Upgrade time

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rob S, Dec 19, 2007.

  1. Rob S

    Rob S Guest

    I've just come out of 2 months in hospital, so I'm way behind the ball
    on new gear and price trends, though looking at Pricespy everything
    seems to be very low at the moment, so I want to get in while the
    going's good.

    My budget is $900 - $1000 not including psu or case. Must run Ubuntu
    6.10 with no driver problems. Is it worth going to the 64 bit version or
    will I have driver and app compatibility problems?

    No gaming, large photo work (5 - 20 Mb) in the Gimp, vector graphics
    (Inkscape), 3d rendering (Blender, Magiclight), standard office, web,
    html etc. apps. I usually have 6 desktops with a couple of apps open in
    each.

    Currently looking at

    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 $160
    INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6750 $273
    Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 DDR2-800 2GB Kit 5-5-5-12 $92
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 8600GTS 256MB $226

    which is well under my budget. Should I get better ram?

    Phoronix (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=928&num=1)
    gives the video card a good review using Ubuntu 7.10. Is it overkill for
    my uses or should be looking at something else altogether?

    TIA
    --

    Rob
    http://www.aspir8or.com

    Why, if heat rises, are mountain tops so friggin' cold?

    Rob S, Dec 19, 2007

  2. In article <47687fd8$>, Rob S did write:

    > Must run Ubuntu
    > 6.10 with no driver problems. Is it worth going to the 64 bit version or
    > will I have driver and app compatibility problems?

    64-bit isn't a problem with open-source, in my experience. Closed-source
    32-bit apps should also work. As for closed-source drivers--which ones
    might you need?

    One issue will be with closed-source Firefox plugins--i.e. Adobe Flash. That
    will work with 64-bit Firefox via nspluginwrapper--that seems to work
    fairly reliably nowadays.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 19, 2007

  3. Rob S

    Rob S Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <47687fd8$>, Rob S did write:
    >
    >> Must run Ubuntu
    >> 6.10 with no driver problems. Is it worth going to the 64 bit version or
    >> will I have driver and app compatibility problems?

    > 64-bit isn't a problem with open-source, in my experience. Closed-source
    > 32-bit apps should also work. As for closed-source drivers--which ones
    > might you need?
    >
    > One issue will be with closed-source Firefox plugins--i.e. Adobe Flash. That
    > will work with 64-bit Firefox via nspluginwrapper--that seems to work
    > fairly reliably nowadays.

    Thanks Lawrence. I was worried about printer drivers mainly, inkjet and
    laser. I'll stop being lazy and search for hardware compatibility.
    Should be somewhere on the Ubuntu site. Just still tired from hospital.
    Lying down getting served all day to having to do everything myself
    takes a bit of getting used to again and is very energy draining.

    --

    Rob
    http://www.aspir8or.com

    I'm having a problem here. Do I put the serial number in the box that
    says 'serial number,' or do I put it in the box that says 'company'? -
    Oh, those poor tech support people

    Rob S, Dec 19, 2007
  4. Rob S

    EMB Guest

    Rob S wrote:
    > which is well under my budget. Should I get better ram?

    In light of the sort of work you do I'd get more RAM with the additional
    budget.

    EMB, Dec 19, 2007
  5. Rob S

    Gordon Guest

    On 2007-12-19, EMB <> wrote:
    > Rob S wrote:
    >> which is well under my budget. Should I get better ram?

    > In light of the sort of work you do I'd get more RAM with the additional
    > budget.

    A HD seems to have been left off the list, however any $ left over buy more
    memory

    Gordon, Dec 19, 2007
  6. Rob S

    peter Guest

    Rob S wrote:
    > which is well under my budget. Should I get better ram?

    2GB is nice, but more would help if you like having lots of big images open
    at once. Ubuntu certainly doesn't need as much RAM as that other OS.

    > Phoronix (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=928&num=1)
    > gives the video card a good review using Ubuntu 7.10. Is it overkill for
    > my uses or should be looking at something else altogether?

