    MCTS. but 296 is retired - so which one replace 296 - just want to upgrade to
    MCTS 2008 – what are the requirement based on that i already have MCSE 2000,
    MCSA2003,MCSA 2003 massaging, and MCDBA. Thanks for your info
    Itamar, Jul 5, 2009

  2. Itamar

    John R Guest

    "Itamar" <> wrote in message
    news:D...
    > So... after checking my transcript i realized i took 292 in the past but
    > not
    > 296 which is one of the required for the MCSE 2003 before i can upgrade to
    > MCTS. but 296 is retired - so which one replace 296 - just want to upgrade
    > MCTS 2008 – what are the requirement based on that i already have MCSE
    > 2000,
    > MCSA2003,MCSA 2003 massaging, and MCDBA. Thanks for your info

    If I were you, I would complete MCSE 2003 by taking 293 and 294 in place of
    296. Then follow the normal upgrade path to MCITP:EA or MCITP:SA.
    Otherwise, you pretty much would be starting over since upgrade paths are
    only available from 2003.

    John R
    John R, Jul 6, 2009

  3. Itamar

    Itamar Guest

    John, thanks for the info
    As far as I understand 296 is no longer available to take. But you are
    saying 293 + 294 will help me. But.. Don’t see any info from Microsoft that I
    can take 293 and 294 to upgrade instead of 296? Can you send any link if u
    knows?

    Itamar, Jul 6, 2009
  4. Itamar

    John R Guest

    "Itamar" <> wrote in message
    > John, thanks for the info
    > As far as I understand 296 is no longer available to take. But you are
    > saying 293 + 294 will help me. But.. Don’t see any info from Microsoft
    > that I
    > can take 293 and 294 to upgrade instead of 296? Can you send any link if u
    > knows?

    I would have expected someone with all the certs that you have to have
    better searching skills. This stuff isn't hidden.

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcse.aspx#tab4

    Look under the heading 'Upgrade to MCSE on Windows Server 2003'.

    You need 293, 294. Then, you need a design exam, but this requirement is
    waived if you have already passed a design exam on Microsoft Windows 2000
    Server (which you would have had to if you have MCSE 2000). Then, you need
    an elective, which is also waived by your MCSA or MCSE on 2000 Server.

    It also lists that you need 270. I do not believe that is correct. If you
    have MCSA 2003, or MCSE 2000, you've already passed either 210 or 270, both
    of which satisfy the client core component. If you don't have 210 or 270,
    then 270 would be an option since 210 is retired. I thought you could also
    substitute MCTS:Vista Config here as well.

    Check your certification planner, it should prove everything I've said.

    John R
    John R, Jul 6, 2009
  5. Itamar

    Itamar Guest

    Just found it . thanks for the info

    Itamar, Jul 6, 2009
  6. Itamar

    Itamar Guest

    long time ago i took those exams... trying to upgrade to the 2008. probabaly
    missed some lines when i read. dont think my seachrching skills are realted
    to my technical knowledge i have. but thanks anyway for the info.

    Itamar, Jul 6, 2009
  7. "John R" wrote:

    > I would have expected someone with all the certs that you have to have
    > better searching skills. This stuff isn't hidden.

    I am not sure what you are looking at to arrive at this conclusion, so since
    your "searching skills" are so much more astute than his, can you please
    quote *exactly* the part of the page that supports your claim? Because I am
    looking at the same page you reference and the *only* information on that
    page on how to get from MCSE 2000 to MCSE 2003 is to take 292 and 296 (which
    are retired). If you need 293 and 294, why in the frack don't they update the
    page to reflect this?

    IMO the certification planner is horribly confusing and useless, in my case
    at llst, as far as informing me what exams I need to take. It tells me that I
    need 290 and 291 as well as 293 and 294.
    Michael Parent, Jul 16, 2009
  8. Itamar

    John R Guest

    "Michael Parent" <> wrote in message
    > "John R" wrote:
    >
    >> I would have expected someone with all the certs that you have to have
    >> better searching skills. This stuff isn't hidden.

    > I am not sure what you are looking at to arrive at this conclusion, so
    > since
    > your "searching skills" are so much more astute than his, can you please
    > quote *exactly* the part of the page that supports your claim?

    <Sigh...>
    Read his first post. He has MCSE 2000 *and* MCSA 2003.

