Upgrade Sony Vaio to WinXP

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bishoop, May 8, 2004.

  1. Bishoop

    Bishoop Guest

    I'm trying to upgrade a Sony Vaio PCV RX450 (desktop) from WinME (yuck) to
    WinXP Pro.

    This is my nieces PC and between her doing an upgrade on top of WinME and
    contracting a couple of viruses to boot, the machine was a mess.

    I did a clean install of WinXP and most things seem to be just fine. Except
    the DVD player won't play DVDs.

    I have searched the Sony site for help but so far have only found help for
    using the lousy recovery disks and they refuse to work with WinXP. Did find
    notes about how Sony will not support any systems with an OS that the
    original box was shipped with.

    I Googled the news groups and found lots of notes referring to upgrading
    laptops and many horror stories.

    Can any offer any help with getting the DVD player to play DVDs in the
    upgraded system?

    Thanks....
    Bishoop, May 8, 2004

  2. Bishoop

    Jono Guest

    Bishoop wrote:
    || I'm trying to upgrade a Sony Vaio PCV RX450 (desktop) from WinME
    || (yuck) to WinXP Pro.
    || This is my nieces PC and between her doing an upgrade on top of
    || WinME and contracting a couple of viruses to boot, the machine was a
    || mess.
    || I did a clean install of WinXP and most things seem to be just fine.
    || Except the DVD player won't play DVDs.
    || I have searched the Sony site for help but so far have only found
    || help for using the lousy recovery disks and they refuse to work with
    || WinXP. Did find notes about how Sony will not support any systems
    || with an OS that the original box was shipped with.
    || I Googled the news groups and found lots of notes referring to
    || upgrading laptops and many horror stories.
    || Can any offer any help with getting the DVD player to play DVDs in
    || the upgraded system?
    || Thanks....

    You need to install DVD player software such as PowerDVD from Cyberlink, or
    WinOnDVD(?)

    I am unaware of any legitimate DVD decoders that are free.
    Jono, May 8, 2004

  3. Bishoop

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Bishoop posted ...

    > I'm trying to upgrade a Sony Vaio PCV RX450 (desktop) from WinME
    > (yuck) to WinXP Pro.
    >
    > This is my nieces PC and between her doing an upgrade on top of WinME
    > and contracting a couple of viruses to boot, the machine was a mess.
    >
    > I did a clean install of WinXP and most things seem to be just fine.
    > Except the DVD player won't play DVDs.
    >
    > I have searched the Sony site for help but so far have only found
    > help for using the lousy recovery disks and they refuse to work with
    > WinXP. Did find notes about how Sony will not support any systems
    > with an OS that the original box was shipped with.
    >
    > I Googled the news groups and found lots of notes referring to
    > upgrading laptops and many horror stories.
    >
    > Can any offer any help with getting the DVD player to play DVDs in the
    > upgraded system?
    >
    > Thanks....

    As Jono said ..

    Though you could put a DVD film in and extract the player used, Interactual
    is a regular player used on commercial films, and has a pretty small
    'footprint' though is pretty basic in use.

    --
    Paul

    (8(|) Homer rocks .. ;)
    Paul - xxx, May 8, 2004
  4. Bishoop

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Use media player
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/gettingstarted/download/download.asp
    then get the codecs http://www.soft32.com/download_2592.html

    pcbutts1, May 8, 2004
  5. Bishoop

    Toolman Tim Guest

    <snipped as needed>
    > I'm trying to upgrade a Sony Vaio PCV RX450 (desktop) from WinME (yuck) to
    > WinXP Pro.
    > I did a clean install of WinXP and most things seem to be just fine.

    Except
    > the DVD player won't play DVDs.
    > Can any offer any help with getting the DVD player to play DVDs in the
    > upgraded system?

    download this:
    ftp://iseb2.surgi.dote.hu/Microsoft/XP/DVDPack/DVDPack.msi
    and run it. It installs the needed DVD files into Windows Media Play 9
    Toolman Tim, May 8, 2004
  6. Bishoop

    Bishoop Guest

    "Bishoop" <> wrote in message
    | I'm trying to upgrade a Sony Vaio PCV RX450 (desktop) from WinME (yuck) to
    | WinXP Pro.
    |
    | This is my nieces PC and between her doing an upgrade on top of WinME and
    | contracting a couple of viruses to boot, the machine was a mess.
    |
    | I did a clean install of WinXP and most things seem to be just fine.
    Except
    | the DVD player won't play DVDs.
    |
    | I have searched the Sony site for help but so far have only found help for
    | using the lousy recovery disks and they refuse to work with WinXP. Did
    find
    | notes about how Sony will not support any systems with an OS that the
    | original box was shipped with.
    |
    | I Googled the news groups and found lots of notes referring to upgrading
    | laptops and many horror stories.
    |
    | Can any offer any help with getting the DVD player to play DVDs in the
    | upgraded system?
    |
    | Thanks....

    Thanks to all that replied.

    I downloaded and installed Toolman's suggestion and DVDs are playing like a
    champ.

    Thanks again.
    Bishoop, May 8, 2004
  7. Bishoop

    Toolman Tim Guest

    > Thanks to all that replied.
    >
    > I downloaded and installed Toolman's suggestion and DVDs are playing like

    > champ.
    >
    > Thanks again.

    You bet. It was suggested to someone here months ago...and is the only free
    DVD solution I've found. I wanted it for my rather slow laptop too, rather
    than add one more piece of software.
    Toolman Tim, May 9, 2004