    I don't know about that card in particular, but I've found the nvidia
    drivers are better supported than ATI.

    HTH

    Peter

    peter, Dec 19, 2007
  7. Rob S

    Rob S Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On 2007-12-19, EMB <> wrote:
    >> Rob S wrote:
    >>> which is well under my budget. Should I get better ram?

    >> In light of the sort of work you do I'd get more RAM with the additional
    >> budget.

    > A HD seems to have been left off the list, however any $ left over buy more
    > memory

    Thanks. Wasn't thinking clearly. Photo work and 3d need heaps. The m/b
    can take up to 8Gb in dual channel mode, so might as well go the whole
    hog, what with the price of memory these days.

    Got plenty of HDs, 2 x 250Gb sata drives

    Cheers

    --

    Rob
    http://www.aspir8or.com

    665.9238429876 - Number of the Pentium Beast

    Rob S, Dec 19, 2007
  8. Rob S

    thingy Guest

    Rob S wrote:
    > I've just come out of 2 months in hospital, so I'm way behind the ball
    > on new gear and price trends, though looking at Pricespy everything
    > seems to be very low at the moment, so I want to get in while the
    > going's good.
    >
    > My budget is $900 - $1000 not including psu or case. Must run Ubuntu
    > 6.10 with no driver problems. Is it worth going to the 64 bit version or
    > will I have driver and app compatibility problems?
    >
    > No gaming, large photo work (5 - 20 Mb) in the Gimp, vector graphics
    > (Inkscape), 3d rendering (Blender, Magiclight), standard office, web,
    > html etc. apps. I usually have 6 desktops with a couple of apps open in
    > each.
    >
    > Currently looking at
    >
    > Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 $160

    Good choice, except it only does 1gig ram modules.....so 4 gig max.....

    > INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6750 $273

    Consider a Quad core, Linux likes quad cores....with multiple desktops
    the more cores the better.......Q6600 $440 ish....

    > Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 DDR2-800 2GB Kit 5-5-5-12 $92

    Multiple desk tops will eat ram...I run 32 desktops and chew through 2
    gig of ram with ease....I/d go 2 x 2 Gig modules leaving two empty slots
    for expansion....which means a different motherboard.

    Some do 4 x 2s....

    http://www.asus.co.nz/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1929&l1=3&l2=11&l3=584&l4=0

    > NVIDIA GEFORCE 8600GTS 256MB $226

    Over-rated IMHO....look at some direct-x ver9 cards......ATI 1950 series
    maybe.

    > which is well under my budget. Should I get better ram?

    Not "better" more...

    > Phoronix (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=928&num=1)
    > gives the video card a good review using Ubuntu 7.10. Is it overkill for
    > my uses or should be looking at something else altogether?
    >
    > TIA

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Dec 19, 2007
  9. Rob S

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "thingy" typed:
    > Rob S wrote:

    <snip>

    >> Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 DDR2-800 2GB Kit 5-5-5-12 $92

    > Multiple desk tops will eat ram...I run 32 desktops and chew through 2
    > gig of ram with ease....I/d go 2 x 2 Gig modules leaving two empty
    > slots for expansion....which means a different motherboard.
    >
    > Some do 4 x 2s....
    >
    > http://www.asus.co.nz/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1929&l1=3&l2=11&l3=584&l4=0

    Or the mobo I'm using if you don't want the integrated graphics of the P5E-V

    http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1655&l1=3&l2=11&l3=534&l4=0
    --
    TTFN,

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 19, 2007
  10. Rob S

    Allistar Guest

    thingy wrote:

    > Rob S wrote:
    >> I've just come out of 2 months in hospital, so I'm way behind the ball
    >> on new gear and price trends, though looking at Pricespy everything
    >> seems to be very low at the moment, so I want to get in while the
    >> going's good.
    >>
    >> My budget is $900 - $1000 not including psu or case. Must run Ubuntu
    >> 6.10 with no driver problems. Is it worth going to the 64 bit version or
    >> will I have driver and app compatibility problems?
    >>
    >> No gaming, large photo work (5 - 20 Mb) in the Gimp, vector graphics
    >> (Inkscape), 3d rendering (Blender, Magiclight), standard office, web,
    >> html etc. apps. I usually have 6 desktops with a couple of apps open in
    >> each.
    >>
    >> Currently looking at
    >>
    >> Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 $160