    Please print this out and then follow it step by step...

    Click on the link I gave.
    If it does not open #tab4 in the link, then click on 'Upgrade Paths'
    Scroll down to 'Upgrade to MCSE on Windows Server 2003'. This heading
    appears twice. Go to the second one.
    Scroll down a little further to where the 'Current certification' column
    says 'MCSA on Windows Server 2003'
    Look in the 'Required exams' column.

    70-293 and 70-294 are listed first. He needs those.

    70-210 and/or 70-270 are listed next. If he has MCSE 2000 or MCSA 2003, he
    already has 70-210 or 70-270, either of which satisfy the client component
    of MCSE 2003.

    Then, it says he needs a design exam. If he has MCSE 2000, he already has
    either 70-219, 70-220, 70-221 or 70-226.

    Then, it says he needs an elective. His MCSE 2000 satisfys that.

    Thank you for the opportunity to lead you by the hand.

    Next week, there will be a class on how to use 'google' :)

    > IMO the certification planner is horribly confusing and useless, in my
    > case
    > at llst, as far as informing me what exams I need to take. It tells me
    > that I
    > need 290 and 291 as well as 293 and 294.

    The cert planner is what it is. Since you didn't specify what you already
    have, it's hard for me to imagine what it is showing you. However, it has
    been common knowledge for years that 70-292 is an upgrade exam that give you
    credit for 70-290 and 70-291. 70-296 is an upgrade exam that give you
    credit for 70-293 and 70-294.

    292 and 296 were always *options* to take in place of the component exams.
    Since this option no longer exists, you must take the component exams.

    As to why Microsoft changed the pages the way they did, well, I don't work
    for them so I can't answer that.

    John R
    John R, Jul 16, 2009
  9. > "Michael Parent" <> wrote in message
    > > "John R" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I would have expected someone with all the certs that you have to have
    > >> better searching skills. This stuff isn't hidden.

    > > I am not sure what you are looking at to arrive at this conclusion, so
    > > since
    > > your "searching skills" are so much more astute than his, can you please
    > > quote *exactly* the part of the page that supports your claim?

    > <Sigh...>
    > Read his first post. He has MCSE 2000 *and* MCSA 2003.

    Ah did not catch the MCSA thing... in any case, there is still really no
    call for your condescension, arrogance and smart remarks.

    "Common knowledge" is a pretty subjective statement. I have been out of the
    certification game for a while so it certainly was not what I would consider
    to be "common" knowledge". It certainly is not mentioned on that page
    anywhere. I had to call MS to get the info I needed.

    As for google... I prefer to get my information on certification from MS and
    IMO they have let me down by not providing the informationin a clear and
    concise manner on their certification site...

    > Please print this out and then follow it step by step...
    >
    > Click on the link I gave.
    > If it does not open #tab4 in the link, then click on 'Upgrade Paths'
    > Scroll down to 'Upgrade to MCSE on Windows Server 2003'. This heading
    > appears twice. Go to the second one.
    > Thank you for the opportunity to lead you by the hand.

    You're welcome. I am getting a sense of what it means for your self esteem.
    You are not endearing yourself to anyone by helping people and telling them
    how inept they are in the same breath... is this your Internet self or is
    this how you operate in the "real world"?

    Cheers
    Michael Parent, Jul 16, 2009
  10. Itamar

    >> "Michael Parent" <> wrote in
    >> message
    >> Read his first post. He has MCSE 2000 *and* MCSA 2003.

    > Ah did not catch the MCSA thing... in any case, there is still really no
    > call for your condescension, arrogance and smart remarks.

    All I said was that I thought the OP would have better search skills. I
    don't know about where you work, but where I do, not every problem that
    comes up has an automatic solution. Therefore, I spend a good part of some
    days searching the Internet for others that have had similar issues, or
    searching Microsoft's website. I think that holds true for almost anyone
    who has MCSE and is working in that position.

    That being said, it is logical to assume that someone who is looking for
    certification information on MCSE would look on Microsoft's website first
    before asking on a public newsgroup, in which case, they would have found
    that page in about 2 seconds, just as I did. The fact that they asked the
    question indicates that they searched and didn't find it (to wit, my
    remark), or they didn't even bother in which case they would have been
    worthy of much worse.

    I certainly would not call my remark to him as "condescension, arrogance and
    smart remarks". I might say 'sense of humor'.

