    using. Will I have to do a clean install?

    --
    Thanks
    Kevin Haas, May 24, 2005

  2. Kevin Haas

    f.stone Guest

    Kevin Haas schrieb:
    > I am currently running XP Por (SP2) with a ASUS A7N8X board (Athlon 2600)
    > processor. My processor died and I am going to purchase a new ASUS 64 bit
    > board and processor. I wish to use the same hard drive that I'm currently
    > using. Will I have to do a clean install?

    Hi Kevin

    Yes, you should reinstall Windows Xp, because the Hard drive will not
    boot correctly.
    I hope i can help you. When you have different questions you can ask me.
    f.stone, May 24, 2005

  3. Kevin Haas

    Plato Guest

    Kevin Haas wrote:

    > I am currently running XP Por (SP2) with a ASUS A7N8X board (Athlon 2600)
    > processor. My processor died and I am going to purchase a new ASUS 64 bit
    > board and processor. I wish to use the same hard drive that I'm currently
    > using. Will I have to do a clean install?

    No, you will most likely have to do a repair install.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, May 25, 2005
  4. "f.stone" <> wrote in message
    > Kevin Haas schrieb:
    > > I am currently running XP Por (SP2) with a ASUS A7N8X board (Athlon

    2600)
    > > processor. My processor died and I am going to purchase a new ASUS 64

    bit
    > > board and processor. I wish to use the same hard drive that I'm

    currently
    > > using. Will I have to do a clean install?
    > >

    > Hi Kevin
    >
    > Yes, you should reinstall Windows Xp, because the Hard drive will not
    > boot correctly.
    > I hope i can help you. When you have different questions you can ask me.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!
    You fucking moron.
    Philtie McNawty @ work, May 25, 2005
  5. Kevin Haas

    JTJersey Guest

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 01:40:03 -0500, Plato wrote:

    > Kevin Haas wrote:
    >>
    >> I am currently running XP Por (SP2) with a ASUS A7N8X board (Athlon 2600)
    >> processor. My processor died and I am going to purchase a new ASUS 64 bit
    >> board and processor. I wish to use the same hard drive that I'm currently
    >> using. Will I have to do a clean install?

    > No, you will most likely have to do a repair install.

    And undoubtedly call in to Microsoft to request a new activation number.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, May 25, 2005
  6. Kevin Haas

    John Guest

    On Tue, 24 May 2005 09:24:14 -0400, Kevin Haas wrote:

    > I am currently running XP Por (SP2) with a ASUS A7N8X board (Athlon 2600)
    > processor. My processor died and I am going to purchase a new ASUS 64 bit
    > board and processor. I wish to use the same hard drive that I'm currently
    > using. Will I have to do a clean install?

    Recently changed a faulty motherboard with a new one (Soltek) done a
    repair installation afterwards and everything worked fine, no
    programmes or data lost. I was using Windows XP Home (SP1) but
    slipstreamed with (SP2) before doing the upgrade.

    Regards,
    John
    John, May 25, 2005
  7. "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 25 May 2005 01:40:03 -0500, Plato wrote:
    >
    > > Kevin Haas wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I am currently running XP Por (SP2) with a ASUS A7N8X board (Athlon

    2600)
    > >> processor. My processor died and I am going to purchase a new ASUS 64

    bit
    > >> board and processor. I wish to use the same hard drive that I'm

    currently
    > >> using. Will I have to do a clean install?

    > > No, you will most likely have to do a repair install.

    > And undoubtedly call in to Microsoft to request a new activation number.

    I've done it numerous times and never had to reactivate. Did a 'standing
    upgrade' once and did... but never with the repair install.
    Jess Fertudei, May 26, 2005
  8. Kevin Haas

    JTJersey Guest

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 22:55:20 -0400, Jess Fertudei wrote:

    > "JTJersey" <> wrote in message

    > 2600)

    > bit

    > currently
    >> >
    >> > No, you will most likely have to do a repair install.

    >> And undoubtedly call in to Microsoft to request a new activation
    >> number.

    > I've done it numerous times and never had to reactivate. Did a 'standing
    > upgrade' once and did... but never with the repair install.

    But replacing the motherboard is a major change and I'd be real surprised
    if you got away with that one without calling in. Simply moving to a
    larger hard drive in an original system has always forced me to
    reactivate.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, May 26, 2005
  9. Kevin Haas

    JTJersey Guest

    > BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA! Linux makes you fucking stupid.

    I think you have to start out stupid, otherwise none of us would ever get
    involved with this crap to begin with.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, May 26, 2005
  10. Kevin Haas

    John Guest

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 06:12:48 -0400, JTJersey wrote:

    > On Wed, 25 May 2005 22:55:20 -0400, Jess Fertudei wrote:
    >

    >> "JTJersey" <> wrote in message

    >> 2600)

    >> bit

    >> currently

    >>> And undoubtedly call in to Microsoft to request a new activation
    >>> number.

    >> I've done it numerous times and never had to reactivate. Did a 'standing
    >> upgrade' once and did... but never with the repair install.

    > But replacing the motherboard is a major change and I'd be real surprised
    > if you got away with that one without calling in. Simply moving to a
    > larger hard drive in an original system has always forced me to
    > reactivate.