    > Good choice, except it only does 1gig ram modules.....so 4 gig max.....
    >
    >> INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6750 $273

    > Consider a Quad core, Linux likes quad cores....with multiple desktops
    > the more cores the better.......Q6600 $440 ish....

    Indeed that's true. I have a quad core and run with as much eye candy as
    possible (Compiz Fusion) - this is while running multiple VMWare virtual
    machines and hefty compilation processes - I notice no lag or delay in the
    GUI or the responsiveness of the computer in general.

    >> Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 DDR2-800 2GB Kit 5-5-5-12 $92

    > Multiple desk tops will eat ram...I run 32 desktops and chew through 2
    > gig of ram with ease....I/d go 2 x 2 Gig modules leaving two empty slots
    > for expansion....which means a different motherboard.
    >
    > Some do 4 x 2s....

    http://www.asus.co.nz/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1929&l1=3&l2=11&l3=584&l4=0

    >> NVIDIA GEFORCE 8600GTS 256MB $226

    > Over-rated IMHO....look at some direct-x ver9 cards......ATI 1950 series
    > maybe.

    How is direct-x compatibility relevant for Ubuntu?

    --
    A.

    Allistar, Dec 19, 2007
  11. Rob S

    Allistar Guest

    Rob S wrote:

    > Gordon wrote:
    >>> In light of the sort of work you do I'd get more RAM with the additional
    >>> budget.

    >> A HD seems to have been left off the list, however any $ left over buy
    >> more memory

    > Thanks. Wasn't thinking clearly. Photo work and 3d need heaps. The m/b
    > can take up to 8Gb in dual channel mode, so might as well go the whole
    > hog, what with the price of memory these days.
    >
    > Got plenty of HDs, 2 x 250Gb sata drives

    I'd suggest getting another 2 and running them in a RAID 0+1 configuration
    for redundancy and performance. If you have adequate backups, then you
    could just stripe them (RAID0). Under Linux you can easily spread the swap
    space over multiple drives for additional swap performance.
    --
    A.

    Allistar, Dec 19, 2007
  12. Rob S

    thingy Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >
    >> Rob S wrote:
    >>> I've just come out of 2 months in hospital, so I'm way behind the ball
    >>> on new gear and price trends, though looking at Pricespy everything
    >>> seems to be very low at the moment, so I want to get in while the
    >>> going's good.
    >>>
    >>> My budget is $900 - $1000 not including psu or case. Must run Ubuntu
    >>> 6.10 with no driver problems. Is it worth going to the 64 bit version or
    >>> will I have driver and app compatibility problems?
    >>>
    >>> No gaming, large photo work (5 - 20 Mb) in the Gimp, vector graphics
    >>> (Inkscape), 3d rendering (Blender, Magiclight), standard office, web,
    >>> html etc. apps. I usually have 6 desktops with a couple of apps open in
    >>> each.
    >>>
    >>> Currently looking at
    >>>
    >>> Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 $160

    >> Good choice, except it only does 1gig ram modules.....so 4 gig max.....
    >>
    >>> INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6750 $273

    >> Consider a Quad core, Linux likes quad cores....with multiple desktops
    >> the more cores the better.......Q6600 $440 ish....

    > Indeed that's true. I have a quad core and run with as much eye candy as
    > possible (Compiz Fusion) - this is while running multiple VMWare virtual
    > machines and hefty compilation processes - I notice no lag or delay in the
    > GUI or the responsiveness of the computer in general.

    Yep.........