    > You're welcome. I am getting a sense of what it means for your self
    > esteem.

    You are the one who came into the thread with an attitude after not
    *reading* the whole thread where the information was in fact there.

    > You are not endearing yourself to anyone by helping people and telling
    > them
    > how inept they are in the same breath... is this your Internet self or is
    > this how you operate in the "real world"?

    I don't endeavor to endear myself to anyone. I provided all of the
    information that the OP requested. I then brought out the 'condescension,
    arrogance and smart remarks' for you. I think you'll find that when you
    take an attitude with someone who has in fact done exactly what you said
    they didn't do, and provided exactly the information that you said they
    didn't, then you should expect similar results.

    Just a note for your own sanity. Don't take it personally. Nobody does.
    If you should ask a question tomorrow, I won't even remember that we had
    this conversation and would answer your question if I know it.

    > Cheers

    Right back at ya.

    John R
    John R, Jul 16, 2009
  11. Itamar

    > IMO the certification planner is horribly confusing and useless, in my
    > case
    > at llst, as far as informing me what exams I need to take. It tells me
    > that I
    > need 290 and 291 as well as 293 and 294.

    If you have MCSE 2000 and have not taken 292 or 296, that would be correct.

    A common misconception these days is that you can "upgrade" from 2000 to
    2003. That all depends on your definition of "upgrade". Since 2000 is
    retired (and all of the exams that go with it including 292 and 296), there
    are no "upgrade" exams available to move from MCSE 2000 to MCSE 2003.
    However, should you achieve MCSE 2003, you have certainly "upgraded".

    Since the "upgrade" exams are not available, the only way to achieve MCSA or
    MCSE 2003 is to go straight at them from scratch. However, having MCSE 2000
    gives you a head start as you already have an acceptable client component, a
    design component, and the MCSE 2000 itself satisfies the elective component.
    This leaves you with 290, 291, 293, and 294. You will have earned MCSE 2003
    based on the core compents (in which case you did not follow an "upgrade"
    path), but you will have upgraded in the sense that you moved from MCSE 2000
    to MCSE 2003.

    John R
    John R, Jul 16, 2009
  12. Itamar

    PAJ Guest

    On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 12:25:32 -0400, "John R"
    <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote:

    >Please print this out and then follow it step by step...

    Don't fecking print it out for fecks sake MS are green now!!!!!!
    Moron!
    PAJ, Jul 16, 2009
  13. Itamar

    PAJ Guest

    On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 13:49:08 -0400, "John R"
    <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote:

    >I certainly would not call my remark to him as "condescension, arrogance and
    >smart remarks".

    Shows what you know!

    >I might say 'sense of humor'.

    hahah fecking hahahahahaahhaahahhah

    >I don't endeavor to endear myself to anyone.

    Feckin right you don't, you moron!!!!!
    I just don't get that warn fuzzy feeling with you.
    PAJ, Jul 16, 2009
  14. Itamar

    John R Guest

    "PAJ" <> wrote in message

    > I just don't get that warn fuzzy feeling with you.

    Trust me, I don't think either of us wants to get 'warm and fuzzy' with the
    other, lol
    John R, Jul 16, 2009
  15. "John R" wrote:

    > I certainly would not call my remark to him as "condescension, arrogance and
    > smart remarks". I might say 'sense of humor'.

    Assuming I can take you at face value, I guess all I can say is that you may
    want to be mindful of the fact that some senses of humor translate better in
    person...
    Michael Parent, Jul 17, 2009
  16. Itamar

    > "John R" wrote:
    >
    >> I certainly would not call my remark to him as "condescension, arrogance
    >> and
    >> smart remarks". I might say 'sense of humor'.

    > Assuming I can take you at face value, I guess all I can say is that you
    > may
    > want to be mindful of the fact that some senses of humor translate better
    > in
    > person...

    I guess you're right. I probably should have posted this link...
    http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=upgrade mcse 2000 to mcse 2003

    But then people would have found something else to complain to me about :)

    Ya know, I used to be Mr. Sensitive and Mr. Patience all rolled into one in
    this newsgroup, but then people started lambasting me about that, and that
    the best way to help someone is to show them how to help themselves. So,
    now when I add a little edge, I get grief the other way.

    Que Sara Sara

    John R
    John R, Jul 17, 2009