    issue to watch out for? Also, should the DIMMS be 100Mghz? Any help and
    suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    -D-

    Dwayne Epps, Oct 22, 2003

  2. why not google for it? Just type the motherboard model number into the
    search engine.

    "Dwayne Epps" <> wrote in message
    > I have a Microstar MS-5169 motherboard. I'm looking to upgrade the
    > processor and add additional memory. Currently, I have an AMD K6 350mghz
    > processor and 196MB of RAM. I bought the PC second hand and don't have

    the
    > motherboard manual. Where can I find information on the max speed of a
    > processor the board can handle without overclocking? Anything I should
    > watch out for when upgrading the processor? What type of memory should I
    > use to upgrade? Any type in particular? If I remember, I have three DIMM
    > slots. Would the board be able to handle three 256MB DIMMS totaling 768MB
    > or will the board only handle 128MB per slot? I wasn't sure if that was

    an

    Ronnie Broyles, Oct 22, 2003

  3. Dwayne Epps

    Dwayne Epps Guest

    Thanks for replying to my post. I have been doing searches and have found
    some information on my board. I was just looking for some additional
    information and help as I wanted to be certain I am choosing the right
    hardware for my board. From what I found, I can install three 168pin 256MB
    SDRAM DIMMS. I was uncertain about getting ECC or not? I also wasn't sure
    wheter the memory needed to be 66mhz or 100mhz? I believe the board
    supports 100mhz memory? There are a lot of third party manufacturers of
    memory, so is there a preferrable company that I should buy the memory from
    that conforms to the necessary memory standards? I would hate to buy new
    memory and it not work. So, any opinions on that would be helpful.

    As far as the information I found on the processor upgrade, it showed that I
    could upgrade to an AMD K6-2/III 450Mhz. If you have any comments on this
    processor, or suggestions on these upgrades I would greatly appreciate it.
    I don't know much about processors and just wanted opinions or anything to
    watch out for.

    Again, thank you for responding and offering any help.
    -D-

    Dwayne Epps, Oct 22, 2003
  4. Ok, first I have looked at the motherboard specs.

    You can support up to 768 Mb of PC100 Ram--assuming you have a processor
    running at 100mhz and not 66Mhz. Just because your FSb can operate at 100
    does not mean that is what your processor is. So if you install a processor
    running at 100Mhz FSB, then buy PC100, if you have a processor running at
    66mhz, then buy PC66. This aides in system stability. Also, make sure you
    do not install more ram than what can be cached, because if your installed
    ram is more than what can actually cacheable by your system, it could slow
    your system down.
    As for memory--I like Kingston--lifetime warranty. PC100 is very cheap
    right now. Right now I am using PNY and I like it as well.
    Also, I would suggest a motherboard change--the Aladdin 5 chipset is rather
    old, and I would suggest something a little newer--if you don't want to
    spend alot of money you can get one of the older KT133 or KT266 chipsets, or
    maybe the Socket 423 P4--always look at the chipset, because that determines
    the other specs for your MB.

    Ronnie Broyles, Oct 22, 2003
  5. Dwayne Epps

    Dwayne Epps Guest

    Thank you Ronnie. I appreciate your help and the information! It was
    extremely beneficial, so I don't go make a mistake on an upgrade. Thanks
    again.

    Dwayne Epps, Oct 22, 2003
  6. Dwayne Epps

    Tony Sivori Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:52:31 -0500, Dwayne Epps wrote:

    > I have a Microstar MS-5169 motherboard.

    Here's then manual for it, in case you haven't already found it.
    <http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/manual/mnu/spt_mnu_detail.php?UID=102>

    If the above link wraps:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?B34765156

    --