    >>> Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 DDR2-800 2GB Kit 5-5-5-12 $92

    >> Multiple desk tops will eat ram...I run 32 desktops and chew through 2
    >> gig of ram with ease....I/d go 2 x 2 Gig modules leaving two empty slots
    >> for expansion....which means a different motherboard.
    >>
    >> Some do 4 x 2s....
    >>

    > http://www.asus.co.nz/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1929&l1=3&l2=11&l3=584&l4=0
    >>> NVIDIA GEFORCE 8600GTS 256MB $226

    >> Over-rated IMHO....look at some direct-x ver9 cards......ATI 1950 series
    >> maybe.

    > How is direct-x compatibility relevant for Ubuntu?

    Exactly....the 8600 is not a great GPU, so since Linux does not use
    directx10 anyway, a directx9 card maybe cheaper and faster!

    From what I can see unless you have Vista and are prepared to fork out
    for a 8800GT or a 3870 (maybe a 3850) the rest are a waste....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Dec 19, 2007
  13. Rob S

    thingy Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "thingy" typed:
    >> Rob S wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    >>> Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 DDR2-800 2GB Kit 5-5-5-12 $92

    >> Multiple desk tops will eat ram...I run 32 desktops and chew through 2
    >> gig of ram with ease....I/d go 2 x 2 Gig modules leaving two empty
    >> slots for expansion....which means a different motherboard.
    >>
    >> Some do 4 x 2s....
    >>
    >> http://www.asus.co.nz/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1929&l1=3&l2=11&l3=584&l4=0

    > Or the mobo I'm using if you don't want the integrated graphics of the P5E-V
    >
    > http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1655&l1=3&l2=11&l3=534&l4=0

    yep...advantage of the onboard is I can put off getting a decent video
    card until I can afford it....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Dec 19, 2007
  14. In article <fkc8qk$26e$>, Bruce Sinclair did write:

    > I was very happy with hardware compatibility in kubuntu 7.1 (I know ...
    > you're supposed to say 7.10 ... but that's silly :) ).

    The "10" represents the month of October.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 19, 2007
  15. In article <>, Rob S <here@home> wrote:
    >Thanks Lawrence. I was worried about printer drivers mainly, inkjet and
    >laser. I'll stop being lazy and search for hardware compatibility.
    >Should be somewhere on the Ubuntu site. Just still tired from hospital.
    >Lying down getting served all day to having to do everything myself
    >takes a bit of getting used to again and is very energy draining.

    I was very happy with hardware compatibility in kubuntu 7.1 (I know ...
    you're supposed to say 7.10 ... but that's silly :) ). It took everything I
    have thrown at it so far (cameras, printers, disks and flash drives) without
    complaint. For printers particularly, even if the particular printer isn't
    listed, chances are good that it can use one of the older listed printers
    from the same manufacturer and still work fine.

    HTH

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 20, 2007
  16. Rob S

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Bruce Sinclair" typed:
    > In article <>, Rob S <here@home> wrote:
    >> Thanks Lawrence. I was worried about printer drivers mainly, inkjet
    >> and laser. I'll stop being lazy and search for hardware
    >> compatibility. Should be somewhere on the Ubuntu site. Just still
    >> tired from hospital. Lying down getting served all day to having to
    >> do everything myself takes a bit of getting used to again and is
    >> very energy draining.

    > I was very happy with hardware compatibility in kubuntu 7.1 (I know
    > ... you're supposed to say 7.10 ... but that's silly :) ). It took
    > everything I have thrown at it so far (cameras, printers, disks and
    > flash drives) without complaint. For printers particularly, even if
    > the particular printer isn't listed, chances are good that it can use
    > one of the older listed printers from the same manufacturer and still
    > work fine.
    >
    > HTH

    Indeed it does. I've been slowly getting the DVD ISO on bittorrent over the
    last few days and was wondering about compatibility with newer hardware. My
    mobo uses an Intel P35 northbridge and a ICH9R southbridge and has a Realtek
    WiFi adapter integrated. I'll run it "live" before I contemplate an install.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 20, 2007
  17. Rob S

