. I
    know have 6GB RAM (after populating the two empty memory slots on my MB with
    another 2GB per slot).

    I would have gone to 8GB instead of 6GB, but then I would have had to throw out
    the 2GB I already had. Hopefully there won't be much difference.
    --ron

    Ron Rosenfeld, Oct 27, 2009
  19. On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 07:53:13 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:

    >Note please that Windows VPC and XPMode are only supported on machines that
    >have hardware virtualization. If you have a 64-bit system that doesn't
    >support hardware virtualization (Intel VT, or AMD-V), your options get a
    >good deal more limited.

    I meant I ran the tool that told me I could run Windows VPC and XPMode. It
    might have been a different tool.
    --ron

    Ron Rosenfeld, Oct 27, 2009
  20. On Oct 25, 7:21 am, Ron Rosenfeld <> wrote:
    > I am planning to upgrade my Windows XP to Windows 7.  I also have several
    > modules of Office 2007 installed in XP.
    >
    > Since this will be a "clean install" of Windows 7, what do I need to do to
    > ensure I will be able to activate Office after doing the W7 installation?
    >
    > --ron

    I install Office 7 to a Win 7 Beta. It was a dual boot. I did not
    notice anything different.

    Harry&amp;#39;s GMail World, Oct 27, 2009