    I've replaced the motherboard without being asked to reactivate (few
    months ago). Installed a larger hard drive two weeks ago not asked to
    reactivate.

    My Windows xp home edition is an unbranded oem version.

    In case you wondering, no, I haven't used a activation crack. My
    software is a legal version purchased some years ago:)

    Regards,
    John
    John, May 26, 2005
  11. "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 25 May 2005 22:55:20 -0400, Jess Fertudei wrote:
    >

    > > "JTJersey" <> wrote in message

    > > 2600)

    > > bit

    > > currently

    > >> And undoubtedly call in to Microsoft to request a new activation
    > >> number.

    > > I've done it numerous times and never had to reactivate. Did a 'standing
    > > upgrade' once and did... but never with the repair install.

    > But replacing the motherboard is a major change and I'd be real surprised
    > if you got away with that one without calling in. Simply moving to a
    > larger hard drive in an original system has always forced me to
    > reactivate.

    Like I said... I've done it numerous times with new boards. If you just
    ghosted your drive then you did something wrong as I've done that several
    times, too. If you started out slick and installed then that's not a repair
    install... that's a fresh install and of course you'd be starting over.

    A properly done 'repair install', (not the repair console, btw) has never
    caused me to reactivate yet. The only time I had to reactivate was when I
    did a standing upgrade, as per a MS tech support person who I called after
    seeing one bizarre event after another that I could not explain (turned out
    to be bad capacitors on a K7S5A, but how could they have known that,
    although I felt at the time like I may as well have called my sister). I
    have always done a repair install after that and never had an issue and have
    done it on other machines than my own. The trick to a successful repair
    install, by my understanding, is to put the new board or whatever in and go
    directly to the CMOS without booting Windows... then put in the Windows CD
    after doing your settings and making sure it is set to boot from CD before
    HD. If you let it boot to Windows first then you may have issues I'm told,
    but I really can't say from experience there as I never let it boot to the
    drive.

    Do a google on Repair Install and see what you see... you're likely doing
    something wrong.

    Of course, YMMV.
    Jess Fertudei, May 26, 2005
  12. Kevin Haas

    JTJersey Guest

    >>> I've done it numerous times and never had to reactivate. Did a
    >>> 'standing upgrade' once and did... but never with the repair install.

    >> But replacing the motherboard is a major change and I'd be real
    >> surprised if you got away with that one without calling in. Simply
    >> moving to a larger hard drive in an original system has always forced
    >> me to reactivate.

    > I've replaced the motherboard without being asked to reactivate (few
    > months ago). Installed a larger hard drive two weeks ago not asked to
    > reactivate.
    >
    > My Windows xp home edition is an unbranded oem version.
    >
    > In case you wondering, no, I haven't used a activation crack. My
    > software is a legal version purchased some years ago:)
    >
    > Regards,
    > John

    This is very odd. What you and Jess Fertudel are saying seems to
    contradict everything I've heard of MS Activations, however this is a good
    thing, as I'm replacing a bad mainboard with an identical, but newer one
    and this could make things a lot simpler. By the way, when you installed
    the larger hard drive was it a clean install or did you clone over to it?
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, May 26, 2005
  13. Kevin Haas

    John Guest

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 18:18:45 -0400, JTJersey wrote:

    >>> But replacing the motherboard is a major change and I'd be real
    >>> surprised if you got away with that one without calling in. Simply
    >>> moving to a larger hard drive in an original system has always forced
    >>> me to reactivate.

    >> I've replaced the motherboard without being asked to reactivate (few
    >> months ago). Installed a larger hard drive two weeks ago not asked to
    >> reactivate.
    >>
    >> My Windows xp home edition is an unbranded oem version.
    >>
    >> In case you wondering, no, I haven't used a activation crack. My
    >> software is a legal version purchased some years ago:)
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> John

    > This is very odd. What you and Jess Fertudel are saying seems to
    > contradict everything I've heard of MS Activations, however this is a good
    > thing, as I'm replacing a bad mainboard with an identical, but newer one
    > and this could make things a lot simpler. By the way, when you installed
    > the larger hard drive was it a clean install or did you clone over to it?

    Using Trueimage software I restored an image from my old drive to the
    new.
    To clarify the situation - before changing to the new hard drive, I
    made an image of my main drive to a second hard drive that was
    installed in my machine.
    I then removed the main drive and installed the new larger drive
    booted into setup to make sure that the drive was recognised in the
    Bios setup then booted to the Trueimage boot disk (CD) and restored
    the image from the second hard drive.

    It's my understanding that if you are replacing the old motherboard
    with a new identical motherboard you shouldn't have any problems. In
    my case when I changed the motherboard, the existing motherboard was
    obsolete so though it was from the same manufacture, it was a
    different model - still had no problems. Suggest you note the last
    message from Jess Fertudel and follow his instructions about not
    booting into Windows before doing the repair installation.

    Indecently, if you post a similar question about replacing a
    motherboard and reactivating in the Windows xp newsgroups you'll get
    dire warnings that it can't be done using an oem version of the
    software:)

    Regards,
    John.
    John, May 27, 2005