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "thingy" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "thingy" typed:
    >>> Rob S wrote:

    >> <snip>

    >>> Multiple desk tops will eat ram...I run 32 desktops and chew
    >>> through 2 gig of ram with ease....I/d go 2 x 2 Gig modules leaving
    >>> two empty slots for expansion....which means a different
    >>> motherboard. Some do 4 x 2s....
    >>>
    >>> http://www.asus.co.nz/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1929&l1=3&l2=11&l3=584&l4=0

    >> Or the mobo I'm using if you don't want the integrated graphics of
    >> the P5E-V
    >> http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1655&l1=3&l2=11&l3=534&l4=0

    > yep...advantage of the onboard is I can put off getting a decent video
    > card until I can afford it....

    Valid reason. I only mentioned it as Rob was talking compatibility with
    Kubuntu 7.1 and I don't know how well it handles the new intel IGPs.
    --
    TTFN,

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 20, 2007
  18. In article <4769c94e$>, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >Somewhere on teh intarweb "Bruce Sinclair" typed:
    >> In article <>, Rob S <here@home> wrote:
    >>> Thanks Lawrence. I was worried about printer drivers mainly, inkjet
    >>> and laser. I'll stop being lazy and search for hardware
    >>> compatibility. Should be somewhere on the Ubuntu site. Just still
    >>> tired from hospital. Lying down getting served all day to having to
    >>> do everything myself takes a bit of getting used to again and is
    >>> very energy draining.

    >> I was very happy with hardware compatibility in kubuntu 7.1 (I know
    >> ... you're supposed to say 7.10 ... but that's silly :) ). It took
    >> everything I have thrown at it so far (cameras, printers, disks and
    >> flash drives) without complaint. For printers particularly, even if
    >> the particular printer isn't listed, chances are good that it can use
    >> one of the older listed printers from the same manufacturer and still
    >> work fine.
    >>
    >> HTH

    >Indeed it does. I've been slowly getting the DVD ISO on bittorrent over the
    >last few days and was wondering about compatibility with newer hardware. My
    >mobo uses an Intel P35 northbridge and a ICH9R southbridge and has a Realtek
    >WiFi adapter integrated. I'll run it "live" before I contemplate an install.

    As an aside, for $5 you can have the DVD delivered to your door. If you
    still care next year, let me know and I'll arrange it :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 20, 2007
  19. Rob S

    bambam Guest

    z (Bruce Sinclair) wrote in

    > I was very happy with hardware compatibility in kubuntu 7.1 (I know ...
    > you're supposed to say 7.10 ... but that's silly :)

    Well, not really.
    The 7 = 2007 and the 10 = October.
    Ubuntu 7.10 - the Gutsy Gibbon - released in October 2007.
    :)

    bambam, Dec 20, 2007
  20. Rob S

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Bruce Sinclair" typed:
    > In article <4769c94e$>, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Bruce Sinclair" typed:
    >>>
    >>> I was very happy with hardware compatibility in kubuntu 7.1 (I know
    >>> ... you're supposed to say 7.10 ... but that's silly :) ). It took
    >>> everything I have thrown at it so far (cameras, printers, disks and
    >>> flash drives) without complaint. For printers particularly, even if
    >>> the particular printer isn't listed, chances are good that it can
    >>> use one of the older listed printers from the same manufacturer and
    >>> still work fine.
    >>>
    >>> HTH

    >> Indeed it does. I've been slowly getting the DVD ISO on bittorrent
    >> over the last few days and was wondering about compatibility with
    >> newer hardware. My mobo uses an Intel P35 northbridge and a ICH9R
    >> southbridge and has a Realtek WiFi adapter integrated. I'll run it
    >> "live" before I contemplate an install.

    > As an aside, for $5 you can have the DVD delivered to your door. If
    > you
    > still care next year, let me know and I'll arrange it :)

    Cheers Bruce, handy to know. However I should have it in a few days if I
    don't find more urgent things to download. <g>

    Thanks,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 20, 2007