    on it (rather than fork out $1K+ for new!). Trademe has some upgrade s/w for
    sale, but can it be used twice or will MS ping me when I register it?

    gay
    brazen, Mar 27, 2006

  2. brazen

    Crash Guest

    brazen wrote:
    > Can it be used twice? Got a new laptop and want to upgrade my old Office 97
    > on it (rather than fork out $1K+ for new!). Trademe has some upgrade s/w for
    > sale, but can it be used twice or will MS ping me when I register it?
    >
    > gay

    Consider buying an academic version - you will find auctions of 'new' Office
    software for around $300 for Office Pro Academic. Anyone can bid for this. I
    bough Office Pro 2003 this way from a Trade Me store without any student or
    Teacher id.

    Crash.
    Crash, Mar 27, 2006

  3. brazen

    PC Guest

    "Crash" <> wrote in message
    > brazen wrote:
    >> Can it be used twice? Got a new laptop and want to upgrade my old Office
    >> 97 on it (rather than fork out $1K+ for new!). Trademe has some upgrade
    >> s/w for sale, but can it be used twice or will MS ping me when I register
    >> it?
    >>
    >> gay

    > Consider buying an academic version - you will find auctions of 'new'
    > Office software for around $300 for Office Pro Academic. Anyone can bid
    > for this. I bough Office Pro 2003 this way from a Trade Me store without
    > any student or Teacher id.
    >
    > Crash.

    Office Pro 2003 Academic currently available at DSE for $296.00 incl.

    P.
    PC, Mar 27, 2006
  4. brazen

    PC Guest

    "brazen" <> wrote in message
    > Can it be used twice? Got a new laptop and want to upgrade my old Office
    > 97 on it (rather than fork out $1K+ for new!). Trademe has some upgrade
    > s/w for sale, but can it be used twice or will MS ping me when I register
    > it?
    >
    > gay

    Or download and install Open Office V2 from http://www.openoffice.org/

    Totally 'free'
    Very Capable
    Includes WP/SS/DB/Presentation/Draw etc.
    Opens and saves in doc, xls. pps etc formats.

    Only catch is their macro language is not particularly MS compatible, other
    than than it's fine and at a stroke solves all the 'license' issues.

    Paul.
    PC, Mar 27, 2006
  5. brazen

    brazen Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in message

    > "brazen" <> wrote in message
    >> Can it be used twice? Got a new laptop and want to upgrade my old Office
    >> 97 on it (rather than fork out $1K+ for new!). Trademe has some upgrade
    >> s/w for sale, but can it be used twice or will MS ping me when I register
    >> it?
    >>
    >> gay

    > Or download and install Open Office V2 from http://www.openoffice.org/
    >
    > Totally 'free'
    > Very Capable
    > Includes WP/SS/DB/Presentation/Draw etc.
    > Opens and saves in doc, xls. pps etc formats.
    >
    > Only catch is their macro language is not particularly MS compatible,
    > other than than it's fine and at a stroke solves all the 'license' issues.

    I need to be able to use my existing Access DB on it, and transfer it back,
    (just in case...) Is their DB good enough to do that?

    To be honest I'm sick of MS and their ridiculous prices - costs a fortune to
    upgrade our desktops - so it would be good to kick them into touch.

    Gay
    brazen, Mar 27, 2006
  6. brazen

    PC Guest

    "brazen" <> wrote in message

    > "PC" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "brazen" <> wrote in message
    >>> Can it be used twice? Got a new laptop and want to upgrade my old Office
    >>> 97 on it (rather than fork out $1K+ for new!). Trademe has some upgrade
    >>> s/w for sale, but can it be used twice or will MS ping me when I
    >>> register it?
    >>>
    >>> gay

    >> Or download and install Open Office V2 from http://www.openoffice.org/
    >>
    >> Totally 'free'
    >> Very Capable
    >> Includes WP/SS/DB/Presentation/Draw etc.
    >> Opens and saves in doc, xls. pps etc formats.
    >>
    >> Only catch is their macro language is not particularly MS compatible,
    >> other than than it's fine and at a stroke solves all the 'license'
    >> issues.
    >>

    > I need to be able to use my existing Access DB on it, and transfer it
    > back, (just in case...) Is their DB good enough to do that?
    >
    > To be honest I'm sick of MS and their ridiculous prices - costs a fortune
    > to upgrade our desktops - so it would be good to kick them into touch.
    >
    > Gay

    Gay

    I guess it depends on what degree of complexity there is in your 'existing'
    Access DB.
    I have just tried connecting to an Address database I have in both Access 97
    and 2002 formats.
    It's just a simple table with one query to sort on surname.
    OO base opened it by creating a new db and showed the table and the query
    without problems.

    As for editing it and then transfering it back to Access I'm afraid I
    haven't got that far yet.
    All I can point to is the manuals page
    http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/
    Though I note if you Google 'Openoffice 2 database manual' there is several
    leads to instruction and advice pages.

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PC, Mar 28, 2006
  7. brazen

    RJ Guest

    In article <8SNVf.8881$>,
    lid says...
    > brazen wrote:
    > > Can it be used twice? Got a new laptop and want to upgrade my old Office 97
    > > on it (rather than fork out $1K+ for new!). Trademe has some upgrade s/w for
    > > sale, but can it be used twice or will MS ping me when I register it?
    > >
    > > gay
    > >

    > Consider buying an academic version - you will find auctions of 'new' Office
    > software for around $300 for Office Pro Academic. Anyone can bid for this. I
    > bough Office Pro 2003 this way from a Trade Me store without any student or
    > Teacher id.

    Doesn't matter how you buy it, the license is invalid if you are not a
    qualified educational user.
    RJ, Mar 28, 2006
  8. brazen

    Crash Guest

    RJ wrote:
    > In article <8SNVf.8881$>,
    > lid says...
    >
    >>brazen wrote:
    >>
    >>>Can it be used twice? Got a new laptop and want to upgrade my old Office 97
    >>>on it (rather than fork out $1K+ for new!). Trademe has some upgrade s/w for
    >>>sale, but can it be used twice or will MS ping me when I register it?
    >>>
    >>>gay
    >>>

    >>Consider buying an academic version - you will find auctions of 'new' Office
    >>software for around $300 for Office Pro Academic. Anyone can bid for this. I
    >>bough Office Pro 2003 this way from a Trade Me store without any student or
    >>Teacher id.

    > Doesn't matter how you buy it, the license is invalid if you are not a
    > qualified educational user.

    Correct but how on earth can this be enforced? I bought the product without
    having to produce any evidence of academic involvement. In the past my wife's
    cousin (a teacher) has bought software on my behalf and sold it to me at cost
    and unopened. In fact once she 'bought' it and I paid for it at a bona fide
    retailer.

    Crash.
    Crash, Mar 28, 2006
  9. brazen

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <8S6Wf.9176$>,
    Crash <> wrote:

    >Correct but how on earth can this be enforced?

    You can bet that Microsoft would attempt to enforce it quickly enough if
    they found significant use of academic versions for commercial (money
    making) purposes, or if such use significantly ate into sales of the more
    expensive licenses. Likewise, it's not valid to use a differently licensed
    version to reload a box that came with an OEM license. If your preloaded box
    dies, your only valid options for reload are to take it back to the
    preloader or to use the preloader-supplied recovery or OEM disk. Microsoft
    choose not to enforce this in cases where it's a genuine recovery situation,
    but you can bet that if you bought several hundred ex-lease machines and
    reloaded them from, for example, a retail CD and used the reg codes on the
    case stickers, then sold the machines on, Microsoft would have something to
    say about it.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    Don Hills, Mar 28, 2006
  10. brazen

    brazen Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in message

    > "brazen" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "PC" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "brazen" <> wrote in message

    >>> Or download and install Open Office V2 from http://www.openoffice.org/
    >>>
    >>> Totally 'free'
    >>> Very Capable
    >>> Includes WP/SS/DB/Presentation/Draw etc.
    >>> Opens and saves in doc, xls. pps etc formats.
    >>>
    >>> Only catch is their macro language is not particularly MS compatible,
    >>> other than than it's fine and at a stroke solves all the 'license'
    >>> issues.
    >>>

    >> I need to be able to use my existing Access DB on it, and transfer it
    >> back, (just in case...) Is their DB good enough to do that?
    >>
    >> To be honest I'm sick of MS and their ridiculous prices - costs a fortune
    >> to upgrade our desktops - so it would be good to kick them into touch.
    >>
    >> Gay

    > Gay
    >
    > I guess it depends on what degree of complexity there is in your
    > 'existing' Access DB.
    > I have just tried connecting to an Address database I have in both Access
    > 97 and 2002 formats.
    > It's just a simple table with one query to sort on surname.
    > OO base opened it by creating a new db and showed the table and the query
    > without problems.
    >
    > As for editing it and then transfering it back to Access I'm afraid I
    > haven't got that far yet.
    > All I can point to is the manuals page
    > http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/
    > Though I note if you Google 'Openoffice 2 database manual' there is
    > several leads to instruction and advice pages.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul.

    Thanks Paul, I'll give it a go.

    Gay
    brazen, Mar 29, 2006
  11. brazen

    Crash Guest

    Don Hills wrote:
    > In article <8S6Wf.9176$>,
    > Crash <> wrote:
    >
    >>Correct but how on earth can this be enforced?

    > You can bet that Microsoft would attempt to enforce it quickly enough if
    > they found significant use of academic versions for commercial (money
    > making) purposes, or if such use significantly ate into sales of the more
    > expensive licenses. Likewise, it's not valid to use a differently licensed
    > version to reload a box that came with an OEM license. If your preloaded box
    > dies, your only valid options for reload are to take it back to the
    > preloader or to use the preloader-supplied recovery or OEM disk. Microsoft
    > choose not to enforce this in cases where it's a genuine recovery situation,
    > but you can bet that if you bought several hundred ex-lease machines and
    > reloaded them from, for example, a retail CD and used the reg codes on the
    > case stickers, then sold the machines on, Microsoft would have something to
    > say about it.

    I could understand an MS crackdown if a commercial enterprise was found to have
    academic-license software installed. In my and (as far as I know) for the OP
    the software is for personal use. We qualify as users - but not purchasers.

    Crash.
    Crash, Mar 30, 2006